Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: On demand water heater
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 11:00 AM
A Distinction

It seems that we're discussing two different modes of On-Demand water heating.

For those of us who didn't (and don't) have commercial electricity, the on-demand units we used were gas-fired with the noted problems.

On the other hand, IF you have commercial electricity, the shower-head units might work fine. I've talked to many who used them in other countries. The unsettling "wiring" aspect was also mentioned.

BUT, if you have steady electricity, the small tank electric water heaters (as small as Six Gallons) are fairly cheap and dependable. At one time, I was using one with the washing machine since I had to run a genset anyway. Finally, just started washing clothes in cold water.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 11:09 AM
RV water heater

IMHO is the real answer, but people who like wasting 40 gallons of water to take a shower need not read any more.
6 gallon tank will produce a good shower in 20 minutes in Baja Sur. upfront cost is high, but is worth it.
I (one person) only used 30 kilos propane in a 8 month period for showers and cooking (eat out 50%)
when I want to shower, I push a button (could be on all the time)and in 20 minutes I step in the shower. My shower has a hand wand with a push on and off for water as needed.
When I finish showering, I push the button off and do my dishes with the rest of the hot water. Easy to see it is not for everyone...but works great in Baja.
works cheaper with low pressure...:biggrin:
http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/parts/heaters-rv-water-heater-p...

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 11:35 AM

For limited use in your mobile, I would just get the cheapest small GE electric heater they have at Home Depot. Either turn it on and off as needed or add a timer so it heats up before you do.

In our older pick-up camper, the heater died and instead of spending $450 on a new 6 gallon heater, we bought one of these http://www.productsthatsave.com/ptsl5.html
and plumbed it into the camper. We can also disconnect it and take it anywhere. In the camper it was plumbed into the gas supply but they will run on the little green tanks or larger. They run fine on whatever water pressure you have.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 11:42 AM

Diver, I didn't see it mentioned on that link... but what is the pressure required (PSI) to work? Otherwise, cool unit... or hot!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Dave
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 2-18-2009 at 11:45 AM
Listen to this man

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
RV water heater...IMHO is the real answer

He knows what he's talking about.

I replaced the 6 gl water heater in my 5th wheel last year. Cost was 460 dollars. In retrospect, I really didn't need the elec/gas combo so I overspent. Should have just got the gas. A 30k propane tank lasts me about 45 days for hot water and the fridge.

dianaji
Senior Nomad

Mood: hungry for knowledge, simplicity, hugs and fish tacos!

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
For limited use in your mobile, I would just get the cheapest small GE electric heater they have at Home Depot. Either turn it on and off as needed or add a timer so it heats up before you do.

In our older pick-up camper, the heater died and instead of spending $450 on a new 6 gallon heater, we bought one of these http://www.productsthatsave.com/ptsl5.html
and plumbed it into the camper. We can also disconnect it and take it anywhere. In the camper it was plumbed into the gas supply but they will run on the little green tanks or larger. They run fine on whatever water pressure you have.

wow! that sounds great! i will check prices at camping world and compare, so there won't be shipping charges, and perhaps just as cheap that way. i can see i have a lot of homework.

dianaji
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

i called camping world...2 minutes away from where i live and they have the same one, i believe for $134.95...guess it's not worth having shipped. looks like this may be what i want right now.

dianaji
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 12:37 PM

this is the product i believe is mentioned:

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/eccotemp-portable-...

dianaji
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 12:48 PM

just called home depot and they have 2.5 gal electric point of use for $208

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Diver, I didn't see it mentioned on that link... but what is the pressure required (PSI) to work? Otherwise, cool unit... or hot!

I've run it from a 5 gallon jug hoisted about 3+ feet above in a tree but it works better above 5 feet; around 10+ psi ?
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

Mood: no worry, no hurry....it's all good!

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 06:38 PM

Diana, I hate to muddy the hot water further but....

your last post said "point-of-use" electric 2.5 gallon. These are designed to be installed under a kitchen sink or similar. I wouldn't suggest it for the whole place.

And to really make things murky, you need to consider the electrical usage of the unit you are considering. Is it 120v or 240v? What was the rating of the heater that was in there before? 120v or 240v?

Mobile homes are usually wired very conservatively for their power capacity. I just did a quick google at Lowes and saw an OD electric point of use that was 120v and required 29 AMPS. The same heater in 240v would only require 15 AMPS.

If your previous H2O tank was 240v, it was probably wired to a 25 or 30 amp (2-pole) breaker. Who knows if your wiring can handle a 120v 29 amp load?

