Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Thanks for your time Steve... facts are good.

and if the facts are inconvenient truths, then declare them lies :lol::lol::lol:

climate scientists that disagree with my politics are obviously liars!

Man caused global climate change or man able to fix climate change is the LIE.

Weather changes, always has and always will. Warming trends are followed by a cooling trend... draught is followed by rain... it really IS that simple. Learn to live with what earth is, a dynamic, wild and also peaceful planet. Taking money from working people to pretend to fix something that can't be fixed, nor is even broke is just sad.

[Edited on 3-13-2014 by David K]

Question for you DK

Do any of the following activities of human beings affect weather and or climate?

Urbanization
Large scale agricultural activity
De-forestation
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 03:45 PM

I don't buy the notion that someone who does not live on land cannot grow a garden. People (and many of my friends as well) are doing it every day all over the world in very small spaces. There is a HUGE small space food growing movement going on! You don't need land to grow food nor do you need a lot of space...just about any veggie can be grown in a container/pot. Grow varities that grow verticle! Many do it on their apartment patios and balconies! And although pots can get expensive, get creative...take apart free pallets and build a crate, use buckets (7-11 up here sells them for a buck!), use old dresser drawers! A pack of seeds is cheap and can grow a lot of food.

BarryA....that is so cool that you grow too! We have a harbor freight greenhouse as well, although we don't heat ours in the winter, just too expensive and hubby shot down the idea of putting a wood stove in there (gee I wonder why LOL), but I do grow cool weather crops in there in the winter...kale, chard, spinach etc. and also grow Fall sown crops outdoors in the winter under cloches. I keep my root veggies in the ground all winter long since I don't have a root cellar and when I haven't had time to can them, nothing tastes as sweet as a carrot dug out from under the snow! Can't wait to install an automatic watering system in the greenhouse here in the next month! I hear ya...Life sure has changed for us, we can now travel in the peak of summer...whereas before we were never able to leave our garden during summer or we just couldn't plant a garden that year if we had to travel in summer...now with the automatic watering system in our main outside garden..we can travel in the summer and come home to veggies ready to pick!

And one certainly doesn't need a greenhouse to grow in colder climates, build a cheap hoop house no matter what size, or grow under cloches, build a cold frame, and eat in season! In the Winter, my entire kitchen and dining room is filled with racks of seedlings under grow lights and seedlings on the window sills too! Hundreds of babies! It's all doable, if one really wants to grow their own food no matter the space you have or what climate you live in, you can find a way!

Yeah, this thread veered off course (sorry!)...yet really water, climate change, and food go together and their issues are all interconnected everywhere. But yeah, high-jacked for sure (guilty!).

I wish BN had a gardening/self sustainable living forum...I would love to hear what people are doing in Baja to live more self-sustainable, rain catchment systems etc and it would be great to learn more about growing food and ornamentals in Baja from all of you and your triumphs and trials as well! I have so much to learn about growing in Baja! It's very exciting!

Diane, you are so spot on!

BarryA: farmers up here in Western WA. get one crop of hay, and in Eastern WA. they get 2 crops.

have a great day everyone, be well be happy!

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 03:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

and if the facts are inconvenient truths, then declare them lies :lol::lol::lol:

Weather changes, always has and always will. Warming trends are followed by a cooling trend... draught is followed by rain... it really IS that simple. Learn to live with what earth is, a dynamic, wild and also peaceful planet. Taking money from working people to pretend to fix something that can't be fixed, nor is even broke is just sad.

Just how much money is taken from the working people? (that is assuming they are working). How do you stratify the working vs non-working people? And are you suggesting that the efforts to curb pollution, promote energy efficiency, and explore man's effect on nature should be abandoned?
BajaLuna
Senior Nomad

Mood: groovy

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 04:06 PM

years ago when I lived in CV/SD, we had mandatory water rationing. We had to water on even or odd days according to one's address. Is that still going on in San Diego?

