BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6
Author: Subject: Best rig for getting around off the pavement in Baja?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-7-2007 at 06:19 PM

Larry, get into a new Tacoma extra cab or double cab and slide the driver's seat back... wow, Wilt Chamberland would be happy! Tons of room... I am not tall, but a bit wide, and the Tacoma is very comfortable driving long distances. I am sure the Tundra is too.

I am happy your Chevy works for you... I have friends who have them too, and like them (or say they do)!

My Tacoma is 1 year and 7 months old and has almost 50,000 miles already... No breakdowns, failures, etc. considering all the Baja miles it has on it.

I did report two issues so far, a break noise that ended with the first replacement of the pads and the rear suspension is too soft. There were no other problems or complaints, so far!

My first Tacoma (a 2001) had 136,000 miles on it in just 5 years and only the water pump was replaced after it had a drip at 90,000 miles... No failures causing a breakdown, no other complaints.

[Edited on 3-8-2007 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 3-9-2007 at 10:54 PM

My Ford Ranger was a real piece of $&!t, but in San Ignacio on Christmas day, we were able to source a brake master cylinder out of a totalled Ford Explorer, and I was on my way within hrs. to Sta. Rosallita.

oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 3-10-2007 at 04:44 PM
I FOUND ONE!!!!!!

O.K. I live in Boise and have spent the last 6 weeks looking for something I could afford... found one on craigslist.org... 2000 Tacoma 4x4, ext cab short bed(?). 5spd, 2.7 eng, SR% pkg.. looks like new... $8500 , 103k miles, looks like new .. flew from Boise to Phoenix.. bought the truck at the airport.. drove to my brothers in Las Vegas.... 19-21mpg could have made it on one tank.. this truck seems to have all the options now looking for a camper shell and then taking it to Los Barriles to its new home... thanks for everybody's input
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2007 at 08:58 PM

nice!!
Ducks

Mood: Bipolar with a hint of ADD

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pappy Jon
Dang, that's three of us crossin' over from MUD.

Also heard about nomad from mud.

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 09:46 PM
Just got back from a few days on the coast...

...here in Norte California (Half Moon Bay)...and visited with a German couple that are heading to Baja in their home-built European Diesel powered Toyota Land Cruiser. This rig is really compact, and every possible space is devoted to part of their gear...I gave them a BAJA TIME sticker to add some real 'class' to aft side of their unique rig!

Look for them down Baja way...they are going to take the Ferry out of La Paz. They will then continue all the way down Central American and have their rig transported as deck cargo from Panama to Equador...

GerCampr.JPG - 49kB

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 09:47 PM
Side View

GerCamp.JPG - 41kB

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 10:01 PM

that is nice
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 10:11 PM

That last Toyota just might be the ultimate rig. But I don't know about the availability of diesel South of Mexico. I like the style of the cab. I know that camping spot (or would it more accurately be called a parking spot?) at 1/2MB.
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 10:16 PM

It looks like the ultimate father/son rig. I don't think an American woman could handle it for any length of time - unless you are staying in a hotel each night that is.
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 10:45 PM

If Amo has a Big Unit--then this is my Bigger Unit! :lol: Good seeing you over the holidays Aaaay-MO. Thx for stopping by! Here's my pick!

international_unicat340.jpg - 16kB

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2007 at 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
It looks like the ultimate father/son rig. I don't think an American woman could handle it for any length of time - unless you are staying in a hotel each night that is.

To defend the fine women who peruse this board and some of which have proven to be completely "Baja Proven," and of course some that have proven NOT to be "Baja Proven," could you explain why an American woman could not handle it...I could probably name at least 10 women on this board that I know who could handle it..and I think they're American...:?:

All the WIW could handle it eh Neal?

:tumble:
:smug:
:P
:lol:
:O
:light:
:coolup:
:cool:
:?:
:barf:
:(
:rolleyes:
:wow:
:spingrin:
:lol:
:barf:
;D
:spingrin:
:fire:
:moon:
:rolleyes:

Me: I just strapped em' to the roof and haul azz...

Okay--I'm kidding already!

But really what gives here man!:lol: Don't get mad .. I'm just curious!

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 3-13-2007 at 01:38 AM

Hi there Bull,

Those UNICAT's are awesome BIG UNITS!!! I would love to have one of them. Maybe I'll get one when I win the Mega Millions Lotto, because that how much it would take.

It was good to see you too!! ;D :D
Miguelamo
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2007 at 09:35 AM
One of Ken's Buddies????

Jeep-2.jpg - 18kB
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2007 at 05:31 PM

Probably any woman posting on this board can handle some adventure Baja travel in the Toyota above. A bunch of the other women might say they could handle a long trip in the little Toyota thing, but they will get cranky and want to bail after awhile. A couple of days maybe. Most would take a look at the size of that thing and say, " No way." American women were brought up on luxuries. But I will take you to task on researching this issue if you insist. First I will need to get possession of the vehicle and some time off. I will need help on obtaining both of those. If you want to help...
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-13-2007 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

These gals get around... Here's that Jeep at the Pyramid Resort's May, 2004 Book Signing #2...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  ..  4    6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.