Pages:  1  ..  5    7  
Author: Subject: Riding a bicycle down Baja
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 2-2-2008 at 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
Children playing by the road? In all my years traveling that road (lots) That has never been an issue.:?:

Well, I've noticed them. Usually around San Quentin or El Rosario. Although; most kids stay clear of the road. In general it is a good idea slow down as you approach any town, village, or rancho not only for the sake of safety but just out of respect for the people that live there.

I grew up on a two lane road with a 25MPH speed limit that people would often drive faster than 50MPH+. Several different kids in my neighborhood were hit crossing that road on their way to school during my childhood. Nobody saw them until it was too late.

Either way, kids or no kids, there is no amount of nit picking that will get around the argument that Hwy 1 is full of hazards and the road itself, other road users, and the people that live near the road deserve more respect than they are often given.
Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 05:01 PM

I hear ya Mango. I always slow WAAY down going thru towns or villages, ranchos.It is their place , but they pretty much all know that it is a Carretera.Kids included, but not necessarily the animals or the "challenged".

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 11:00 PM

I just heard that Dave is now in Guerrero Negro.

I think the world is run by C- students.
Desertsurfergal
Junior Nomad

Mood: wishful..for Baja

[*] posted on 2-4-2008 at 11:58 PM
Brave

Wow!!! Very brave. Good on you and keep us posted.

\"Life\'s a journey, not a destination...\" Aerosmith
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 08:30 AM
Baja Norte

Dave has put an update on his site. An enjoyable read. http://ridesouth.net/

bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2008 at 09:28 AM

Glad to hear that he is doing ok
We met several bicylists on our trip and I kept asking...do you have friends in La Paz that you are going to visit....no luck

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 2-20-2008 at 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gibson
Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
These guys have no business on that road, and I do not wish them luck, I only wish they would get off the highway.

CaboRon

"OUTTA MY WAAAY" teehee

"me, me, me, me"

I got some 'kind' if that would help ya:lol:

I just have to say that going less than two miles an hour on a long hill is not shareing the road. My car won't go that slowly without stalling out.

In the states there is NO bike riding allowed on a highway, mainly for safety reasons. I think the bike rider is selfish.

CaboRon

gibson
Banned

[*] posted on 2-20-2008 at 06:45 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by gibson
Quote:
These guys have no business on that road, and I do not wish them luck, I only wish they would get off the highway.

CaboRon

"OUTTA MY WAAAY" teehee

"me, me, me, me"

I got some 'kind' if that would help ya:lol:

I just have to say that going less than two miles an hour on a long hill is not shareing the road. My car won't go that slowly without stalling out.

In the states there is NO bike riding allowed on a highway, mainly for safety reasons. I think the bike rider is selfish.

CaboRon

nice attempt but ya just pushed a lil' too hard with the last sentence.
keep trying, who knows... one day you may master the art of the 'bait'. not today pobracito (sp)
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-20-2008 at 08:59 PM
Dave is in La Paz.

Dave has arrived safely in La Paz. Arrived this afternoon. Will give more of an update later.

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 06:07 PM

It's been fun having Dave stay with us. He hasn't updated him website yet but should do so soon. Don't know how he will be able to put everything in his notes without turning it into a book.

Turns out that he now considers cycling down Baja safer than cycling in the States much of the time. Drivers have been courteous, especially truckers and bus drivers. He's learned to pull over for passing RV's. He's had nothing but positive meetings with locals all the way. Dave says he wishes he could find a way to just keep biking like this the rest of his life. Nice to know he's doing something he enjoys.

While up in TJ, Dave rode a bit with a couple other riders and met a 4th rider. They all split up a short time after with different time frames and agendas. A week of so later he met up with the 4th rider again and they have been traveling together since then. While Dave's plans include riding all the way to the end of Argentina, Amy 'only' plans on riding until June when she has to go back to work. That will probably put them somewhere around Panama.

It's interesting that in my mind I think of hardly anyone cycling the length of Baja. Seems like quite a few riders do it every year. Now we meet a young lady who planned on doing it herself and only through a stroke of luck met someone who seems very compatible and they are riding together. Turns out both are even from the Seattle area. Small world.

We took them over to the Club Cruceros at Marina La Paz and they were able to hitch a ride on a sailboat to Mazatlan. Looks like they'll begin the passage on Tuesday. 4400km down. How many more to the end?

