Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: The thread formerly known as "Stolen Boat Motor, La Ribera"
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 06:05 PM
Pompano

Hola,that looks like a tiller unit..is it and why did you go that route over a helm ??? I see a small rod coming out of the tilt tube and cant figure out what you got there ????? have you run her WOT and changed the prop for the best running conditions ??? not more speed ,but the right pitch ?? more pic of your set up would be cool.......K&T
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 06:29 PM

"World of mouth"...yep, that about says it all.:lol: Sorry about what happened to your effort to get your motor back Scott.

[Edited on 3-15-2015 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 06:42 PM

Scott, I've had a boat and motor stolen, too, and feel your pain. I offered a large reward and recovered mine..with the help of amigos and an airplane search. Hope you have the same success.

captkw, I use tillers a lot in my fishing boats because of the type of fishing I do, which is staying on top of and following structure. This is much easier to do with a tiller and also by backtrolling in certain situations. You get to pinpoint your lures or bait. I have a hydraulic power assist for the steering because I am getting older and Co-pilot demanded it, ( although it is very easy to steer with the power tilt and trim.) Also a tiller situation opens the boat up a lot more by eliminating a center console...which I consider a nuisance and waste of space..I like the mobility it provides. Yes, have run her WOT and have a matched SS prop for best economy and efficiency. I generally run about 75%. I have more electronics than a Russian spy ship. ;)This is a serious fishing boat and not to be confused with a pleasure boat or runabout.

Here's a collage of the boat...a newer 21' Yarcraft Storm BT (BT means BackToller) She's very dry and cuts chop extremely well with little if any spray coming aboard. It's called The Dry One for good reason. A little spendy, but holds its value very well.

The 115 Etec has been very nice for me, which is good cuz I'm not a professional outboard mechanic like you. I do maintain all my engines well, though...that's why they last. Like my Dodge Cummins 4X4 with half a million miles and going strong.

I like it for waters from northern Canada to Baja Sur.

This should really be a different thread about engines and boats, rather than hijack the theft theme anymore.

[Edited on 3-15-2015 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 07:00 PM

Psh, motors aside, get a boat which are befitting of bass as a game fish, and then we'll talk. :cool:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2015 at 07:02 PM

Luv It!

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 02:02 AM
pompano

nice rig Roger....I see fish finders fore/aft/port/stb... the ETEC 150hp I hung Thursday has a 135 amp alternater..whats on that 115hp..damn nice looking package ya got there and I'm a critic..."Russian sub" LOL ! I also see "fish on" rod holders all over...they work great for smaller game,,but not trolling in Baja... btw I do Highly recommend flushing with "salt away" good snake oil..keeps the therms and prv/poppet valves clean..oops almost forgot..ECM cooling port too (pescador)....Tight lines...K&T..Out

[Edited on 3-15-2015 by captkw]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 05:58 AM

I too am sorry chavycha for hijacking your thread...

the reality is you'll never see that little old 15hp motor again
it was probably "ordered" and is hanging on some gringos bigger boat as a kicker...that guy will never know

he'll just haul it north to Canada this summer

since you have a police report...just turn in a claim to your homeowners insurance and you'll be paid
you also sold the "carcass" (boat) so you're half way to your goal of selling the entire package $$$

good luck

this poster captkw doesn't repair boats...first it was yachts now he "hangs" motors on baby boats?...I don't think so...and no business card? no

and "salt away"? just another way for a company to squeeze money out of you...fresh water is just fine...if something clogs its probably sand or a shell or fish guts...the ocean is not clean water...salt away wont clear that...remember "there's no cure for the common cold" yet

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 07:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by captkw  
nice rig Roger....I see fish finders fore/aft/port/stb... the ETEC 150hp I hung Thursday has a 135 amp alternater..whats on that 115hp..damn nice looking package ya got there and I'm a critic..."Russian sub" LOL ! I also see "fish on" rod holders all over...they work great for smaller game,,but not trolling in Baja... btw I do Highly recommend flushing with "salt away" good snake oil..keeps the therms and prv/poppet valves clean..oops almost forgot..ECM cooling port too (pescador)....Tight lines...K&T..Out