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 05:19 PM

Agree with growing in small areas ... have been using square foot gardening ... works well

Would like to add in some different plants, but, having a very hard time finding "Bacon Seeds"

Any help would be greatly appreciated :biggrin::biggrin:

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 06:38 PM

"Volcanoes emit CO2 both on land and underwater. Underwater volcanoes emit between 66 to 97 million tonnes of CO2 per year. However, this is balanced by the carbon sink provided by newly formed ocean floor lava. Consequently, underwater volcanoes have little effect on atmospheric CO2 levels. The greater contribution comes from subaerial volcanoes (subaerial means "under the air", refering to land volcanoes). Subaerial volcanoes are estimated to emit 242 million tonnes of CO2 per year (Morner 2002).

In contrast, humans are currently emiting around 29 billion tonnes of CO2 per year (EIA). Human CO2 emissions are over 100 times greater than volcanic CO2 emissions. This is apparent when comparing atmospheric CO2 levels to volcanic activity since 1960. Even strong volcanic eruptions such as Pinatubo, El Chicon and Agung had little discernable impact on CO2 levels. In fact, the rate of change of CO2 levels actually drops slightly after a volcanic eruption, possibly due to the cooling effect of aerosols."

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaLuna
years ago when I lived in CV/SD, we had mandatory water rationing. We had to water on even or odd days according to one's address. Is that still going on in San Diego?

No mandatory water restrictions. But they are providing rebates for installing rainwater harvesting equipment, and removal of turf from front yards to reduce water use for landscaping.

I have 2-200 gallon rainwater barrels, and lots of trash cans I fill up after storms to use on potted plants. They prefer rain vs. tap water. However I purchased them before the rebates :(

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
Whale-ista
Super Nomad

Mood: Sunny with chance of whales

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 07:02 PM
BN Gardening forum would be great

I've suggested this before. Happy to answer questions regarding:composting, organic gardening etc.

I currently harvest lots of oranges, but lack of sunlight makes other trees difficult. One reason I'm looking forward to a new yard in Baja with more light.

\"Probably the airplanes will bring week-enders from Los Angeles before long, and the beautiful poor bedraggled old town will bloom with a Floridian ugliness.\" (John Steinbeck, 1940, discussing the future of La Paz, BCS, Mexico)
chippy
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 10:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For somebody who is always correcting the spanish spelling of places in baja your english spelling is horrible. Draught?

Why are you the mouth peice of the right? Their economics have not served you well. You are lower middle class uneducated and drive on cheap ass pep boys tires.

Your ignorant political agenda gets old. Change is good! Its not too late.:lol::P:tumble::spingrin::yes::bounce:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 10:29 PM

BajaLuna and Diane: Thank you for reminding me that water is only half of the process of photosynthesis. The other being sunlight. There is definitely less of it in the pacific northwest. It rained every day and there was only brief periods of sunlight. So you have sun in one area and water in another. And everyone wants to live in sunny climates. Our Central Valley gets a ton a sunlight and the towering Sierras are right next door to provide all the water we need. Sounds like a winning formula ... until global warming turned off the tap.

BTW, I can understand why San Diegans know little about Imperial Valley. I've seen it and was unimpressed.

The idea of growing your own fruits and veggies is very attractive to me and I intend to do that after retirement. I still feel that it is impractical as a significant source of food for most people but a good 'hobby' after retirement. There are numerous models about food acreage required to sustain an individual and a backyard in LA or planter boxes is not going to do it. Then there is the practical side of it: who wants to put in 8 hours at the office, spend 2 hours commuting, and then come home and tend his/her garden? ... before meal preparation. Many of us don't even have the time and energy to cook and just go out to eat.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 11:14 PM

Quote:

No, because the drought is not severe here... our local water supply is fine and because of conservation through smarter watering methods and low flow toilets, etc. we don't need to go on odd/even or selected days to irrigate. I am happy to report drip and low volume irrigation and smart controllers do work, and when installed and operated correctly reduce water use and maintain property value and beauty (and give us oxygen).

