BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  
Author: Subject: The Chatarra Project: a plastic bottle waste awareness project.
watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2013 at 08:55 AM

Just a thought, but it might be more of a dramatic statement if all the bottles were actually litter that had been picked up from the roadside, from in the arroyos, off of the beaches, and then recycled into the construction of the boat.

I yam what I yam and that\'s all what I yam.
SwissFrank
Banned

Mood: lovable

[*] posted on 5-25-2013 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname
Just a thought, but it might be more of a dramatic statement if all the bottles were actually litter that had been picked up from the roadside, from in the arroyos, off of the beaches, and then recycled into the construction of the boat.

If you must pee on my flotilla, please use one of the plastic bottles and then leave it in front of Jeans house.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2013 at 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SwissFrank

If you must pee on my flotilla, please use one of the plastic bottles and then leave it in front of Jeans house.

:lol::lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2013 at 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by watizname

I guess they could make that claim. :light:
SwissFrank
Banned

Mood: lovable

[*] posted on 5-25-2013 at 10:49 AM

Jean, That ain't apple juice sister!
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2013 at 12:58 PM

13 Days Before We Launch and We’re Behind

I AM FREAKING OUT! Only two weeks before we put the raft Chatarra into the Sea (and 21 days to departure) and I feel like we have too much to do; build the raft, get the sponsors, write the blog, design and print literature, stock supplies, and on and on…oh yah and post to Facebook, or club website, the Chatarra website, and on and on…I can not wait to get on the water and slow down. This is supposed to the be the slow time of the year. The season has ended and most people have gone home, so it should be slow, but I can say this has been one of the busiest two months we have had in a long time.

Last week we gave a music presentation, with the help from Rio Samaya Band, for a group of youth Interact members at Rositas Restaurant. The Interact club is a youth project of the Rotary Club International and San Felipe has their own club led by William “Pim” VanSisseren. The kids are structured with president, secretary, treasurer, etc. and they create and manage their own community projects. It was a great opportunity to talk with the kids.

WATCH THE VIDEO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o...

The Chatarra Project wants to get the attention of the youth, and there is not better way than with music. During the presentation we talk about the damage of waste and the need to reduce, reuse and recycle. Each of the kids are given shakers made from rice and reused plastic bottles. The shakers lets them all join in the music. We hope through music and the raft we will capture the attention of the youth and give us just a moment to plant the seed for a cleaner Baja future.

There seems to just not be enough time in each day to get everything done. The stress has been getting to Rachel and I and we have been snapping at each other. We each have our own stresses, along with our shared stress…plus at the moment we have 6 house-guests. Pancho and Sal, a couple of Latin and world musicians from Canada have been with us for a couple weeks, and Wednesday Bill and Lola have returned for the third time and brought their grand kids. So, there is always something to do, or someone to talk with at any moment.

Pancho and Sal have been playing music and getting me back into playing guitar, which has been wonderful, if only I could find a little more time to do it. I have decided to bring my guitar with us on the trip. Although I do not have a guitar case, I do have plenty of Hefty garbage bags that I can carry it in. It is waterproof and that is something that will come in handy.

Bill and Lola came down from Yuma the first time to play in a concert we did for Mother’s Day, then returned a week later because they loved it. During the second visit they purchased a lot and now returned again to show their grand kids. All the people and activity is great and Rachel and I love it, but it does slow our progress slightly. However, we wouldn’t have it any other way. Last night we sat on the patio and Bill, Sal, Pancho and I played music for ourselves until we all were falling asleep. So, I am sure as stressed as we are, it will all work out great.

The Chatarra Project is coming along great. The sponsorship and donations have been going okay and the raft is getting completed. Financially we need to raise more. Our objective is $5000, which we know is high, but it will allow us to accomplish all of our goals for all of Baja. The minimum is $2000 to get the project off the ground and make it happen and that is growing. These things take time, this is going to be an ongoing project, that we hope will continue long after we reach La Paz. We have raised $695 with the $150 raised at our patio hot dog jam, and a $100 donation from our friend David Anderson at Cantu Cove. Plus, Pancho and Sal raffled a performance and the winners Jim and Laurel Ross, have decided to make the performance on their patio a fundraiser too, which is terrific. You just never know when and where you’ll get the support, you just have to keep going.

