Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A Baja Thought!
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 4-23-2006 at 02:32 PM
Skeet

I remember you talking about your law enforcement background at the first Pyramid Resort book signing. Really enjoyed meeting you and I never noticed anything small about you. You are a guy to ride the river with.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 4-23-2006 at 03:50 PM

Bernie,
As the late, great W.C. Fields used to say:

"Trust everybody, but cut the cards."

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2006 at 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
Bernie,
As the late, great W.C. Fields used to say:

"Trust everybody, but cut the cards."

He also said something about never drinking water.

But I don't think he had Mexico in mind. :rolleyes:

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2006 at 05:50 PM

Different sources quote him with various euphemisms of what the greater number say was " I never drink water, fish f***k in it."

His role as Whipsnade, the smalltime circus owner, was my favorite. Many great lines: "Who left the cork off my lunch?". He was definitely not PC for his time. There was a great scene with the actor (forgot the name) who later became "Rochester" to Jack Benny: Fields: "I'm looking for the head Ubangi." 'Rochester, scowling': "You wouldn't be talkin bout one o us colored boys, would you, boss?" Fields: "No, I need the head Ubangi, got a little job for him, worth five dollars." 'Rochester': " Oh, you mean the HEAD Ubangi..."

[Edited on 4-24-2006 by Oso]

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2006 at 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
There was a great scene with the actor (forgot the name) who later became "Rochester" to Jack Benny

That would be Eddie "Rochester" Anderson.

(And you misspelled flock.)

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2006 at 02:12 PM

Dave, thanks for the correction, I wouldn't want to be guilty of misquoting. BTW, Wikipedia has some interesting material on the etymology of the word, including it's modern Hebrew equivalent.

tippytoestrish
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-24-2006 at 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Times have changed, both of our cultures have changed. If you are to Judge remember " Judge not or yee will be Judged!!

Anon The Preacher
Skeet/Loreto

Actually, Daddy; the quote is a little off; its not really judge not, OR you will be judged. The premise is that everyone WILL be judged, eventually, by the one qualified to do so; however, while on earth, dealing with fellow man, we should have a good amount of grace (that we are also shown). For if we are harsh in our judgements of others, we will, in turn, reap a harsh judgement against ourselves. I guess you taught me to enjoy a good debate!:bounce:

Everyone we deal with in life deserves our best character and initial trust; however, people are people, and we all mess up now and then. So, in the words of Dorie; "just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2006 at 03:22 AM
Thanks Toes!

Now everyone knows what I have had to put up with ever.
since she Graduated!!!

I think that the best thing to do is have you teach me how t pass that test they call a GRE on our trip South, so come prepared .

She left me at 15 years old to go to Australia as an exchange Student, not for three months,but for a year!!
Came back a Young Lady at 16.

Can still remember the Ole heart pounding as she got on the Airplane to depart.

Skeet/Loreto
Anon The Preacher
Skeeter Peter
SkeetTexas

And last but Best "Daddy"

"In God I Trust"
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 4-25-2006 at 07:08 AM
Skeet

First time I found when you didn't argue when gently corrected. Comforting to see you both interacting in this fashion. (Not the greatest sentence I ever put together--but it will do.)

Did the apple fall close to the tree?

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
tippytoestrish
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
First time I found when you didn't argue when gently corrected. Comforting to see you both interacting in this fashion. (Not the greatest sentence I ever put together--but it will do.)

Did the apple fall close to the tree?

Perish the thought--but, yes, in many ways. And I hope he'll see what I've seen these past few years, that perhaps the roots of the old tree absorbed some of the fertilizer of the fruit lying on the ground underneath??? What do you say, pops? Tenemos un buen tiempo, no?

And I DON'T speak Cathtillian Thpanith, just properly enunciated Mexican Spanish, that no one else understands! And when did Buenos Dias get changed to Weno Dia? :?::?:
No wonder I can't figure out what anyone else is saying!!!
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2006 at 07:32 PM

Yes Daughter:
I can still see the look on the face of Rodrigo{A Mountain Man from near San Javier when Trish spoke to him in correct Spanish.

At that time many of my friends had only been to about the 3 rd Grade level of Education!
When Luis Portillo became President he started building Schools His moto was "The Future of Mexico is in the Children" , later he left Mexico after his term in a Cessna 421 and crossed the border into the States with the 421 full of Pesos!!

I have been around Alvaro for many years and we understand each other,but Rodigio I still do not understand!

And yes Bernie, she wants to get her Pilots Certificate someday.
The Fruit multiples!!

A Proud Father
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.