Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Vanishing Baja, literally
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 07:15 AM

David K sorry I am late with your exhibits for your presentation above but traffic was the pits today!

P.S. Don't pay attention to what the rest of them say...Everyone here is an expert.

[Edited on 6-26-2008 by ELINVESTI8]

oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
What do you plan to do about volcanos... since just 1 volcanic eruption produces more greenhouse emissions than all of man's doings?

Also, there is a growing supply of hyrocarbon fuel... we just keep finding more of the stuff waiting to be used!

Could you please provide links for the two statements above. I would like to research this further.
oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 07:46 AM

Quote:
As for sea levels rising... forget the sand spit... and use the homes or restaurant at Alfonsina's as a mark... some there since 1961... still far above sea level... Shell Island would never be connected to Baja again... yet I still drive onto it at low tide, at the same place... 30 years since I first did.

David K, we are talking about inches over the last 30 years, not feet. You don't seem to read what is posted. The shoreline is a dynamic ecosystem. Your personal observations are meaningless from a scientific standpoint. Get a grip man! But IF the ocean rises a foot or two over the next 100 years, it could prove devasting to places like the Mississippi River Delta and Florida and perhaps a number of places in Baja. Man can adapt to those changes if they begin to formulate contingency plans now.
jls
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 10:31 AM

A book to discuss? George Monbiot's ---Heat: How to Keep the Earth from Burning.
He covers it all. Way beyond Gore. Both theoretical and practical.
:!: :P
jls
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 10:32 AM

sorry the tongue smilie was an error. Please ignore.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 10:40 AM

I think it was Al Gore who said: "The earth is like a big water balloon filled with oil so, it's more like an oil balloon. When the oil supply is depleted, the earth will flop around in space like an old empty ****** bag."
Yep....Al said that and, he meant it. [ please don't ask for references ]

[Edited on 6-26-2008 by DENNIS]
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:
What do you plan to do about volcanos... since just 1 volcanic eruption produces more greenhouse emissions than all of man's doings?

Also, there is a growing supply of hyrocarbon fuel... we just keep finding more of the stuff waiting to be used!

Could you please provide links for the two statements above. I would like to research this further.

The point is that we are putting gases into the atmosphere in addition to what is naturally occurring (whether or not you buy into the global warming idea).

A growing supply of hydrocarbon fuel...um, have you seen the price lately? Why aren't we extracting it? Why are there proposals to resurrect the nuclear power plant industry?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:

The point is that we are putting gases into the atmosphere in addition to what is naturally occurring (whether or not you buy into the global warming idea).

A growing supply of hydrocarbon fuel...um, have you seen the price lately? Why aren't we extracting it? Why are there proposals to resurrect the nuclear power plant industry?

"Why aren't we extracting it?":

Ask there Democratic party why there is a halt to drilling in US territory... We have more oil reserves than any other country, from the latest I heard... They seem to want us to be dependent on other countries when there is no need to be.

We need the oil now while we continue advancements to new technology, hybrids, etc.

There is also a lot of products from petroleum that aren't fuel we still need... plastics, PVC and poly pipe (my business), etc.

[Edited on 6-27-2008 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 07:14 PM

David,

Even if we started the final destruction of our coastal waters today .... to extract more oil for your burners .... you wouldn't see any of it for fifteen to twenty years.

Not near fast enough for your next run to La Baja :lol:

Think Globally ... act Locally

CaboRon

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
David,

Even if we started the final destruction of our coastal waters today .... to extract more oil for your burners .... you wouldn't see any of it for fifteen to twenty years.

Not near fast enough for your next run to La Baja :lol:

Think Globally ... act Locally

CaboRon

I am not in the petro busines... but I think the turn around time is a bit sooner than that...

Burners? Like to cook on... yes, I like some meals hot... sushi is not an every day food for me.:lol:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 07:18 PM

Some may think the following is total... but according to the Mayan Calendar December 21, 2012 will be the end of the world as we know and I don’t think global warming will matter after that anyway. Do you? So let's all stop...ing on each other and start making peace with each other while we still have a chance.

Quick add the so they don't think you are too crazy.

NOTE: I did not start this thread.:lol:

[Edited on 6-27-2008 by ELINVESTI8]

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 07:24 PM

OK All You Global Warming Naysayers- Better roll up the pantslegs! The Mayan calendar ends on 2012 (wish I knew the exact day :lol:) seems about right...

Exclusive: No ice at the North Pole...Polar scientists reveal dramatic new evidence of climate change

By Steve Connor, Science Editor
Friday, 27 June 2008

It seems unthinkable, but for the first time in human history, ice is on course to disappear entirely from the North Pole this year.

The disappearance of the Arctic sea ice, making it possible to reach the Pole sailing in a boat through open water, would be one of the most dramatic – and worrying – examples of the impact of global warming on the planet. Scientists say the ice at 90 degrees north may well have melted away by the summer.

"From the viewpoint of science, the North Pole is just another point on the globe, but symbolically it is hugely important. There is supposed to be ice at the North Pole, not open water," said Mark Serreze of the US National Snow and Ice Data Centre in Colorado.

If it happens, it raises the prospect of the Arctic nations being able to exploit the valuable oil and mineral deposits below these a bed which have until now been impossible to extract because of the thick sea ice above.

Seasoned polar scientists believe the chances of a totally icefreeNorth Pole this summer are greater than 50:50 because the normally thick ice formed over many years at the Pole has been blown away and replaced by hugeswathes of thinner ice formed over a single year.

