Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: San Diego to Scorpion Bay
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-9-2021 at 12:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
The low road is paved from San Ignacio to about the "D" in Road on DK's map.

Which map, what D?

The paving south of San Ignacio, in 2017, ended 30 miles south of San Ignacio, almost to Km. 48 (if there was a Km. 48 post). This was 10 km/ 6 miles north of the shore of San Ignacio Lagoon.

Here is the map that shows where the pavement ended on my trip. Has it been extended??

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2021 at 12:38 PM

There was only one map posted when I commented.

“Salina (low) Road”.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2021 at 09:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

You don’t need 4wd. Any suv or truck is capable.

You are gonna get someone stranded with your bad advice on here.

I see very little evidence you actually travel to Baja, or at least have in the last 10-15 years.

Calm down JZ....:LOL:

I've driven non 4x4 vehicles in there since 1993. The locals do it all the time. 4X4 is best though.
bajajoaquin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2021 at 07:59 PM

I haven’t been going as long as some, and I had a bit of a hiatus there for a while. But I have been going to Baja for 20-odd years. Except for exploring, I had never really needed 4x4 on any of dozens of trips. I had an extra cab 4x4 truck and camper that was getting a bit small for my family and I decided the extra expense of a new 4x4 truck wasn’t with it. I wasn’t exploring with them anyway. I’d go with what I had then buy a nice 2wd double cab.

Thanksgiving 2019 I went to the seven sisters area with my wife and two young daughters. It was awesome. Then it rained. A lot. We stayed an extra day to let the roads dry out a bit before driving home. For that first day, we couldn’t walk around our camp for the mud, much less drive out. There were still long mud pits along the way. It was the first time I have ever really needed 4x4 and it was on a well-traveled road.

People say you don’t need 4x4 because the locals get by. But if they get stuck, they wait. If you get stuck you miss the end of your vacation days or other obligations in the US. Don’t have those? Great. Go in 2wd. You’ll be fine. Have to be back on time? Take a 4x4.

After that trip, my wife said I could get any vehicle I wanted, as long as it was four wheel drive.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2021 at 09:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajajoaquin  
I haven’t been going as long as some, and I had a bit of a hiatus there for a while. But I have been going to Baja for 20-odd years. Except for exploring, I had never really needed 4x4 on any of dozens of trips. I had an extra cab 4x4 truck and camper that was getting a bit small for my family and I decided the extra expense of a new 4x4 truck wasn’t with it. I wasn’t exploring with them anyway. I’d go with what I had then buy a nice 2wd double cab.

Thanksgiving 2019 I went to the seven sisters area with my wife and two young daughters. It was awesome. Then it rained. A lot. We stayed an extra day to let the roads dry out a bit before driving home. For that first day, we couldn’t walk around our camp for the mud, much less drive out. There were still long mud pits along the way. It was the first time I have ever really needed 4x4 and it was on a well-traveled road.

People say you don’t need 4x4 because the locals get by. But if they get stuck, they wait. If you get stuck you miss the end of your vacation days or other obligations in the US. Don’t have those? Great. Go in 2wd. You’ll be fine. Have to be back on time? Take a 4x4.

After that trip, my wife said I could get any vehicle I wanted, as long as it was four wheel drive.

Good story. I see your perspective.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 10-15-2021 at 07:30 AM

I am off road a lot...almost daily! Four wheel drive is not just to keep from getting stuck, it helps to prevent damage to the road, or off road terrain you are driving on.

Bouncing and spinning tires to get up a grade is a terrible thing to do to a back road that only gets maintained after big storms!

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2021 at 07:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
I am off road a lot...almost daily! Four wheel drive is not just to keep from getting stuck, it helps to prevent damage to the road, or off road terrain you are driving on.

Bouncing and spinning tires to get up a grade is a terrible thing to do to a back road that only gets maintained after big storms!

Exactly!!! Damaging roads from needless tire spinning is totally preventable by using four-wheel-drive (or all-wheel-drive).

'Washboarding' (corrugation) of graded roads is another type of damage caused by bad shock absorbers, I read somewhere.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2021 at 07:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Skipjack Joe  
There was only one map posted when I commented.

“Salina (low) Road”.

I just wondered where the "D in the road" was you mentioned, on the map? The pavement from San Ignacio ends well north of this map, so, I added the second map that shows where the paving terminated (north of the lagoon).

CaboHenry
Junior Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 10-15-2021 at 06:02 PM

Hey David. I think Skipjack is referring to the 'D' in the word 'road' at the upper left corner of the map you posted here back on 10/09 @ 7:49am. Sounds like the pavement has extended much further than you previously noted. Can't believe it's paved that far out of S.I. now. Sure hope that paving slows down. Can only imagine one day it will be the preferred route to places south of Insurgentes. Hopefully not soon.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2021 at 09:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by CaboHenry  
Hey David. I think Skipjack is referring to the 'D' in the word 'road' at the upper left corner of the map you posted here back on 10/09 @ 7:49am. Sounds like the pavement has extended much further than you previously noted. Can't believe it's paved that far out of S.I. now. Sure hope that paving slows down. Can only imagine one day it will be the preferred route to places south of Insurgentes. Hopefully not soon.

Skipjack is likely confused. If they paved past the lagoon whale camps, someone would report that. It will also go via the high road.

BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 09:55 AM
"high" road

I just drove a 2wd 4runner down for someone and a swell popped up on the radar so I took the "high" road from San Ignacio. It had some rough patches climbing into the ranches and across a few washes but was decent enough. Waves were packed...go figure.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 10:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BFS  
I just drove a 2wd 4runner down for someone and a swell popped up on the radar so I took the "high" road from San Ignacio. It had some rough patches climbing into the ranches and across a few washes but was decent enough. Waves were packed...go figure.

Where did the pavement going south of San Ignacio end?
Before the whale watching camps or south of the lagoon, past the village of La Laguna (Ejido Luis Echeverria)?
Thank you!

BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-17-2021 at 12:58 PM

hi, I took a sharp left off of the pavement to head due south. The pavement continued on straight (I think this would be west) so not sure where it ended.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.