So, you just never know. We do know however, that we are extremely excited about our plan to launch the raft. Although the math has been done and we know the theory of upward thrust, we are still a bit nervous, so we have created a plan to allow us adjustment of the upward thrust. Steve Sherrod, our co-designer and builder of the Chatarra is coming over on Monday to weld legs and feet onto the Chatarra in six positions. The idea being that we can rest on the legs, which provides enough height to keep the paddle wheel and rudder off the ground and out of the sand at low tide. So, essentially we can park it on the beach at low tide.

The idea is to set the raft up with far more bottles then estimated we need and wait until the tide to comes up. Once lifted we can check the lift and height of the raft above water. We can make adjustments by removing any excess bottles, then wait for the next high tide to check it again, and so forth until we have it just right. Doing it in this manner, we can just stay anchored off shore on the north end of town and hang out until we know we are exactly where we want to be before casting off for good.

As we get closer our needs become more apparent and at this time we are desperately short. We have a list of things we still need, so if you can check your garage or storage for any of these items, please let us know. We also need at least $650 in cash to print the waste awareness materials, another couple hundred for supplies and a ton of our labor, but definitely a labor of love. We will also need a team to help us move it to the water on the June 20, at 7AM.

Please help us accomplish our goal of capturing the attention of the Mexican youth with the 600 mile journey down the Sea of Cortez to provide information on the damage of plastic waste and ways to reduce, reuse and recycle.

500 – Chatarra Sticker (cost $200)
2000 – Chatarra 8.5×11 Flyers (cost $300)
100 – Chatarra 11×17 Posters (cost $150)
20 – 6-8 foot Cargo Straps
11 – 1″ conduit for Canopy
8 – 1″ Canopy brackets
4 – 2″ 4×8 foam sheets
90 feet – 2/8″ (or more) Rope
15 feet – 3/16″ Chain
SUPPORT THE CHATARRA PROJECT

http://igg.me/at/chatarra

[Edited on 6-8-2013 by mexicoliving]

The Baja Good Life Club - http://www.bajagoodlifeclub.com
Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2013 at 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mexicoliving
13 Days Before We Launch and We’re Behind

I AM FREAKING OUT! Only two weeks before we put the raft Chatarra into the Sea (and 21 days to departure) and I feel like we have too much to do; build the raft, get the sponsors, write the blog, design and print literature, stock supplies, and on and on…oh yah and post to Facebook, or club website, the Chatarra website, and on and on…I can not wait to get on the water and slow down. This is supposed to the be the slow time of the year. The season has ended and most people have gone home, so it should be slow, but I can say this has been one of the busiest two months we have had in a long time.

Last week we gave a music presentation, with the help from Rio Samaya Band, for a group of youth Interact members at Rositas Restaurant. The Interact club is a youth project of the Rotary Club International and San Felipe has their own club led by William “Pim” VanSisseren. The kids are structured with president, secretary, treasurer, etc. and they create and manage their own community projects. It was a great opportunity to talk with the kids.

WATCH THE VIDEO - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o...

The Chatarra Project wants to get the attention of the youth, and there is not better way than with music. During the presentation we talk about the damage of waste and the need to reduce, reuse and recycle. Each of the kids are given shakers made from rice and reused plastic bottles. The shakers lets them all join in the music. We hope through music and the raft we will capture the attention of the youth and give us just a moment to plant the seed for a cleaner Baja future.

There seems to just not be enough time in each day to get everything done. The stress has been getting to Rachel and I and we have been snapping at each other. We each have our own stresses, along with our shared stress…plus at the moment we have 6 house-guests. Pancho and Sal, a couple of Latin and world musicians from Canada have been with us for a couple weeks, and Wednesday Bill and Lola have returned for the third time and brought their grand kids. So, there is always something to do, or someone to talk with at any moment.

Pancho and Sal have been playing music and getting me back into playing guitar, which has been wonderful, if only I could find a little more time to do it. I have decided to bring my guitar with us on the trip. Although I do not have a guitar case, I do have plenty of Hefty garbage bags that I can carry it in. It is waterproof and that is something that will come in handy.

