BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Current price of eggs where you are?
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Hey LonglegsinLaPaz,
Where do you get your eggs?

The ones I posted the price for just happened to come from Chedraui. But I've been known to buy them locally in Centenario as well....just no receipts from the small community tiendas.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 08:08 PM

I bought a dozen eggs yeaterday at Albertson for $1.50 with discount card. The prices run all over the place. Range free $3.39, organic up to $3.69. Some brown and some white. I'm cheap.
oldtortisegrl
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 08:38 PM

free range hormone free are $3.39/dz in norcal. Conventional eggs $2.29 give or take. What did you pay?
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 09:06 PM

Tope stores - S of Mulege $30 / flat of 30, sizes vary. Farm fresh.

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 09:14 PM

feed yo chicken and dem eggs de free.
fixtrauma
Nomad

Mood: Monomaniac

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 01:43 AM
Large colored eggs at great price.

Grandaughter Madalyn holding the rooster that keeps our chickens happy!

Rooster keeping happy laying in the feed.

Madalyn and Elijah gatherin' the eggs.

Dozen of green, brown and white eggs. All of them with very orange yolks from happy chickens.

Green egg from an Araucana chicken. As you see, their eggs can be great size also. It is tipping the scales to the top!

Other than when we have young chickens, it is very rare to see a small or medium egg. We do miss these eggs when we are spending time across the border.
Joelt
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 04:53 AM

Those look just like the ones I was talking about. Some look almost blue.

Joelt
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 05:30 AM

Great photos and storyline, fixtrauma. Reminds me of an earlier life doing battle with a certain leghorn rooster outside when I was supposed to be inside the coop gathering eggs. I recall my mother's voice from long ago, scattering feed from her apron..."Here, chick, chick, chick..."

Your hen's eggs look much better than ones bought here in southern Baja. Plus the price you GET from having your own layers is priceless ...and you get to enjoy the look of wonder & discovery on your grandchildren's faces.

Bravo, amigo..you've given me the impetus for a new project Up North this spring. A chicken coop.

Extra-large multi-hued eggs coming soon. First I need to find my mother's old apron....."Here, chick, chick, chick..."

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 05:34 AM

That egg scale has to be older than dirt.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 06:12 AM

i'm wrong again...

i look in the fridg...

the flat is 30 eggs

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 06:35 AM

In spanish we say;
Los huevos cuestan un huevo. ;D

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 06:47 AM

On the subject of eggs- I was always told by my mother and grandmother to refrigerate eggs. And, they always seem to be in the cooler in the States. However, we noticed on our trips to Mexico that they are never in the cooler. What is the story?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
On the subject of eggs- I was always told by my mother and grandmother to refrigerate eggs. And, they always seem to be in the cooler in the States. However, we noticed on our trips to Mexico that they are never in the cooler. What is the story?

absinvestor...Always trust your mother.

First, some info about buying eggs. Look further into the standards for "premium" eggs...so stated at your supermarket. It may not be the egg you think it is.. ;D

Organic eggs generally come from chickens that are fed organic feed (little or no pesticide and herbicide use, non-GMO) and are not given antibiotics unless necessary to control infection. They are given access to the outdoors for at least some part of the year, although that does not mean they actually go outdoors.

"Free range" and "cage free" are terms not regulated in the US, which means anyone can label any egg "free range" no matter how the chickens were raised.

The best way to determine how the hens are raised is to purchase your eggs from a farmer whose farm you can visit to see for yourself. Most of the farms in my home state have free range, cage free chickens these days.....which is just the plain old-fashioned way it's always been for small farmers all over the States.

Refrigerated eggs or room-temp eggs?

When possible.....one should alway purchase eggs from a refrigerator case at the store. Store eggs at home in their original carton, in the refrigerator, for up to five weeks after their purchase.

How to tell a good egg from a bad egg...and how to store them.

Like all natural foods, eggs are best consumed in thier freshest state.

First, check for freshness.

This is easy to do in the USA..
Check the expiration date. This would be stamped on the box or carton. There will also be a "pack date" shown in numbers from 1 to 365 (for example, 248 is the 248th day of the year, or September 5). Be sure you will be able to consume all the eggs before they're expected to go bad.

Forget about that in Baja. You will have to trust the word of your grocer about the eggs age and care. And of course, most are not refrigerated anyway, so that increases a possible health risk.

When buying from the farmer's market..or in Baja... where eggs have no stamped expiration date, hold the egg against a strong source of light. Look for the air bubble at the rounded end of the egg. The smaller the air bubble, the fresher the egg (almost invisible in newly-laid eggs). We used this method on our ranch when I was a kid making egg money.

When you get home, you can check this way, too. Put the egg in a cup of cold water. If it sinks and remains still, it's fresh; if it tilts or floats, it's going bad. If it sinks, it's good.

Weigh the egg in your hand. If it feels heavy for its size, it's good.

When you break the egg, a fresh one will have a thick white and a round and firm yolk. As the egg loses its freshness, the white becomes thinner and runnier, and the yolk becomes flatter and softer (breaks easily).

Break it and smell it. A bad egg smells like a bad egg. :rolleyes:

Refrigerate Until Ready For Use

Keep the eggs in their original cartons, with the rounded ends up.

Place the carton on the lowest rack or a little towards the back--the coldest areas of the refrigerator.

Keep the egg cartons closed to minimize exposure to strong odors.

Take the eggs out of the refrigerator ahead of time (to warm up to room temperature) for soft boiling or baking. Cold eggs will crack when dropped in boiling water, cold whites will not whisk well, and cold yolks will not blend well in sauces and mayonnaise. Your grandmother knew all this....

As a normal precaution when buying Baja room temp/unrefrigerated eggs, one should really learn salmonella symptoms, causes, & how to avoid getting sick.

Now...where's my Eggs Benedict, Co-Pilot?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 08:45 PM

Pompano-thanks for an informative post. Ron
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 09:24 PM

Wow, you guys really know a good egg when you see one. JH :lol::lol::lol:
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 09:28 PM

"Free range" and "cage free" are terms not regulated in the US, which means anyone can label any egg "free range" no matter how the chickens were raised.

One can have a barn of 10,000 sq ft. In it....one chicken per sq ft. That is legally called free range!!!!!! They the chickens just are not in a cage. Insanely misleading.

I agree...go to the ranch/farm and see the conditions. Or ask the seller about the conditions.

Good topic.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
fixtrauma
Nomad

Mood: Monomaniac

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

First, check for freshness.

This is easy to do in the USA..
Check the expiration date. This would be stamped on the box or carton. There will also be a "pack date" shown in numbers from 1 to 365 (for example, 248 is the 248th day of the year, or September 5). Be sure you will be able to consume all the eggs before they're expected to go bad.

Hey Pompano...........I thought a "fresh" egg was when you could still hear the hen clucking about her achievment when you ate the omlet!!:lol::lol::lol::lol:
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 09:03 AM
Never Met a Bad Egg (in the U.S.)

EVER.

Shop the Best Price. Forget all the rest.

Having gone through the Chicken (and egg) routine more than once as a child when the Patron was going through one of his "Farmer John" phases, I have NEVER had any desire to do anything but eat them and their embryo.

Whenever the Vegan subject comes up, I like to say that I would never, under any circumstances, feel the need since there would ALWAYS be Chicken.

I HATE those little Bastards. Except on the table.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2011 at 04:33 PM

according to my Polish husband ( who is always right ...big sigh ...) the way to tell if the egg is freshest is when you shake it and there is nothing loose inside. He does this with every egg here in Baja and you would be surprised at how many do NOT pass his inspection ritual :o

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.