BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: Ultra low sulphur diesel????
Johnson

[*] posted on 7-28-2007 at 05:05 PM

Baja Cactus....It is important for all of us that have new 2007/2008 ,ford, chev and dodge diesel engines. They will only burn ULTRA LOW SULFUR DIESEL FUEL, they will not burn the LOW SULFUR DIESEL FUEL that you have mentioned. LOW SULFUR DIESEL FUELS could be used in the US and Canada prior 10/06. Please let all of know if the new ULTRA LOW SULFUR DIESEL FUEL is available on the Baja. If not there will be many of us that have bought new 2007 and 2008 diesels that wont be able to come back to the Baja this winter. The LOW SULFUR DIESEL FUEL will not burn in the new diesel engines. There are many changes. Thanks.Ben Johnson..benalyn@juno.com
Johnson

[*] posted on 7-28-2007 at 05:08 PM
ULSD

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajalover
This is a good discussion. Diesel fans should check out = www.thedieselstop.com and look in the forum section. ULSD has 15ppm vs old 500ppm. The new diesels being produced have "catalitic converters" in the exhaust system and higher than 15 ppm fuels will "kill" the converters. "Costly adventure". The pre 2007 diesels will have to make certain additives are used "stanadyne, etc" to make sure all the parts IE: pumps, seals, orings and the like keep their lubricity. Otherwise you may be looking a problems sooner than you think. I thought Baja also introduced the ULSD fuel earlier this year - give or take, yet some stations in the USA still offer both fuel types. IE: El Paso, Tx - Flying J's have both 500 and 15 ppms at 2 different stations.
Well ULSD or not - BAJA IS GETTING CLOSER AND CLOSER. Just need daughter to get better and I'm back at the beach, kayaking, bbqing, margaritas, pacificos, and more. Aaaahhhhhhh what a life.
Johnson

[*] posted on 7-28-2007 at 05:12 PM

Thanks.I have researched the ULSD fuel. The only reason why some stations still have both fuels is because they havent emptied all their diesel tanks. When they do this they are required to sell only ULSD fuel. We need to know if they are selling this fuel in Mexico yet as we have just purchased a new 2008 ford diesel. If they dont sell it on the Baja we wont be going back until they do. Thanks for your info and help. Ben Johnson email benalyn@juno.com
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-28-2007 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
No guessing involved - ULSD is not available in Mexico.

I certainly hope that warranties will be honored, because you WILL have problems using "standard" diesel.

:lol:

So, KOB, what's funny? Did I miss the part where Antonio said he has (or gave a schedule for having) ULSD? Or which stations have it? Or when they'll have it? Are you ready to buy and drive a ULSD vehicle (Toyota is rumored to have one soon, will you LEASE one of those?) All of a sudden you believe press releases from Pemex?

Keep up the "I never attack people" Mantra - apparently it's working for you and your lemmings believe it.

[Edited on 7-29-2007 by Roberto]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 7-29-2007 at 08:11 AM

still running the 2007 Dodge Diesel on Pemex Diesel...

no problems;D

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 03:11 PM
Low Sulfur Diesel...

There has been a lot of talk and many opinions about the low sulfur diesel... the problem relies in that some of the people that talk about it do not have all the facts nor the proper information, therefore create a lot of confusion.

The low sulfur diesel issue is an international effort to protect the environment, it is not unique to the States or Mexico, in fact, Europe and Asia have been working on this for a few years now... we are just catching up.

The idea is to get to a point where all on-road diesel around the globe has 15ppm of sulfur or less... regardless of how you call it, Low Sulfur, Ultra Low Sulfur, Less Sulfur, Almost no Sulfur or whatever.

In some places, they are making their way to the 15ppm sulfur content in steps... therefore they have diesel, low sulfur diesel (with 500ppm) and eventually Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel.

Either way, the idea is to get to the 15ppm sulfur content on diesel.

In the States you have several types of diesel, depending on the use, and the sulfur content on them varies... in Mexico we only have two types: Regular diesel and Marine diesel.

The one you put in your car is the same used for off-road, construction and any other equipment that runs on diesel... no difference.

In Mexico, low sulfur diesel (or ultra low sulfur diesel), which has content of 15ppm (or less) of sulfur, has been slowly introduced nationwide since last year (October 2006).

In Baja California Norte, all gas stations began receiving it (and therefore selling it) since January 2007. In Baja California Sur it has not been introduced yet... they are schedule to have it in the later part of this year.

Pemex will not order nor authorize any signs about low sulfur diesel until they make sure every Gas Station in Mexico has this type of diesel... this is the reason for the mobile lab units being sent to every gas station in Mexico. Maybe they when they finally order the change of signs the name will be change to Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel...who knows.

Now... this information comes not only from "Pemex Memos" or Government Press releases... we at BajaCactus have received Pemex's lab technicians making low sulfur tests to our shipments of diesel... Also, I took the liberty of personally calling the Commercial Director at the Ensenada Pemex Distribution Center to find out what information they had. Everything points to the same: low sulfur diesel has been slowly being introduced throughout Mexico for almost a year now.

Now... whether anyone choose to believe it or not... well, that is another story... the facts will remain the same.