Since you are only down for a couple days at a time, I would strongly suggest you replace the existing heater with the cheapest similar model you can find or go with the little propane one.

Or you can hire an electrician to come check out the system in your mobile and give you a proper recommendation. I bet with a little negotiations as to the shop rate or compensation, I could find a QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN willing to come down for a consult and even install the replacement heater for you...
...:light::light::biggrin::biggrin:
BajaNuts
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 06:42 PM

PS- Lowes had a small standard electric tank for $238, (edit- it's a 30 gal tank---http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=89263-135-E2F30HS045V&lpage=none)

you might also look at "low-boy" tanks, I bought a 30gal lowboy a couple years ago at Lowes for $189. It's used occassionaly in an outbuilding. I keep it off and it only takes 30 minutes to heat up. That's about the same as the other little RV ones posted earlier.

[Edited on 2-19-2009 by BajaNuts]
dianaji
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNuts

your last post said "point-of-use" electric 2.5 gallon. These are designed to be installed under a kitchen sink or similar. I wouldn't suggest it for the whole place.

And to really make things murky, you need to consider the electrical usage of the unit you are considering. Is it 120v or 240v? What was the rating of the heater that was in there before? 120v or 240v?

Mobile homes are usually wired very conservatively for their power capacity. I just did a quick google at Lowes and saw an OD electric point of use that was 120v and required 29 AMPS. The same heater in 240v would only require 15 AMPS.

If your previous H2O tank was 240v, it was probably wired to a 25 or 30 amp (2-pole) breaker. Who knows if your wiring can handle a 120v 29 amp load?

Since you are only down for a couple days at a time, I would strongly suggest you replace the existing heater with the cheapest similar model you can find or go with the little propane one.

Or you can hire an electrician to come check out the system in your mobile and give you a proper recommendation. I bet with a little negotiations as to the shop rate or compensation, I could find a QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN willing to come down for a consult and even install the replacement heater for you...

dianaji
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 06:49 PM

Quote:

No, u are just trying to help... i was just seeing what was out there... and thus far, i am thinking the small propane one. who knows, i may never sell my home here in the states and will just continue to visit as i have been doing...*sigh* i'm ready to GIVE away my mobile home here in the states. it's not easy trying to live in 2 places.

dianaji
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 06:53 PM

Quote:
PS- Lowes had a small standard electric tank for $238, (edit- it's a 30 gal tank---http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=89263-135-E2F30HS045V&lpage=none)

you might also look at "low-boy" tanks, I bought a 30gal lowboy a couple years ago at Lowes for $189. It's used occassionaly in an outbuilding. I keep it off and it only takes 30 minutes to heat up. That's about the same as the other little RV ones posted earlier.

now there's another idea....the low boy. i don't mind waiting 30 minutes. is it electric? what would be the least expensive...the lowboy or the small tankless OD one.? perhaps i'll have to get an electrician to help me out with the choice. actually, until i decide, i can just heat up some water on my stove!

BajaNuts
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 06:54 PM

Quote:
[ it's not easy trying to live in 2 places.

and it sound's like you only want to be in one place....sigh....

Yes the low-boys are electric, they are just shorter and a little rounder, originally designed to fit under counters and stairs, but for small demand situations, they work great for a small house. The 30-gal electrics from Lowes will do the same thing and heat up just as fast if your tank closet was designed for a small upright tank. You can always upgrade to a GOOD propane whole house heater down the road when you are there full time. For now it sounds like you are looking for the least expensive, yet economical solution. Turning it off when you are not there is the simplest solution. Even with the propane camping tank, you will need to consider the venting issue if you intend to put it inside.

good luck, feel free to u2u me if you have other specific questions.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dianaji

Did you see this: Outdoor use only ???

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dianaji
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by dianaji

Did you see this: Outdoor use only ???

does this mean i cannot have hot water inside? jeez!!!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2009 at 08:46 PM

It means the only safe shower is outside... how friendly are your neighbors?

dianaji
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2009 at 04:12 AM
Eccotemp tankless water heater

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
I will get the booster pump info and upload it when i get back to Rosarito, As I recall they work on demand and do a good job of keeping constant pressure in even the lowest pressure situations...

speaking about eccotemp, ebay offers it for $130 free shipping (of course not to mexico). so, still thinking of getting one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EccoTemp-L5-LPG-Portable-Gas-Tankless-HO...

bg, did u get the booster pump info?

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.