[Edited on 3-15-2015 by captkw]

Damn...not only are we hijacking chaycha's thread again, but now I getting between captkw and Bob in their squabble...oh well, that's Nomads for you.

chaycha...bass are not my choice for going gamefishing...and are the least likely fish to ever enter my shore lunch frying pan. I believe Co-pilots opinion was "Yucky-poo".

cap...to answer your concerns... si, I do have some fairly sturdy "fish-on" rod holders and also some SS tubes. I put them on most all my boats, but then I fish a lot for all size gamefish in lots of different water. I like the ease of them and can't say I've ever lost a fish because of them. I don't use or recommend them for marlin, but they work for me and I've been doing pretty good so far trolling in Baja for 40 years.

Here's a bull I took by trolling a feather by way of the rod in the fish-on. Hey, I put it on my 50lb scale and..it just went THUNK! It was many years ago and so far it has reached 80 lbs, but we have lots of cantina times ahead, so who knows how big that thing will get?... :rolleyes:

I like to locate my rod holders in convenient and accessible places.

I catch all my yellowtail on the fish-ons, too. I may be in a rut, but guess I'll stick with them for anything up to billfish size.

Hmm...Well, take my word for it. I do have a 7000rpm tach behind those baitfish. The alternator is 133 amps. On 'Salt-Away', I was given a case of it for Xmas from a fishing buddy, so always keep one spray bottle (and lots of fresh water) onboard. Makes for a quick easy clean-up on reels and Co-pilot's nose.

This thread is getting a little lopsided, nicht wahr?

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 08:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  

since you have a police report...just turn in a claim to your homeowners insurance and you'll be paid

I too had a couple of guys climb over my wall and take the 40hp Evinrude off the back of my Bayrunner last summer. Police report, reward offered (to the cops) posters, segundas, nothing. I think Bob is right, these motors are taken with a buyer already lined up.
I did file a claim with my homeowners insurance and they denied it. They said that vehicles are not covered under homeowners policy and I need to have a specific policy for the boat. Now I have the issue of finding a motor up in the US and taking it down across the border without paying duty - I hope!

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
chavycha
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 09:59 AM

The hijacking is actually pretty damn funny. Carry on. :cool:

A 40hp? That's a 200lb motor, yeah? Are the thieves in Loreto on PEDs?

My homeowners' won't cover it for the same reasons ncampion stated. I called my agent a few days ago to check.
Personal property within the boat (fishing gear, etc.) is but the hull, trailer, and motor aren't.

The Mexican vehicle & boat policy won't cover it (not that I really expected it to) because it's only partial theft. Had they taken the hull and trailer it would've been.

Interesting thought on them having a buyer lined up already. I wonder about some of the shops in SJD or La Paz who are selling used outboards. Gotta get inventory from somewhere.

Quote: Originally posted by ncampion  

I too had a couple of guys climb over my wall and take the 40hp Evinrude off the back of my Bayrunner last summer. Police report, reward offered (to the cops) posters, segundas, nothing. I think Bob is right, these motors are taken with a buyer already lined up.
I did file a claim with my homeowners insurance and they denied it. They said that vehicles are not covered under homeowners policy and I need to have a specific policy for the boat. Now I have the issue of finding a motor up in the US and taking it down across the border without paying duty - I hope!

[Edited on 3-15-2015 by chavycha]
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 10:43 AM

If you think taking that 40 horse was hard, a neighbor down here had a brand new 225 Yamaha 4-Stroke taken off the back of his boat! He was in the US for a while, had a "care-taker" staying at the house and it happened in broad daylight while the care-taker was in town for a couple of hours. Many think he was in on the deal.
I'm trying to think of a way to better secure the motor on the transom so this won't happen again. What do you think about longer mounting bolts and bending them over. Then at least they would need a grinder to cut them off. I don't think you will ever defeat the "professional" thief, but maybe you can discourage the small time guy.