Enjoy Baja my friends...

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is so much more than a dream..."

[Edited on 7-31-2007 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 03:16 PM

Antonio ---

It's not a "personal" issue. It's more like "If I spend 50K on a brand-new ULSD ONLY vehicle, can I safely take it to Baja?". And, regardless of what direction Pemex is going, the answer, at this point is no. Do you disagree?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 03:19 PM

Roberto that's 56K:biggrin:

and it burns OK...

what's the WORST...a CAT converter???

smog warranty is for 5 YEARS...no way out of that for the dealer

our website is:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 03:29 PM

Bob, sorry, but I would NOT drive that truck on regular diesel. What do you think will happen if you have problems and you take it to the dealer?
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 04:14 PM

"they" WILL repair it...I checked...

"they" get paid by the manufacturer

our website is:
Roasty
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 04:32 PM
Russian Roulette

So an owner of a Pemex gas station, a trusted Nomad, is saying that the Diesel being distributed in BCN is compliant.
Whats the problem ?

And thats $64K by the way !
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 04:34 PM

$250k for a "diesel pusher"

our website is:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-30-2007 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roasty
So an owner of a Pemex gas station, a trusted Nomad, is saying that the Diesel being distributed in BCN is compliant.
Whats the problem ?

And thats $64K by the way !

If that's what he said - there is no problem? What did I miss? The only thing I saw was that stations started receiving it, and there will be no signs stating what you are getting. Forgive me for being skeptical about this, but given the costs involved, I like to KNOW what I'm getting.

Antonio, if youo would - what are the results of those sulfur tests that were done on the fuel in your tanks?

Roasty, you drive a ULSD vehicle? Are you putting your money where your mouth is?

Let me just say this - it's not about (me) being right or wrong. I am wrong multiple times a day 24/7/365 - I don't give a chit. But if I'm driving a 50K (plus) vehicle, I am not going to take chances by putting the wrong fuel in it. Stations have been receiving it, testing has been done, you will not find signs stating what you are getting, BCS doesn't have any - honestly, does this sound like a doable situation. If you're not the one putting the bucks on the line, sure.

[Edited on 7-31-2007 by Roberto]
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 09:07 AM

I think some are under the misconception that if higher sulphur diesel is run in a 2007 or later vehicle and the cat converter starts to go south that you will only do damage to the cat converter. UH-UH ! It can clog to the point where damage can be done to other components and systems of the engine.

Now, when a stateside dealer finds out that you have been running something other than ULSD in your truck (likely very obvious from observing the tailpipe or inspecting the cat), do you think they will honor the warranty?

That is, apparently and literally, the 64,000 dollar question.............

[Edited on 7-31-2007 by Hook]

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 10:54 AM

true...:lol:

our website is:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I think some are under the misconception that if higher sulphur diesel is run in a 2007 or later vehicle and the cat converter starts to go south that you will only do damage to the cat converter. UH-UH ! It can clog to the point where damage can be done to other components and systems of the engine.

Now, when a stateside dealer finds out that you have been running something other than ULSD in your truck (likely very obvious from observing the tailpipe or inspecting the cat), do you think they will honor the warranty?

That is, apparently and literally, the 64,000 dollar question.............

[Edited on 7-31-2007 by Hook]

My understanding is that the regen cycle cannot work due to the much larger sulfur content in the fuel. I would imagine that, eventually, you could have a truck that runs almost constantly on regen. I don't know what the consequences could be, but my experience has not been good with warranties when not following manufacturer specifications.
davidre

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 11:26 AM

Baja Cactus is right on and I for one, wish to PLEAD WITH HIM to go ahead and find out the OFFICIAL Petroleos Mexicanos data with regard to sulfur PPM. The "old" Pemex diesel fuel was quite yellow, rife with sulfur. Then the company introduced DIESEL SIN and the color changed to something very similar to what we had in the states in the mid-nineties.

In the mid 1970's there were gringos who swore up and down that Mexico would NEVER have lead-free gasoline. They subsequently changed that to "Enough Unleaded Gasoline", finally it was "A good quality unleaded gasoline".

They were proved wrong on all counts. I wouldn't want to be one who now shouts that ultra low sulfur diesel will never appear in Mexico.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 12:28 PM

"I wouldn't want to be one who now shouts that ultra low sulfur diesel will never appear in Mexico."

So, who did that in this thread ??????

I think many of us are just saying that since the introduction of ULSD is spotty in Mexico (even by Antonio's post, as I read it) that it isn't worth the risk to an expensive truck right now.

Manana, probably.........

Roasty
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 02:30 PM
Diesel Depression

So it looks like I will have to fill up the new 2008 F-250, and also, 3 each 15 gal containers, ($100 ea at Pep Boys) at Baja Cactus, in order to ensure ULSD for the round trip to BOLA.
Where do you get those big square plastic containers with the steel mesh around them ? There always seems to be somebody filling one up on the back of a truck in front of me when I try to buy diesel. Might have to keep an emergency supply at the Casa.
What a pain.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2007 at 04:57 PM

The farmers who have tractors have to get their diesel at the same pump you do.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
 Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.