Again, the crisis is largely political... rain will come... but they want more dollars, now.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2014 at 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chippy
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

For somebody who is always correcting the spanish spelling of places in baja your english spelling is horrible. Draught?

Why are you the mouth peice of the right? Their economics have not served you well. You are lower middle class uneducated and drive on cheap burro pep boys tires.

Your ignorant political agenda gets old. Change is good! Its not too late.:lol::P:tumble::spingrin::yes::bounce:

I don't correct anything more than place name spelling. I always have admitted to be a poor speller, but you are new here so maybe never read those posts by me? English and Baja needs to always be capitalized, by-the-way. Thanks for the heads up on draught vs. drought (my auto correct didn't catch it nor did I). I will have a draught beer to quench the drought in my mouth... the place down the street from where I live has Pacifico (and Dos Equis) on tap! :bounce:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajaemma

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 05:37 AM

Is this thread ending in a bar? Sometimes Pacifico can do that
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 06:30 AM

Quote:
Quote:

No, because the drought is not severe here... our local water supply is fine and because of conservation through smarter watering methods and low flow toilets, etc. we don't need to go on odd/even or selected days to irrigate. I am happy to report drip and low volume irrigation and smart controllers do work, and when installed and operated correctly reduce water use and maintain property value and beauty (and give us oxygen).

Again, the crisis is largely political... rain will come... but they want more dollars, now.

You are clueless to say the drought is not severe:?:

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 06:44 AM

Every time I get lectured by somebody who touts man caused climate change I ask them if they can find the Great Lakes on a map. Some can believe it or not!

Then I ask What dug 'em?
GLACIERS!
right!
WHERE ARE THEY NOW?
Melted. Wow!
WHAT CAUSED THAT?
GLOBAL WARMING!!!!
So what caused that?
Probably Cave men barbecuing too many Mastodons or maybe some Sabre toothed tigers had a bad attack of flatulence.
"Recon so...but I don't know"

BB:-)
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 06:52 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Local water supplies? Do you know where your water comes from?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 07:43 AM

San DiegoCoastkeeper.org:

San Diego’s limited amount of rainfall, in addition to other local sources, only accounts for about 20% of its water supply. (Local supply includes surface water, or lakes and streams; groundwater; recycled water, also known as 'purple pipe'; and conservation.) The other 80% must be imported.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Okay, I want to make sure I FULLY understand what you are saying --

1. Where is this local supply for San Diego? Where does your water come from?

2. The Emergency Drought situation and proclamation are not real or needed, they are largely political because some "they" wants more money? Correct? Who is getting what money?

According to the map in THIS ARTICLE you are partially correct as San Diego is listed as moderate drought whereas the majority of California is Severe drought. Please notice the beautiful picture of Florence Lake. But do you think that the EXTREME drought conditions elsewhere do not affect San Diego?

Do you think that the state should just wait for the rain and take no official action?

You never answered these questions. Do you think that the following activities of man can affect weather and climate?

Urbanization
Large Scale Agriculture
Deforestation

BTW-- someone mentioned the Great Lakes that were created by melting glaciers and yes they were, and the activities of human beings killed them and are working on killing them again.

[Edited on 3-14-2014 by DianaT]
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 08:50 AM

A spokesperson from the San Diego Water Authority is who said what I posted. It was on the local news. No water restrictions yet because our local sources are fine.

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 3-14-2014 at 09:09 AM

Posted by DianaT above: "BTW-- someone mentioned the Great Lakes that were created by melting glaciers and yes they were, and the activities of human beings killed them and are working on killing them again. "

Seriously, Please explain this statement.

I always thought the Great Lakes were created by active Glaciers grinding out depressions in the Earth's surface during an Ice Age. And, they were/are being filled and sustained by rain and snow via rivers (like Lake Tahoe).

You say they were "killed" by man, and now they are being "killed" again?????

No comprende.

Barry
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  10

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.