BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  14
Author: Subject: MIKE YOUNGHUSBAND/ DON-KAY NEEDED ASSISTANCE, but not anymore!
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 06:09 PM

Well, glad to hear Mike is OK.

Last night when I went to town I ended up at the military base and they sent out a patrol to find him. I stayed there with them until about 2:30 AM last night monitoring the radio but the last communication was that they were not able to reach Mike's coordinates from the mesa above and the shore below was inaccesible from Puerto Catarina.

So very early this AM I picked up a friend who knows the area well and we loaded up with supplies and first aid gear. It is not an easy trip out there and driving the mesa from above we could not get close. We then made the trip around and headed down to the beach at the fish camp north of Puerto Catalina and walked as far north as the tide would let us. Looking at Mikes current location we probably got within a half km of each other before we could make it no further, In fact I am quite curious how he is going to keep making it south on his current route as it is very tight and hard going for Don-Kay as far as I could see.

Right now I am at the hotel in Catavina after we had made arrangements with the local delegation to head down with a team in the morning to try and reach Mike by sea.

Looks like all is OK and we can call off the cavalry so I will pack up and head back home.

Glad to hear Mike is OK but I am concerned about his current route.

PS - Thanks to my good friend "Duro" who served as my co-pilot and navigator today. His help in getting around down there was incredible. Otherwise I would probably be sending out a SPOT help signal right about now...

[Edited on 11-21-2010 by BajaGringo]
cjesme
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 06:15 PM

WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL NEWS!!!!!

Carlita and Esteban
Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 06:21 PM

Well done on your attempt, that was very kind to try and help!!!!

I think this whole story deserves a nod from the local newspapers about the decency and generosity from the folks here. Truly amazing the efforts you all went through.

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Well, glad to hear Mike is OK.

Last night when I went to town I ended up at the military base and they sent out a patrol to find him. I stayed there with them until about 2:30 AM last night monitoring the radio but the last communication was that they were not able to reach Mike's coordinates from the mesa above and the shore below was inaccesible from Puerto Catalina.

So very early this AM I picked up a friend who knows the area well and we loaded up with supplies and first aid gear. It is not an easy trip out there and driving the mesa from above we could not get close. We then made the trip around and headed down to the beach at the fish camp north of Puerto Catalina and walked as far north as the tide would let us. Looking at Mikes current location we probably got within a half km of each other before we could make it no further, In fact I am quite curious how he is going to keep making it south on his current route as it is very tight and hard going for Don-Kay as far as I could see.

Right now I am at the hotel in Catavina after we had made arrangements with the local delegation to head down with a team in the morning to try and reach Mike by sea.

Looks like all is OK and we can call off the cavalry so I will head back home.

Glad to hear Mike is OK but I am concerned about his current route...

Brian
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 06:33 PM

bajaGringo---------WELL DONE!!! You went way beyond the normal, and I think would have saved the day had not you been beaten by the "other" team. There very easily could not have been "the other team". I am totally impressed with your effort, and time and money you contributed for your fellow man in need.

We won't forget this.

Barry
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 06:34 PM

Ron I'm Happy to hear you are OK. I was worried.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 06:37 PM

so do the boys at catarina know there is a crazy gringo to the north who didn't bring enough water and might need to be rescued, again?:light:

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 06:41 PM

Ron,
Kudos----Knowing how you have jumped in with real help in the past, I am not surprised at what all you did---you deserve a ton of credit and I too am glad you are OK.

I sure hope Mike finds a safe way for him and that beautiful dependent donkey to get past where you see some real potential problems ---

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 06:46 PM

Just arrived in San Ignacio and accessed bajanomad to get the good news. A huge thank you to everyone involved from me and I`m sure all of Mike`s family.

Mike is one tough customer... what you`d expect from a former Navy Vietnam vet and El Cajon policeman... and he`s been living and planning this adventure for well over a year. As I`ve come to know him and seen the thought and preparations he was making I`ve grown in respect and admiration and was happy to help out every way I could.

