for me using $.42 usa a mile for gas and wear and tear
water adds up to about $.01 usa a gallon
not too bad...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2010 at 11:48 AM

It's amazing how much water a pool loses with the wind, especially infinity pools like ours. We dump a pipa in about once a week. That is about 2500gal.

The pool holds 15 pipas or 37,500 gallons

The crooks could still partially fill a Pipa overnight, no one ever said they filled it to the brim. They could throw a hose or 2 in and walk away, come back 6 hours later and have several hundred gallons of water for free. It could just be a guy with 11000L rotoplas in the back of the truck making a trip or 2 a night.It could also be a neighbor with a pila that runs a hose from the house at night or even the day since you are gone.

The gardener is probably on a schedule. like water monday, wednesday, friday, sat pm/sun am...etc. It wouldn't take long to figure out. Our caretakers went to our home on a similar schedule and our house got emptied out by crooks...

[Edited on 6-13-2010 by fishabductor]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2010 at 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
for me using $.42 usa a mile for gas and wear and tear
water adds up to about $.01 usa a gallon
not too bad...

No. Not too bad at all.
koala

[*] posted on 6-14-2010 at 09:58 AM

Wow! I am surprised to see so many good advice, suggestions, and stories!

To clarify, we shut off all the water valves in the house for the toilet, shower and so on so that we won't have any water sit around to breed mosquitoes or any other bugs. But we keep outside faucets on for the gardener. One is close to the road and another is by the shed which is hidden from the road. Either way a person (or people) have to come in through the gate to use any water.

I do hear water and electricity thefts in Mexico, but it is difficult to believe that will happen in my house. I may be too naive...., but our house is small and even simpler than the local neighbors' and the family next door seems to watch out the property too. It is hard to think our place will be the target of the water theft. Then again, the last time this happened was when we were away. . .

Currently we don't have any cable/DSL at the place, so once we hook up we will try to put up a camera and we are now considering about renting a place as well. Putting a lock in the outside faucets are great idea too and we will look into it when we get there the next time.

And who knows it is possible that our gardener forgets to shut off the water once a while. . .
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2010 at 11:11 AM

Don't you have a shut-off going into the meter? Your gardner can open and close it when he needs water, I'm sure.
Teach him how to read the meter so he can monitor it.
SteveD
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2010 at 11:29 AM

Before you go out and buy a tank or some other watering system you should do two things:

1. When no water is being used in the house check the water meter to see if any water is being used. When I had jumps in our water bill this is how I found a slow leak. It was the flapper valve in a toilet but it could be anything.

2. Start recording your meter readings when you arrive, when you leave and every few days. This should give you an idea as to your "normal" useage. Also, if your gardener is there when you are this will measure how much he uses.

If this confirms a big useage only while you are away then time to try one of the other suggestions.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.