Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  21
Author: Subject: Mexico Re-open?
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2020 at 03:52 PM

When I look at the coronavirus daily statistics, it is not any safer to reopen now than it was in March. In fact, it is more dangerous now because there are more infected people around, and daily cases keep coming. They will probably start reopening sector by sector some time in May, and it will be done for purely economic reasons. I hope they will not reopen US borders for another couple of months, nothing good will come out of this for the neighbors both South and North.
pacificobob
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2020 at 04:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Quote: Originally posted by BobbyC  
The US is most certainly going to go through a very painful and slow recovery and Mexico will probably have an even harder time ever getting back to even with the price of oil so low and tourism nearly zero. But something tells me that the average American is going to complain a lot more than the average Mexican.

South of the border people are much more accustomed to dealing with and adapting to a bad hand of cards and while they won't be as well off financially, I really believe that they'll be a lot happier overall in dealing with whatever lies ahead.

We Americans are spoiled and are not well equipped to deal with this as our parents and grandparents were a century ago.

NO truer words have ever been spoken...................

X3!
bajabuddha
Banned

Mood: Always cranky unless medicated

[*] posted on 4-24-2020 at 04:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  
Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

There is a heard immunity and then there is a heard behavior.
Never have understood why folks govern their behavior on hearsay. ;D

I wonder if the HERD HEARD of that? :?:

I don't have a BUCKET LIST, but I do have a F***- IT LIST a mile long!

86 - 45*

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2020 at 04:56 PM

The curve of new cases has not plateaued yet, it's still going up, i.e. every week more new cases than in the week before.

What is up with that? I look at the graphs of France, Germany, Spain, and Italy and the number of cases have all gone down. What are we doing wrong? NY case load hasn't dropped an iota in almost 3 weeks despite the lockdown. We were told that we can't match China because we're a democracy but these European countries are all western democracies.

The initial projection with lockdowns was to be 100,00 - 240,000. Then they said we're doing great it will be 60,000. Well, we're at 50,000 now and losing about 2,000 a day. There goes that projection. And they're projecting a vaccine in 12-18 months? It's hard to trust them.

[Edited on 4-24-2020 by Skipjack Joe]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-24-2020 at 04:58 PM
What the Herd Heard

Given the context, it might have been a malapropism or (intended) sarcasm. The herd's behavior is based upon what they've heard, seen, read.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2020 at 05:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by paranewbi  
San Clemente opened beaches and surf yesterday...watched with envy on surfline cam as guys surfed in beautiful water and sunshine. People hung out on beach and lifeguards drifted by.

Sunset Cliffs here in San Diego was crowded for sunset and everyone's waiting for the beaches to open in a day or two. Mission trails and parks are open for walking now also.

Maybe Mexico will have the benefit of observing how it goes here and if it goes well, then they will follow suit in a few weeks or so.

Clean post. Informative. Tied into thread subject as a noted opportunity to observe progress of trend in cited cases of re-opening certain limited spaces with a benefit for Mexico to take note of outcome.

Then used by others as an opportunity to vent and introduce non-topic responses. Who'd of thought.
BobbyC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2020 at 08:35 AM

San Clemente opened beaches and surf yesterday...watched with envy on surfline cam as guys surfed in beautiful water and sunshine. People hung out on beach and lifeguards drifted by.

Sunset Cliffs here in San Diego was crowded for sunset and everyone's waiting for the beaches to open in a day or two. Mission trails and parks are open for walking now also.

Maybe Mexico will have the benefit of observing how it goes here and if it goes well, then they will follow suit in a few weeks or so.

Clean post. Informative. Tied into thread subject as a noted opportunity to observe progress of trend in cited cases of re-opening certain limited spaces with a benefit for Mexico to take note of outcome.

Then used by others as an opportunity to vent and introduce non-topic responses. Who'd of thought.

Could be due to the fact that it made ZERO sense to suggest that Mexico could have even thought about reopening in a "few weeks". Have you paid any attention whatsoever to what is happening south of the border right now with the daily new cases growing exponentially?

Mexico is nowhere near being able to even think about "reopening" yet. Especially in light of all the reports of a massive lack in testing with some believing the real numbers to be anywhere from 30 to 50 times higher.

MxNewCases.jpg - 67kB

[Edited on 4-25-2020 by BobbyC]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-25-2020 at 09:08 AM
Not Knowing where they were Going, BUT ..........

So Cal is on the move.

Surprisingly, yesterday's midday traffic (cars, trucks, SUVs, RVs) through Yucca Valley out on Hwy 62 was heavy as any Getaway day prior to the crisis. It took (2) signal cycles to get through the 62/247 intersection.

Like it or not, crowded times are coming here and elsewhere.

We'll see how it turns out. I've got no problem with the coming and going. It's the getting-together that's the worry.

Last Monday, finally giving in to mi esposa's nagging and yielding to the growing hunger for KFC, we did a drive-through in Banning. The process and exchange between the staff and me was a bit weird, but understandable. So far, so good. Still undecided on tempting fate again today on the way up the mountain.

Having to take mi esposa to the "Urgent Care" ayer was even scarier. Especially, since the visit ended up taking nearly (3) hours.

NORMAL is WAY over the far horizon.

Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2020 at 11:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  

The curve of new cases has not plateaued yet, it's still going up, i.e. every week more new cases than in the week before.

What is up with that? I look at the graphs of France, Germany, Spain, and Italy and the number of cases have all gone down. What are we doing wrong?