Amy - Ana - Dave in La Paz

Amy_Ana_Dave_Feb20_2008.jpg - 47kB

BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 06:10 PM

Quote:

In the states there is NO bike riding allowed on a highway, mainly for safety reasons.

Not quite accurate Ron. No bike riding on many Interstate highways, but many places where there are no restrictions.

Sallysouth
Super Nomad

Mood: missing Baja...

[*] posted on 2-23-2008 at 09:23 PM

Very brave man indeed.Glad he is safe.I would still, never, recommend this ride to anyone.(JMHO)

Happiness is just a Baja memory away...
Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 2-24-2008 at 01:33 PM

Quote:

CaboRon

Quote:

... I do not wish them luck, I only wish they would get off the highway.

CaboRon

You really are a piece of work aren't ya?

Who is selfish?

Do you realize that many trucks that carry supplies and goods can only go a few miles an hour up a hill as well? Should they be forced to stop their "selfish" behavior and stop bringing you food?

Bike riders selfish? No. Self-powered and self-sufficient is more accurate.

Use some logic and think about "selfish" next time you blunder down the road in your SUV as you spew out smog my grandchildren will be breathing for years to come.

Keep trolling... it really highlights your good side.
:lol:
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-26-2008 at 02:40 PM
Last update.

Dave and Amy boarded the s/v Sweet Dreams this morning and are sailing over to Mazatlan. From now on, they're trip is no longer Baja related. Turns out that Dave is not the best when it comes to updating his site. He never got his update complete while staying here at the house. Even so, you might want to check his site occasionally to see where he is, or was.

Amy_Dave_Greg_Feb26_2008.jpg - 49kB

BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2008 at 05:57 AM
free casa

Hey there,
I meet these guys/girls doing this crazy peddle every year down here in southern Chile. In fact last week I gave a ride to a couple who had walked from Quito to here. :wow:
Tell Dave he has a fre place to stay here in Puerto Natales on his way through (everyone comes through Puerto Natales as its the jumping off point to Torres del Paine National Park) if he needs it. My home # is 410-009 and we are on the border of Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego. Of course he needs to be here in the southern summer (Nov-April) as the rest of the year I will be in Baja!!!

Aq
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2008 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aqbluegreen
Hey there,
I meet these guys/girls doing this crazy peddle every year down here in southern Chile. In fact last week I gave a ride to a couple who had walked from Quito to here. :wow:
Tell Dave he has a fre place to stay here in Puerto Natales on his way through (everyone comes through Puerto Natales as its the jumping off point to Torres del Paine National Park) if he needs it. My home # is 410-009 and we are on the border of Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego. Of course he needs to be here in the southern summer (Nov-April) as the rest of the year I will be in Baja!!!

Aq

Aq - I forwarded your message on to Dave. You can follow his travels on his website.

Steve

chrisx
Banned

Mood: baj nomad is broken

[*] posted on 11-9-2010 at 12:25 PM
slow down

hit the brakes, wait and pass safely.
just as if it was a car
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 10:35 AM

I had so much fun reading theis thread .... holy smokes, some very candid opinions stated brutally. I recently read an article in a Cabo newspaper about how they have cordoned off an aread downtown where families can bike without cars. and there is a big broohaha about how good an idea this is. some like it, some don't like the inconvenience.

go to China to see zillions of cars and zillions of bikes. it is unreal.

I personally got to thinking that Baja and Baja California Sur might consider making a bike lane. great tourism. no carbon footprint. about as eco-friendly as you can get. I will let all the gvt officials who visit us know about this. A journey and/or change starts but with one step. :yes:

Dave's answer to all the chitchat was the most enlightening of all the posts ... I had never heard the biker's perspective and I loved what he wrote.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
I personally got to thinking that Baja and Baja California Sur might consider making a bike lane. great tourism. no carbon footprint. about as eco-friendly as you can get. I will let all the gvt officials who visit us know about this. A journey and/or change starts but with one step. :yes:

A bike-lane would have to be seperate from the car lanes. As it is here, people drive along the shoulder of the road to bypass those who are obeying the laws and rules of order. An attached bike-lane would be nothing but a car lane immediatly.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
A bike-lane would have to be seperate from the car lanes. As it is here, people drive along the shoulder of the road to bypass those who are obeying the laws and rules of order. An attached bike-lane would be nothing but a car lane immediatly.

Ya got that right! One of my biggest problems driving around TJ is that everybody passes on the right if there is room. If it's paved, or even smooth, cars will use it.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.