Living Large in Loreto. Off-grid and happy.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 11:23 AM

chavycha - your change of headline to this thread is simply CLASSIC!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 11:26 AM

motor mount locks (don't lose the key)

http://www.mcgard.com/index.php/marine/outboard-motor-locks

200936101255_outboard.jpg - 35kB
Floatflyer
Nomad

Mood: Wet & Cold

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 11:35 AM

I see that the "locking nut" is what I showed you on my boat, so far, so good.

I talked to our mutual friend in La Rib this am and without me saying anything he said it was taken by your neighbor across the street. A very well known thief. It was later that WW told me you had tracked the thief to this same place! MP helping you, that is unlikely.:P

Somebody needs to end up as an example of vigilante justice, this kind of crap has been going on way too long in this, otherwise, nice small town!
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 01:42 PM

chavycha - When you changed the title I quickly opened it in hopes of hearing you got your engine back. Obviously I was greatly disappointed until I saw the real reason. You just can't buy that kind of entertainment! A total train wreck (that one just can't help but look).

Sorry this fun had to come at your loss. I know it is fruitless but I'm still hoping you will get back on the water soon one way or another.

In Memory of E-57
toronja
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 02:28 PM

Yes, Float, knowing where the den of thieves is is frustrating. If we didn't have dogs and a caretaker, I would love to boobytrap our whole property, leave some interesting bait out, and lie in wait. Watching them try to hoof it back over the fence and across the street with a foot in a coyote trap would make it all worthwhile. Maybe next year!
55steve
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 02:30 PM

Perhaps the best thread hijack I've seen/been a part of in a long time!
Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 10:59 PM

this poster captkw doesn't repair boats...first it was yachts now he "hangs" motors on baby boats?...I don't think so...and no business card? no

and "salt away"? just another way for a company to squeeze money out of you...fresh water is just fine...if something clogs its probably sand or a shell or fish guts...the ocean is not clean water...salt away wont clear that...remember "there's no cure for the common cold" yet

How do you know he's not a boat mechanic? Because you disagree with his opinion? Wow.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2015 at 11:09 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Kgryfon  

How do you know he's not a boat mechanic? Because you disagree with his opinion? Wow.

its what we here call a "bobism" and man has there been some beaut's! :lol: somebody needs to compile em all and write a book!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-16-2015 at 06:39 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Quote: Originally posted by Kgryfon  

its what we here call a "bobism" and man has there been some beaut's! :lol: somebody needs to compile em all and write a book!

I was waiting for you willardguy...
this board has an "easy" joining system...ie...no background checks
most members can't even use their real name...
I guess they are afraid of being wrong...sometimes its embarrassing...it is...or they don't exsist
no one need to agree with ME...even doug disagrees sometimes

recently I didn't believe a SAT internet provider in Ensenada...he sure proved me wrong...his service is outstanding...I spent a sh*tload of money with him

I talked to a guy several years ago that told me he had 10 different log-in names...i'm pretty sure doug used to ban him
I drove all the way to Ensenada to buy a small boat from him...it leaked...he told me all little boats leak...they dont

woody on the other hand is a stand-up guy...he had a truck...I bought it using paypal...didn't pick it up for awhile...perfect truck and cheap too

in this case...have you EVER seen a businessman not prove he's in business...even retired guys tell and show you

here in cyber-space you cant believe everything you read...
its just not all true
this guy spurts advice as a professional repairer of boat engines and electrical wiring...
much of what he types is just wrong...
i've know lots of electricans...they know all the tricks to get stuff to work

me...i only type MY experiences with stuff..."been there done that" kinda thing

we live in a place without electricity...water...tv...telephone...internet...sewer
but...we have all that...proof that its possible to live good off the grid

I read quite a bit...I remember quite a bit...(but less as I get older)

all i'd like to see is if a member b*tchs about something...prove it wrong

if you're a "business guy professional" ..prove it with a card or pictures of what you are doing...everyone has a cell phone camera

there is no excuse

done...
yesterday a neighbor came over with his new toy drone...wow
I made a little movie...I can do better...
what a toy!!!
take a look...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPHROVeSZsM

[Edited on 3-16-2015 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.