He still has a tough task ahead to reach that first camp, and then I think we can relax as he picks up that road down the Pacific.

I agree with Astrobaja his burro needs a lot of water. I threw in that two or three gallons a day figure to make the point that the most likely scenario was Mike needed water and plenty of it to work his way through this. I just wanted to make sure that if a panga got to him they would have that in mind. Mike loves that donkey and there`s no way he`d abandon him. But he would need water to safely go forward or back. My burro Mision could last a day or two on a gallon or so and then he would tank up like a camel when he could.

Mike was well aware of the difficulties I had between San Carlos and Santa Catarina and the nature of the terrain. He read Into a Desert Place more than once. Mike is his own man and takes full responsibility for his actions... it was his decision to attempt that stretch rather than take the long hike out to the highway and then back to Catarina. He read and researched everything he could and even drove out to several locations on that coast to assess the situation for himself.

Anyway, just delighted that Mike is back in action. God speed you, Don Kay and Solo to that first camp and then the road. I think your adventures are an inspiration. And we're all going to learn a lot from this. What you've already done is a fantastic achievement... and has probably put years on your life!

Again, gracias to all those Nomads who were there for him.

[Edited on 11-26-2010 by Graham]

KASHEYDOG
Senior Nomad

Mood: SO MANY TACOS, SO LITTLE TIME... Gotta Go, See ya there....:bounce:

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 06:48 PM

Great effort, Ron..:yes:..You're definitely someone we can count on when the chips are down. Kudos to you for your valiant effort. That was above and beyond the call of duty. We're all glad that this event has ended happily for all. Thanks for letting us know you're OK. Now we can end this thread. Next time I'm in San Quintin I'd like to get together with you for a shooter or two. ;D

Don\'t mess with the old dog...... Age and skill will always overcome youth and treachery! Brilliance only comes with age and experience..... :smug: .... :P .... :smug:
Are you getting the most out of life OR is life getting the most out of you ?? :?:

Twenty years from now you\'ll be more disappointed by the things you didn\'t do then the things you did.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
bajaGringo---------WELL DONE!!! You went way beyond the normal, and I think would have saved the day had not you been beaten by the "other" team.

Well....it wasn't a contest, but it was a valiant effort by all.
You did good....really good, Ron. I'm proud and assured to have you as a bud. When and if I get into something not fun, I can be assured you'll be there to give me a hand.
Thanks, Pal.

I also want to give due praise to David for his logistical assistance, maps...distances and all around Baja know-how that is his forte. He gave all of us a sense of exactly where we and Mike were in this drama.
Thank you DK. You did good too.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Interesting point. The mere existence of things like this SPOT device has the potential to change the character of soul-twisting personal wilderness encounters into something bordering on reality TV. :O

--Larry

Only for those who make the purchase.
Interesting, your point. Hayduke would have had one. Abbey....probably not.

[Edited on 11-21-2010 by DENNIS]
Keri
Super Nomad

Mood: muy contento

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 07:32 PM

Ron , Glad you are ok. Worried we might have to send someone out after you also. Thanks for your valiant effort.Thanks mostly for your help and concern for your fellow man. Your a hero in my book,k :bounce::spingrin::bounce:

[Edited on 11-21-2010 by Keri]

http://www.pyramidresort.com
011521-646-119-9445
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Keri
Ron , Glad you are ok. Worried we might have to send someone out after you also. Thanks for your valiant effort.Thanks mostly for your help and concern for your fellow man. Your a hero in my book,k :bounce::spingrin::bounce:

Mine as well. Thanks for saying that, Keri.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 09:27 PM

Glad you got online Ron... and Graham too... I hope we can rest easily tonight...

Just think, all of this drama unfolded and was solved in less than 24 hours from when we got the SPOT email alert.