Bill and Lola came down from Yuma the first time to play in a concert we did for Mother’s Day, then returned a week later because they loved it. During the second visit they purchased a lot and now returned again to show their grand kids. All the people and activity is great and Rachel and I love it, but it does slow our progress slightly. However, we wouldn’t have it any other way. Last night we sat on the patio and Bill, Sal, Pancho and I played music for ourselves until we all were falling asleep. So, I am sure as stressed as we are, it will all work out great.

The Chatarra Project is coming along great. The sponsorship and donations have been going okay and the raft is getting completed. Financially we need to raise more. Our objective is $5000, which we know is high, but it will allow us to accomplish all of our goals for all of Baja. The minimum is $2000 to get the project off the ground and make it happen and that is growing. These things take time, this is going to be an ongoing project, that we hope will continue long after we reach La Paz. We have raised $695 with the $150 raised at our patio hot dog jam, and a $100 donation from our friend David Anderson at Cantu Cove. Plus, Pancho and Sal raffled a performance and the winners Jim and Laurel Ross, have decided to make the performance on their patio a fundraiser too, which is terrific. You just never know when and where you’ll get the support, you just have to keep going.

So, you just never know. We do know however, that we are extremely excited about our plan to launch the raft. Although the math has been done and we know the theory of upward thrust, we are still a bit nervous, so we have created a plan to allow us adjustment of the upward thrust. Steve Sherrod, our co-designer and builder of the Chatarra is coming over on Monday to weld legs and feet onto the Chatarra in six positions. The idea being that we can rest on the legs, which provides enough height to keep the paddle wheel and rudder off the ground and out of the sand at low tide. So, essentially we can park it on the beach at low tide.

The idea is to set the raft up with far more bottles then estimated we need and wait until the tide to comes up. Once lifted we can check the lift and height of the raft above water. We can make adjustments by removing any excess bottles, then wait for the next high tide to check it again, and so forth until we have it just right. Doing it in this manner, we can just stay anchored off shore on the north end of town and hang out until we know we are exactly where we want to be before casting off for good.

As we get closer our needs become more apparent and at this time we are desperately short. We have a list of things we still need, so if you can check your garage or storage for any of these items, please let us know. We also need at least $650 in cash to print the waste awareness materials, another couple hundred for supplies and a ton of our labor, but definitely a labor of love. We will also need a team to help us move it to the water on the June 20, at 7AM.

Please help us accomplish our goal of capturing the attention of the Mexican youth with the 600 mile journey down the Sea of Cortez to provide information on the damage of plastic waste and ways to reduce, reuse and recycle.

500 – Chatarra Sticker (cost $200)
2000 – Chatarra 8.5×11 Flyers (cost $300)
100 – Chatarra 11×17 Posters (cost $150)
20 – 6-8 foot Cargo Straps
11 – 1″ conduit for Canopy
8 – 1″ Canopy brackets
4 – 2″ 4×8 foam sheets
90 feet – 2/8″ (or more) Rope
15 feet – 3/16″ Chain
SUPPORT THE CHATARRA PROJECT

http://igg.me/at/chatarra

[Edited on 6-8-2013 by mexicoliving]

Sounds like you need to get busy.
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 6-9-2013 at 09:49 AM

Good luck!

I had serious doubts about several aspects of your last trip. Somehow you made it so you must have a lot on your side.

The SOC can be brutal. Be careful

No worries
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 02:49 PM

Quick update: We are leaving at 4AM Thursday when the tide is right. Our goal is only 20 miles per day. We have completed all the work on the raft and have added additional liters of bottles. We took her for a spin and she handled perfectly with the tiller, rudder and wheel are performing great, even in swells.

