BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: MULEGE CHILI COOKOFF
PlanB

[*] posted on 3-13-2012 at 05:44 PM

word has it that Sally is gonna be on that scenic ride; might be best use for Ellen's turbo-assist chili. Try it if you wanna ride of a different sort
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 08:46 AM

whooohoooo we are officially going !!

Les is not prepared this year to participate ....does not have all his ingredients here ..... but I bet we can plan this out for next year !

Please introduce yourselves if you see us - we'll probably both be in LA BOCANA t-shirts - I may wear the official LA BOCANA bike club dark blue t-shirt. Les is the one with the incredibly bklue eyes and the really different British/Polish accent - trust me, you can't miss my guy.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

Mood: Baja Brained

[*] posted on 3-17-2012 at 09:26 PM
Be there or B square

Come on down by noon in the Square/Plaza for the best Mulege chili cookoff we've had in years.

Beer will be ultra cold and the Chili will be awesome.

Plus silent auction and verbal auction that includes scenic flights and lux lodging at the El Moro in La Paz.

Don't miss this special event that benefits the Mulege community thru the most active Rotary Club in BCS.
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Posada-BushPilot
Come on down by noon in the Square/Plaza for the best Mulege chili cookoff we've had in years.

Beer will be ultra cold and the Chili will be awesome.

Plus silent auction and verbal auction that includes scenic flights and lux lodging at the El Moro in La Paz.

Don't miss this special event that benefits the Mulege community thru the most active Rotary Club in BCS.

Any PICTURES? And, who won?

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 07:00 AM
today - sunday

Bob h - the cook off is today, drive fast, you can still make it.
Come, support the Rotary, the community, buy a T shirt and add some wind to Mulege.

LilSue

Mood: Ready 4 Sandy Toes

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 05:56 PM

Hi Willy -

How was the chili cook off? - Did the weather hold up okay for you guys? I'm stuck up here in La Salina for one more night waiting for the rain and wind to clear enough for a long and safe driving day. Plan to head down south tomorrow with a couple of stops, and hopefully be in Mulege by Weds or Thurs.

C-U Then! ~ Lil'Sue
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 06:29 PM
Richard...here are some photos for you from the Chili Cook-Off...

Hey Richard....I thought it would be best to post these photos here.....into your already running thread for the Annual Mulege Chili Cook-Off and Wind Event.

So here you go...please caption them as you see fit:

...And that's all I had time to take before a volcano erupted in my stomach. Whew...!

[Edited on 3-19-2012 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 06:29 PM

the chili cookoff was so much fun !!!!!!!!!!!!!! pics to be put up soon !!! I overate (what else is new ???) - got to meet lots of wonderful folk ... we are back in la bocana and next year we are taking some of our locals with us ... I have allready told them about the day .... none of the Mexicans have tried chili so it will be an experience for them. Joaquin (our local chef) is on board !! We need someone to give him a bed for the night so we can go the day before ....

thanks for putting on such a fun event for such good causes. Please keep us posted as to future events - count us IN.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

Come visit La Bocana

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 07:26 PM

My goodness. Was this chili cook off in Mexico? or in Canada?
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2012 at 07:46 PM

and here are some of our photos:

we met BART last night - he is the owner of Jungla Jim's

willieairstream !!! first time we met:

Roger - also a first time meet:

Cliff and Suzie who gave us the most wonderful house to stay at !!

our great friend Jerry who has supported my varied projects for years and who gave us a neat tour of places neither of us had ever seen in Mulege and who was visiting us here in La Bocana and mentioned that we should go to the chili cookoff!!

I loved JBs chili !!!

we heard that las casitas is very pretty and romantic - so we shall visit it next time in Mulege:

Come visit La Bocana

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 11:06 AM

Thanks for going back and getting yourcamera Roger. IT WAS A GREAT EVENT . Congrates to JB - First place. And Ellens Swedish meatball/weavel chili took 3rd

. Cooks and tasters all had smiles!!

Lil Sue. Take your time and enjoy the trip, see you when you get here

[Edited on 3-19-2012 by willyAirstream]

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 12:34 PM

JB got first place ????!! amazing - we only tried 7 different chilis (there were more I think) and we have to agree 100% with the judges...it was good stuff...not too hot ...not too cold ...just perfecto mundo !!

now I hope Les in fact enters next year .... his chili is really excellent.

now, when exactly is sushi night at Junglas ??????????

Come visit La Bocana

Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 06:05 PM
A SPECIAL THANKS

To all the hard working volunteers, the chili cookers and to all of you Nomads that came out to participate. A special thanks to two very special Nomands who came all the way from La Bocana.
Thanks to all of you I think this may easily have been the most successful Cookoff, in terms of money raised, in many years, if not ever.

The Rotary Club will use the money wisely on numerous projects including batteries and tires for the fire department and a number of other pressing needs of our community.

Congratulations to our winners, JB and Lynn. Although my Chili was superior to theirs, I accept the Judges decision with humility. :lol:
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 07:40 AM

Were the local citizens, i.e. Mexicans) invited, and did they participate?

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 12:58 PM

Oh yes, the locals were invited and many participated including Javier from Las Casitas and the Bomberos to name just two who entered their chili. The bake sale was done almost entirely by civic minded local women who support local scholarships and other good causes.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-20-2012 at 10:10 PM

the desserts were very delish - the women were so sweet !!! good idea to include them !!! I don't think there was any more room on the square for more people, it was packed...

There is a picture of javier from las casitas above

Thanks for the nice words above...can someone send me details on participating in the cook-off? There were prizes for chili - for salsa - for costume ...anything esle ??? such an eventful day.

[Edited on 3-21-2012 by BajaBlanca]

Come visit La Bocana

bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 3-21-2012 at 02:58 PM

Funny read!

bacquito
Posada-BushPilot
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 08:22 AM
Baja Blanco

Yes, I will post the cookoff "rules" and other details when I return to Mulege from La Paz this weekend.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 10:09 AM
No rules chilli cook-off?

When I lived in Columbia, MD there was a chilli cook-off that apparently had no rules (people there have no idea what chilli is supposed to be anyway). I had no idea that it was going on but I was preparing some venison chilli at home and needed to go to the store to get something or another. When I got there a discovered the cook-off judgeing about to start I ran home, grabed the chilli out of my kids bowls, put it in a jar, ran back to the cook-off, entered it AND WON.:lol::lol::lol:

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-22-2012 at 10:30 AM

Amazing what you see, or better yet, don't see in both sets of photos. Except for one wind-blown napkin next to the Gazebo, behind the table, there is no trash on the ground. This, for me, makes a big statement.....which I'll keep to myself.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.