I first got on the phone to Graham & Bonni's home to find out who the people in the SPOT message were and if they needed to be informed before I posted the alert here, and got a busy signal... It was Bonni on the phone to Shari... then she called me... So the three Nomads who were getting the SPOT alert were all communicating, nearly simultaneously!

Ron went into action and his efforts were awesome... soon the Solo Sports Resort people were in action... and even Antonio in Las Vegas helping with Itzel went into action!

Baja Nomads are about people helping people... and that is worth everything, yet to be a Nomad costs nothing!

The ultimate thanks go to Doug for keeping this web site online for so many years... we are all richer and happier for it!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 09:50 PM

Hayduke would never have a SPOT, he was way too self sufficient.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bent-rim
Hayduke would never have a SPOT, he was way too self sufficient.

Probably so. Can't understand why, in your analysis, he ever needed a Jeep with a winch, but he had those.
Just a residual from his Special Forces days, I suppose.
bent-rim
Nomad

Mood: Living la vida mota

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 10:07 PM

Being capable comes from being self sufficient. Having a SPOT requires help from others. I'm not a Hayduke, I've had to rely on friends on some arduous off/no road rides in Baja.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 10:23 PM

Have to somewhat agree with you, BR. I guess it all depends on the definition of "capable." I always thought it would entail taking advantage of anything and everything that would lead to a planned goal, but I guess machismo has a place in the mix as well.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-20-2010 at 11:01 PM

Just got home finally and thanks to everybody for their very kind words including those who called and left messages of concern/support on my phone. It was a very long 24+ hours on just a couple of hours sleep but in the end I am just glad to know that Mike and Don-Kay are OK and continuing on.

If you have never been out to that region it is hard to understand what a difficult area and situation Mike was/is in. The mesa is huge, steep above the beach below, with almost no access for miles and miles and very difficult to get around. Every road/trail/riverbed we tried ended up on a dead end or steep, impassable ledge, leading to a 20+ mile trip around to get to another point of attempt.

Giving up on reaching Mike via the upper route from the Catarina side we headed down to the Blue Point fish camp. We parked where the road ends and loaded up with some supplies, walking north along the beach for a few miles until we finally reached a point where it was impossible to continue with the rising tide. Before turning back we yelled out ahead, calling Mikes name in hopes that he might hear us but to no avail.

At that point I was really getting concerned and so we made the decision to head to Cataviņa to meet with Chava at the Delagacion who was quite helpful, immediately grabbing his radio. In 20 minutes we had a complete team to head out in two pangas at first light in the morning with water, food, a stretcher and a paramedic with an ambulance standing by at Puerto Cataviņa should Mike require medical aid. I was totally amazed at the support offered and if any of you pass through Cataviņa and see Chava, offer him a warm handshake for his support he obviously provides to us while in his territory. He was even kind enough to invite us to dinner at his restaurant in town - great guy!

We did ask at every stop around the Catarina area about Mike and Don-Kay, including the fish camp and puerto in case anybody had seen them. I am sure that in the days that follow Mike will hear a lot of stories of a couple of guys trying to find him from the south end as he continues on.

We did get a lot of weird stares when we explained that Mike was coming from San Carlos, walking with a burro along the coast below the mesa. Nobody could believe it.

I hope that the road ahead is not quite so difficult.

God speed Mike...

[Edited on 11-21-2010 by BajaGringo]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 12:02 AM

It will have been ages since Graham walked that coast (without a burro)... like over 25 years ago.

When Graham walked with a burro in 1997, he stayed along Hwy. 1 in this part of Baja... He did try to use El Camino Real from the Cataviņa area, past Mision Santa Maria and down towards Gonzaga Bay/ Coco's Corner enroute to the Calamajue mission site. Sadly, the Camino Real was too poor a trail for his donkey 'Mision' to walk... so back to Hwy. 1 and on south to San Borja mission they went.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  ..  8    10    12  ..  14

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.