This one-year ice is highly vulnerable to melting during thesummer months and satellite data coming in over recent weeksshows that the rate of melting is faster than last year, when therewas an all-time record loss of summer sea ice at the Arctic.

"The issue is that, for the first time that I am aware of, the NorthPole is covered with extensive first-year ice – ice that formed last autumn and winter. I'd say it's even-odds whether the North Pole melts out," said Dr Serreze.

Each summer the sea ice melts before reforming again during the long Arctic winter but the loss of sea ice last year was so extensive that much of the Arctic Ocean became open water, with the water-ice boundary coming just 700 miles away from the North Pole.

This meant that about 70 per cent of the sea ice present this spring was single-year ice formed over last winter. Scientists predict that at least 70 per cent of this single-year ice – and perhaps all of it – will melt completely this summer, Dr Serreze said.

"Indeed, for the Arctic as a whole, the melt season startedwith even more thin ice than in 2007, hence concerns that we may even beat last year's sea-ice minimum. We'll see what happens, a great deal depends on the weather patterns in July and August," he said.

Ron Lindsay, a polar scientist at the University of Washington in Seattle, agreed that much now depends onwhat happens to the Arctic weather in terms of wind patterns and hours of sunshine. "There's a good chance that it will all melt awayat the North Pole, it's certainly feasible, but it's not guaranteed," Dr Lindsay said.

Thepolar regions are experiencing the most dramatic increasein average temperatures due to global warming and scientists fear that as more sea iceis lost, the darker, open ocean will absorb more heat and raise local temperatures even further. Professor Peter Wadhams of Cambridge University, who was one of the first civilian scientists to sail underneath the Arctic sea ice in a Royal Navy submarine,said that the conditions are ripe for an unprecedented melting of the ice at the North Pole.

"Last year we saw huge areas of the ocean open up, which hasnever been experienced before. People are expecting this to continuethis year and it is likely to extend over the North Pole. It isquite likely that the North Pole will be exposed this summer – it's not happened before," ProfessorWadhamssaid.

There are other indications that the Arctic sea ice is showingsigns of breaking up. Scientists at the Nasa Goddard Space Flight Centre said that the North Water 'polynya' – an expanse of open water surrounded on all sides by ice – that normally forms near Alaska and Banks Island off the Canadian coast, is muchlarger than normal. Polynyas absorb heat from the sun and eat away at the edge of the sea ice.

Inuit natives living near Baffin Bay between Canada and Greenland are also reporting thatthe sea ice there is starting to break up much earlier than normal and that they have seen wide cracks appearing in the ice where it normally remains stable. Satellite measurements collected over nearly 30 years show a significant decline in the extent of the Arctic sea ice, which has become more rapid in recent years.

[Edited on 6-27-2008 by Woooosh]

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 07:27 PM

Did you read this part of that article?: "If it happens..."

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Did you read this part of that article?: "If it happens..."

Yes, it's a "shock story". But whether 70% or 100% is completely gone it's still problematic. When I was a kid I remembr the north pole as the most forbidding place on earth. It was a huge feat to eben get there. Now you can sail to it.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
We have more oil reserves than any other country, from the latest I heard...

Who did you hear that from? Are you talking about oil reserves or oil deposits? I keep asking you for references and you do not respond. Until you give some references, you have no credibility. It is nothing more than apriori nonsense.

The US may in fact have more oil reserves (that means oil in storage tanks) than any other country. I don't know. But the reason the US maintains any oil reserves is because we use way more oil on a daily basis than what we produce as a nation. We have to import oil to meet our daily needs. So we keep emergency reserves to have a supply of short term oil if our supply, either internal or external, is interrupted.

Apparently, the US may have very little in the way of untapped oil deposits. Nobody can say for sure. And we have no way of knowing how much undiscovered oil deposits are left in the world today. And what there is in the way of known deposits in the US territory is difficult and expensive to extract, of lower quality requiring more sophisticated and expensive refining, and with a looooong period of start-up to full production.

So, my understanding is that the US maintains a level of reserves is to meet immediate emergencies, for example military use or a catastrophe. If you want to tap into current reserves, because you think $5 a gallon gasoline constitutes an "immediate emergency", then let your favorite Congressman know. But be aware that you make yourself a potential hostage to any military threat or catastrophe in the future.

David you are all over the board on this one - Al Gore, global warming, sea level, gasoline reserves. What next, the price of tea in China? Having trouble focusing?
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
Some may think the following is total... but according to the Mayan Calendar December 21, 2012 will be the end of the world as we know and I don’t think global warming will matter after that anyway. Do you? So let's all stop...ing on each other and start making peace with each other while we still have a chance.

Quick add the so they don't think you are too crazy.

NOTE: I did not start this thread.:lol:

Hyjack;
Love the cartoon icons EL. Care to share the source?

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 08:58 PM

Gadget take any I put out there and use them if you want to. You also can get them on the internet too. All of them are free. download them to imageshack before using them in the forum.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2008 at 09:13 PM
Now do you believe me?

global_warming.jpg - 48kB
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 6-27-2008 at 04:54 AM

Skipjack just posted the definitive proof...

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2008 at 06:39 AM
Does someone know Mel Brooks? Maybe he will loan us "Mega-Maid" to clean up the global warming problem.

Quick David add theso they do not think you are too looney toons!

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.