BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: What boat do you tow to Baja?
SBSRF
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 07:07 AM

Or a Tonka Toy :o
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2007 at 01:13 PM

To me this is an interesting discussion because there are many different options on how one fishes in Baja. For many people there are only two options...either I fish in my own boat or I don't fish at all. For others like myself I took a look at all the options available to me and looked at the upside and downside of each. Since I tow a toy hauler down, that eliminates towing a large boat right off the bat. What I have done is try to make my fishing experience as versatile as possible given the rig I have imposed on myself. My wife and I have kayaks tied to the top of our truck shell. We also
carry a rolled up 12' Achilles inflatable boat with a 15hp 2-stroke Evinride stored in the truck bed.
Here are my options...After parking and setting up the toy hauler:
1. I can shorefish by driving to wherever part of the coast I wish (the most limited coverage).
2. We can drive to wherever and launch the kayaks and paddle around (a little wider coverage).
3. Drive to a location, setup the inflatable, and launch from the shore of my choosing (5-10 mile coverage in either direction).
4. Hire a panga to take us out fishing to channels or nearby islands (5-20 mile coverage).
5. Hire a super cruiser (5-25 mile coverage).
6. Stay shoreside and don't fish at all.
Upside:
Everything is easy to haul down and back.
Don't have to setup kayaks or inflatable unless we want to. All are locked and stored out of the way.
Many options to pick from based on fishing conditions.
Can go virtually anyware to fish (not constrained by launching limits of towed boat).
Can stay in my own trailer and not depend on the whims of hotels, vacancies, room cleanliness, etc.
Both trailer and truck serve multiple purposes. Towed boat serves only one purpose (fishing) and if that can't be done your stuck just towing it around.
Panga / Super cruiser hire advantages - locals know areas of best fishing, most have radios, they all know where each other is while fishing, I speak spanish so a good rappor with the capt. goes a long way with them in that they will put in the extra effort to help you get fish.
I can check the fish count the day before going out with the pangas and if the fishing was bad I don't have to commit $s for the next day.
When you tow down a large boat you are virtually compelled to fish because of the effort, expense, and breakdown risk committed to get there regardless of fishing conditions.
Low expense / overhead - Can afford to lose the kayaks or inflatable, no large towed boat expence / maintenance commitment only pay as I fish with pangas / cruiser.
Downside:
Inflatable setup/teardown can involve some labor.
Some labor to get kayaks/inflatable to launch sites on remote beaches (e.g. Laguna Manuela).
SBSRF
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 08:34 AM

Inflatible camping can be great

[Edited on 9-26-2007 by SBSRF]

INFLATABLE CAMPING.jpg - 26kB
chris

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 11:17 AM

This rig set up looks ideal. Like your thought process an agree. I'm unable to store anything where I live and go infrequently enough that it's not worth outside storage (yet). I hope to get there. Panga and simple hotel fit my lifestyle so far but I hope to move to your set up....someday. Looks fantastic...
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 9-26-2007 at 11:36 AM

Great posts All. You folks are living the baja dream.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
steviecroc

Mood: Life is GOOD

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 04:41 AM

:)

Onward thru the Fog
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 06:23 AM

22 foot cc

Islandtrip136.jpg - 37kB
SBSRF
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 07:03 AM

Nice ride, gotta love the "T" top.
lancesmith

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 04:31 PM
lots of fun fishing in baja

14' almar 60hp prop engine center console tow?
bajabum
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2007 at 05:43 PM

My experience over the last 25 years has been that a 19-21 ft bayrunner, klamath,gregor are the absolute best for trailering down into Baja. They are light, launchable at most of the ramps (if thats what you want to call them!) and can get you to the prime fishing grounds from Ensenada to Loretto (thats the area I fish) and handle the water conditions semi comfortably. Next best is probably a 15 ft model of the above which can be car/truck/trailer topped, beach launced any where and get you to the fishing grounds in most areas. A little less comfy and you have to pay attention to the water/weather conditions a little colser bur still very fishable.

Work is just something I do to keep me buzy between baja trips!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.