FAQ:
* All bottles were collected as trash, then cleaned and delabeled.
* We will be carrying 40 gallons of water.
* We have a marine radio
* 3/4 of the raft is covered, so there is shade.
* We have life jackets.
* The estimated time is 40 days
* We have solar panels and power
* We have an outboard for emergencies
* We will remain close to shore
* We are both ASA certified blue water sailors
* We owned and operated and sailing and surfing charter business before moving to Baja
* Rachel is a swim instructor
* John was a commercial diver
* The project is self funded and with the help of donations
* Our goals is to create awareness to the problem and plant a seed for a cleaner future
* The raft is 8' x 16'
* There are 1560 liters of bottles floating the raft
* The raft weight capacity is 3120 pounds.
* The raft is powered by a paddlewheel with two pedal stations
* The raft will made stops in Puertecitos, Gonzaga Bay, Bay of LA, San Franciquito, El Barril, Santa Rosalia, Mulege, Loreto and La Paz.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
http://chatarra.bglclub.com
http://www.bglclub.com
http://www.notirebasura.org

FACEBOOK:
https://www.facebook.com/bajagoodlifeclub

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 04:22 PM

Buenas Suerte!

"The future ain't what it used to be"
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 04:45 PM

Quote:

* Our goals is to create awareness to the problem and plant a seed for a cleaner future

I've asked before how you intend to do this. It seems making trash functional only adds value to it.
Is the instruction to be extrapolated from your passing by in a vehicle made of discarded objects, or will there be onshore, accompanying seminar type methods to spread the message that , although trash may in fact be keeping you afloat, it has no value in our environment?

Bon Voyage, at any rate.
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 05:54 PM

We have printed literature, the new notirebasura.org website, and meetings in each city, primarily to establish the contacts to achieve our 3 primary goals:

Our #1 Goal is to create awareness to the problem of waste and litter in Baja California. The raft project creates attention, even today tourism office was asking about setting up additional press conferences.

Our #2 Goal is work with, support, and or create a network of people in each of Baja’s communities that desire to help CLEAN BAJA! During the trip we will be making the contacts and gathering resources for recycling, and community cleaning projects.

Our #3 Goal is to establish a CLEAN BAJA DAY that benefits the environment and helps beautify Baja. Participants in a community CLEAN BAJA DAY can include the entire family, both children and adults.

Thank you for the question

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 06:17 PM

Quote:

Thank you for the question

Thank you for the informative answer.
mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-24-2013 at 07:17 PM

Here are some pictures from the launch:
Chatarra Launch

mexicoliving
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 05:30 PM

Quick update...we left at about 3:30AM this morning, but before we made it to the Sierra Kila point, my peddle went out again, same as the one I replaced earlier in the week. We thought about continuing to Cantu Cove, but Rachel's right side started to do the same. It got to where we were making no headway at all. When we went to start the outboard it wouldn't start to save my life, although it started up perfectly the night before. After floating in the current, we decided to get back home and make repairs, but with both sides going out we couldn't move. Thinking I could swim to shore and get close enough to shore to stand, I disconnected one of the anchor lines, jumped in and swam towards shore, but when the line ran out, the ground was not found below and since I was already tired Rachel pulled me back. We then tied two lines together and Rachel swam to shore and made it. At this point Capt. Dan showed up and help Rachel pull us towards shore. Once we were both able to stand in the tide, we pushed and pulled the raft all the way back to Campos Ocotillos (one of the toughest walks of our lives). Our plan now is to correct the problem and leave again, before our original launch date of July 1. Thank you again for all the support. On another note, we have realized we need another outboard and a kayak, so if you have either that we can rent, sell, or loan to us please let us know.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2013 at 05:36 PM

WOW....just when you think you've thought of everything..........

Be careful out there.
bledito
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2013 at 07:29 PM

do you have to license such a raft ? can anone float out a raft in the cortez sea and fish , dive, snorkle off it . i think the kids would enjoy having a raft a hundred yards out ancored to mess around on.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 7-23-2013 at 11:02 PM

Looking at your pics of the craft surprised me as the drag with those sacks of bottles must make progress very slow. Why didn't you incorporate the flotation within a few pontoons-design type "hulls" ?

Good luck :saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2013 at 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Looking at your pics of the craft surprised me as the drag with those sacks of bottles must make progress very slow. Why didn't you incorporate the flotation within a few pontoons-design type "hulls" ?

I don't think that would address their statement concerning plastic trash.

I wonder where this floating dumpster is now?
meme
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-24-2013 at 08:13 AM

I believe this whole project has now been cancelled, last I heard anyway. Did not seem to work out.
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.