Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Floating Junk
mcgyver
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2006 at 11:29 PM

Back in those far distant days when the USA had mental Hospitals and I was a serving USCG Officer, I arrested people like that for their own protection and the judges would hospitalize them and their various rigs would be destroyed as menaces to navigation, this was not an uncommon chore. As an example of today's political correctness there has been a self proclaimed homeless person calling himself the "Navigator" Living in a lawn chair on the I-8 freeway exit at Fortuna Rd. in Yuma for two years. The little old ladies feed him, the cops ignore him and he has a high powdered ACLU lawyer protecting him!
I do not believe Mexico has any law against self Immolation having seen the craft they let operate here.

People do not realize how many people drown in the Gulf. Due to lack of coverage in US news most are never reported to non -Spanish readers. And most are never recovered due to the remoteness. For instance two fishermen drowned in December after hitting Consag Rock off of San Felipe, there was no notice outside the Mexican community although the Captain of the ports of San Felipe and Puerto Penasco broadcast it on channel 9 for days, I know because remains of one of them were found on the beach in my campo, at least 4 or 5 more are still missing south of Puertecitos from last years drownings.

My prediction? This guy will sail off and disappear the same way with little or no notice and if his body hits the beach the coyotes and buzzards will obliterate him in hours.

viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2006 at 11:11 AM

Yes, that is probably what will happen. He'll head out on the high outgoing tide in his floating pile of neutrinos, and that's the last we'll hear or see of him. There are big sharks in the Sea of Cortez.

However, a more likely scenario is he and his dog will make it to Santa Maria, Puerticitos, or even Gonzaga (maybe) and hang out there for a year. The local residents will have their "viewing pleasures" for a awhile!

But in all seriousness, it's unfortunate that the first scenario will probably occur and his family will file a missing person's report. He'll disappear off the radar and life in Baja will go on with occasional discussions about that crazy gringo.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-5-2006 at 11:16 AM

I sincerely hope he will not be joining the long list of casualties. You would shudder if you ever saw my Wall of the Dead...just people I have known over the years who have died in strange circumstances.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
viabaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2006 at 04:22 PM

OK kids, Mr Neutrino is still in Laguna Percebu. He was suppose leave a few days ago, but was waiting for a 4th person. So, latest is all 4 are leaving on the 28th which is the highest tide of the month.
They were playing some tunes for coin at the entrance to Percebu campground on Saturday.
Stay tuned as the tides turn.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-20-2006 at 06:01 PM

keep us posted:lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 2-20-2006 at 06:16 PM
Making Music for Money

OK, now I know what they were doing sitting around at the entrance to The Campo this morning. I think the phrase "Motley Crew" aptly describes that bunch.
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2006 at 07:12 PM
junk

I wouldn't write them off so casually. He has already crossed the Atlantic in a thoroughly goofy looking craft.

Lots of nuts have ventured out way over their heads to the laughter of the home folks; Hyerdahl (sp?), Vespucci (sp?), Columbus, Magelan, Erikson, etc.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 05:51 AM

how 'bout "Gilligan and the Skipper too" :tumble:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

rolleyes.gif posted on 2-21-2006 at 07:47 AM
freeboard?

O' he,s in over his head alright,Hyerdahl and the boys
had the all important freeboard going for them,this guys feet
is already wet before he clears Bill,s sandbar:lol:
BAITCAST
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 08:48 AM

Bruce if the lunatic waits till after the voyage to write the book , it won,t get done , i wonder why the mex gov would allow a trip like that ,kind of like giving permission to commit suicide jim
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 11:58 AM
Crossing The Atlantic

As I pointed out once before, The Atlantic has been crossed single-handed in a ROWBOAT !
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 02:15 PM

When I worked for the National Park Service in Grand Teton NP I learned that the government cannot stop you from killing yourself in the mountains. The climbing rangers could spot one of these "accidents" as soon as they walked in the Ranger Station and asked for a permit. All they could do was advise them of the hazard and then end up pulling their body out days later after a very expensive search. What's really sad was if the idiots are only badly hurt they end up sueing the Govt. in a tort claim. The taxpayers are the ones who pay.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 02:40 PM

Make voyages....attempt them. There is little else.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 04:11 PM

After getting into the floating neutonas web site this guy is unbelieveable
i hope he makes it go to his web site what a hoot jim:wow::wow::wow:
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 10:42 PM

Mary Ann and I met Papa Nutrino at my book signing in San Felipe about a month ago (a big thank you to Cat and Ed for their support!). I had already read about his Atlantic antics in The New Yorker magazine (Our Wayward Correspondents Corner) several months back. He is quite a character, but the consensus of this thread seems right on to me - he needs to do some studying and planning. Regardless, The New Yorker is waiting for the second and final installment (attempting to cross the Pacific) and Nutrino is having a great time. Good luck to him!!
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-21-2006 at 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jimgrms
After getting into the floating neutonas web site this guy is unbelieveable
i hope he makes it go to his web site what a hoot jim:wow::wow::wow:

Make that... Unflockingbelieveable. ;)

After reading his philosophy/goals he'd better hope he doesn't make it to China. Meeting his maker in middle Pacific would be way more desirable than a Chinese Communist welcome.

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2006 at 06:03 PM
Ole, Jose ! Neutrino Aweigh !

The (Semi) Floating Neutrino set off today on the High Tide. He Hoisted anchor and left under "power" just before Noon while the tide was still flooding, apparently wanting to get out of the Lagoon before the Ebb began to get the best effect heading South. His outboard quit 3 or more times while he was leaving, but finally appeared to be working well.

[Edited on 2-27-2006 by MrBillM]
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 02:36 PM
any news...

on how far the old neutrino has gone or if he's still alive:O:O

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 02:39 PM
Wow, look at those beautiful "barrier islands"-------

in MrBillM's photo:lol: "Hook" is going to love this!!!!
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2006 at 03:55 PM

Heard today he made it to Puertocitos

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.