Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  77
Author: Subject: San Diegan To Hike Baja Peninsula
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by blane
Maybe we can ask Mike to stop for a few days and rest so we don't lose track of him...

Isn't Shari tracking him as well?

Perhaps next time, this can be set up so we all can track him through Nomad. I know less than zero about this stuff.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by blane
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I will likely be unable to post Mike's location for the next 3 days, as we will be out-of-town to be with a family member who is not well.

You have a double negative, so I think that means you CAN do it! :spingrin:

Maybe we can ask Mike to stop for a few days and rest so we don't lose track of him...

Sorry, I was stressed a bit I guess... I will correct the double negative!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 09:04 AM

I am tracking him too but have my plate full with fishermen and baby Izaak!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 12:03 PM

Thanks for the all the work and pictures... really neat to see him and his friends walking along this way... can see in the pictures that he is "hiking".. good tan and his walking boots look pretty good too...

His pals look like they are having a time ..... just great ... thanks again

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 02:02 PM
MAPS of the Journey Revised...

With three weeks of walking down Baja now completed... Here is a fresh look of his route and his nightly GPS location plotted on the AAA map.

I made a change from an earlier version map after closely following the roads between his campsites. The corrected route is between Oct. 6 and 7.

Another slight alternate may be the road past the El Hongo prison (Oct. 3)... I highlighted the paved service road, but Mike may have stayed on Hwy. 2 another 0.9 mile to the graded road south.

The only day a SPOT notice wasn't received by me was Oct. 4.

[Edited on 10-22-2010 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

[Edited on 10-21-2010 by David K]

those pack bags are HUGE! they look heavy. poor don-kay!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 02:17 PM

Bulk doesn't factor into weight. One of those things that liberals have a hard time understanding.:biggrin:
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Bulk doesn't factor into weight. One of those things that liberals have a hard time understanding.:biggrin:

is that how you justify to yourself your expanding waistline?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 11:39 AM

Mikes gps for Oct 22 is same location as Oct 21. posting from my phone...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 05:27 PM
Oct. 23, 2010

Hi amigos, I am still out of town but able to log on and can report the Mike, Don-Kay, and the dogs have again been on the move and tonight are very near Highway 1, on the dirt road from Valle de Trinidad.

I will update the map and post satellite images when I am back home on my PC.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 06:26 PM

wow ... updates via phone .... are we spoiled or what :o:o

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 06:44 PM

yep. wait until the next earthquake to see how "spoiled" people really are!

at least we can use our propane fridge, stove, lantern. plug the freezer into the genny every so often to keep the food frozen. 30 gallons of water in Sparklett's bottles.

this might be a topic for a new thread.....

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 01:00 AM

I drove down on Thursday to bring a few supplies to Mike and see how he was doing with Don Kay. Found him in excellent spirits taking a midday rest with the burro unloaded. He looked in great shape... lost at least 15 lbs, maybe 20 lbs on his Baja backroad diet. Tried to fatten him a little with cold beer and pizza.

And Mike has indeed picked up a new dog! A sweet wolf eyed Australian shepherd mix? Just followed him out of the Sierra Juarez and slept outside his tent every night.

I carried the burro's gear for a couple of miles and scouted out a place to camp.

Found a nice quiet spot and stayed there two nights so Mike could make his decision about sending Max home.

Max and Rusty were best buds and seemed inseperable, so a tough decision for Mike. Both seemed to be getting stronger and fitter every day, enjoying chasing lizards, etc.

Both dogs have been sleeping in his tent for three weeks, with Solo on watch outside.

Anyway, their condition aside, Mike was really worried about the little dogs being hit or run over on the road, so I ended up taking both of them back to San Diego. It was sad to have to take them from Mike. They whined a lot at first but settled to sleep most of the way home dreaming of their great Baja adventure.

And Mike carried on with just Don Kay and Solo, heading to Punta Colonet where Mike has a buried supply stash.

The Spot device.

Don Kay had plenty of carrots and apple treats and a few oats to build him up for the next 1000 miles or so.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 05:05 AM

Graham, Thanks for the pictures. They're very bright and clear! By the way, if his foot gear holds up I'd like to know what brand.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 05:56 AM

that's awesome about the new dog! i'm on the lookout for one myself. the best pets find their owners, not the other way around!

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 07:37 AM

Sheesh,.....not sure why but I shed some tears of happiness seeing Mike and his puppies and that absolutely stunning Don-Kay. I am overwhelmed with emotion for some reason by Mike's quest...so very glad for him to be following his dream. He looks trim!

Thanks so much Graham for your report and dedication to Mike as a friend...I bet he really enjoyed the company and treats. I sure hope we can meet up with him somewhere around here too.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 08:01 AM

Thanks so much.. for the update with pictures...

What a cool trip... really like the Jack Russell licking the other dog.. ours used to do the same to his brother... and the ears on that donkey in that one picture are just just something ... talk about radar...

Great trip ... thanks again to all

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 10:01 AM

Thank you so much Graham!!! Your photos are sure great to add more reality to this adventure. I am in Nevada this weekend, but between my cell phone and a borrowed laptop it is great to follow Mike's adventure! Thanks again and I wish Mike great success... I wish I was able to walk the peninsula, it would be great! Someday maybe?

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 10:52 AM

Many of us will be traveling over the next couple of weeks. Some for the Baja 1000.Others for homes North or South. Is there something special we can bring for Mike along the way. Maybe oats for Don Kay... or replenishment of water?
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 01:35 PM

Mike has been living and breathing this trip for over a year and is very well equipped. He’s even driven most of the road and buried stashes along the way. He’s aware that weight is an issue for Don Kay and he’s seeking to gradually lighten his load. He turned down a couple of cans of beer I offered him “for the road.” So I’m not sure he’d want to take on much.

However, he did say he would love a few large zip-lock plastic bags, a little powdered creamer – preferably French vanilla flavor! And some Crystal Light drink mix – he’s getting tired of the taste of warm water. And I’m sure he wouldn’t say no to water, a little dog food or a can of anything cold for immediate rehydration. Water will be definitely foremost in his mind along the coast south of El Rosario.

He likes a glass of Seagrams 7, but oddly enough, since his trip he has hardly drunk any of his bottle. Most evenings after walking all day and dealing with all the loading and unloading and securing Don Kay and attending to the dogs he’s in his tent writing his journal and ready to sleep by about 7 PM. He’s very conscious when alone of the need to stay alert and ready at a moment’s notice to deal with anything.

His burro is so special, very friendly and trusting, and his new dog Solo is a treasure. The last thing Mike wanted was another dog and when she turned up and followed him, he was hoping it would get bored and leave. He didn’t feed it for two days but she wouldn’t go. In the end he took her in as part of his entourage. Mike became convinced she was sent to be his Guardian Angel, and he has wonderful stories of how Solo has already proved her worth as protector.

I enjoyed my two peaceful nights camping with them all. Brought back happy memories of how much living you can pack into twenty-four hours under God’s heaven, especially in Baja, with a few friendly beasts for company.

Pages:  1  ..  6    8    10  ..  77

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.