One possible explanation is that European countries have higher population density and more "social" culture. They've gone through this faster than the Americas. Everybody got infected, 4-7% died, the rest have recovered, hard to tell for how long. They are still seeing some re-infected patients. Unknown number of people left with damage to liver and heart.
paranewbi
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2020 at 12:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lencho  

"if it all goes well... a few weeks or so". Did you notice the preposition before the modified sentence? If and or so are what you fail to see.

I guess it's true what they say, 'write on a seventh grade level'.

Devastating argument which surely will shut up that illiterate. :lol:

Say, you are aware that "if" is a conjunction, right?

I get it, you were just being sarcastic, but still... ;)

If is also a conditional clause which is the more pertinent use. Of course the reply from the original poster was a go to distraction of posting a photo of Trump...that was my second post; a valid clean post gets responded to with distraction.
Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-25-2020 at 04:43 PM

Here Comes the Sun: The Good News about COVID-19 the Media Apparently Doesn't Want You to Know

https://pjmedia.com/trending/here-comes-the-sun-the-good-new...
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2020 at 08:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Feathers  
Here Comes the Sun: The Good News about COVID-19 the Media Apparently Doesn't Want You to Know

I would like to see where these numbers are coming from.

Sources like Webmd are more reliable, with references to studies published in serious journals. Here it is on heat, UV and humidity: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200409/dont-count-on-warme....

Population study:
"...the spread ability of COVID-19 would not change with increasing temperature. Likewise, adjusting for temperature and humidity, the amount of UV sunlight also didn't affect transmission rates".

Lab study:
"...show a relationship between higher temperatures and humidity levels and reduced survival of the COVID-19 virus in the laboratory". Note: in laboratory.
Feathers
Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-26-2020 at 06:54 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Feathers  

I would like to see where these numbers are coming from.

Sources like Webmd are more reliable, with references to studies published in serious journals. Here it is on heat, UV and humidity: https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20200409/dont-count-on-warme....

Population study:
"...the spread ability of COVID-19 would not change with increasing temperature. Likewise, adjusting for temperature and humidity, the amount of UV sunlight also didn't affect transmission rates".

Lab study:
"...show a relationship between higher temperatures and humidity levels and reduced survival of the COVID-19 virus in the laboratory". Note: in laboratory.

As I mentioned in a previous post, we're talking about 2 separate things.

Transmission of the virus vs. shelf life of the virus.

You're skeptical of scientific 'laboratory' results and Bill Bryan, Under secretary for Science and Technology at DHS?

Webmd is certainly more reliable? ok, then.

BajaMama
Super Nomad

Mood: Got Baja fever!!

[*] posted on 4-26-2020 at 08:23 AM

Speaking of more traffic - here in Nor Cal we noticed it last couple of days. We figure peeps heading out to enjoy the fabulous weather. Saw trucks loaded with camping gear. I hope they plan to do what ever they do in a way that keeps peeps safe.

There are still way too many variables to rationally discuss what we should do regarding this virus. But one thing is for sure: I have never seen so many differing opinions and conspiracy theories! We do know however, that this virus has been here longer than originally suspected. Who know what the implications could be, positive or negative? Only time will tell.

Bottom line of shelter at home health orders: To allow the medical professionals to treat those who are sick without overwhelming the system. To give people a chance to survive. NYC was horrid. CA closed up early and we have flattened the curve. We can only get to business as usual so long as we have ample medical care to care for the sick.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2020 at 10:50 AM

I don't know if this is the wrong thread for this, but does anyone have any info on Baja reopening? I've heard you can still travel freely for most of Baja. Any recent info anyone?

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
BobbyC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2020 at 11:03 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
I don't know if this is the wrong thread for this, but does anyone have any info on Baja reopening? I've heard you can still travel freely for most of Baja. Any recent info anyone?

Sorry amigo - I'll try and help us get back on track.

Based on what I am hearing and seeing, in spite of of some communities down here setting up roadblocks to prevent tourism access, it appears that they are allowing foreigners through if their travel itinerary is centered on "getting home". You likely will need to be able to communicate that objective.

I have heard some folks still getting through as tourists but I wouldn't make your travel plans around those reports as you could be in for a big disappointment.

Hope that helps. Bon voyage.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2020 at 10:20 AM

Just saw this for BCS....

http://www.californiahoyusa.com/2020/04/36-hour-arrest-for-a...

Does anyone know if BCN has a similar restriction?

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
Alm
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2020 at 12:14 PM

A week ago Mexico had elevated the status of the pandemic to Phase 3. It means the number of new cases and deaths will increase most rapidly.

I vaguely recall they were considering to "begin" the re-opening of economy - not necessarily the borders - at the end of June if (IF) these measures work. They are projecting a peak of the virus in Mexico in mid-May. I guess until the end of May the situation won't be clear. It's too early to speculate on the re-opening date.
Bajazly
Senior Nomad

Mood: More Relaxed Everyday

[*] posted on 4-27-2020 at 01:54 PM

This sounds kind of serious in BCS, nothing like this in SF.

http://www.californiahoyusa.com/2020/04/36-hour-arrest-for-a...

Believing is religion - Knowing is science

Harald Pietschmann

"Get off the beaten path and memories, friends and new techniques are developed"

Bajazly, August 2019
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2020 at 01:37 PM

We travel freely in BCS, to the store, to complete errands, essential workers continue, totally normal except you may say hi at a transit filter during a trip. Thieves wondering about with no purpose are discouraged and may be held temporarily though the changes don't seem to be an actual multa. Though rich gingos seem to misunderstand a lot and may find themselves easy picking for local corruption, for not wearing a mask, which is not actually a thing. You may not drive around drunk having a party, but that is normal too.

[Edited on 4-29-2020 by gnukid]
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  21

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.