Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  78    80    82  ..  116
Author: Subject: Gary Patton - Updated Jan. 5, 2015
Justbozo
Nomad

Mood: Got my little stone hut on the bay

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 02:49 PM

If we stay with the known facts that Gary stayed at Jardines, have a Nomad that spent time with him the night before he left the hotel and did he not exhibit any appearances of stress (medical or other), left the hotel the following morning indicating he was going south and would return in a few days, not a trace of him or his belongings for months, an elderly rancher turns Gary's virtually undisturbed 4 Runner into the Catavina police.

There is not yet a shred of evidence that he was ever in the vicinity that the rancher claims to have found the vehicle.

I am not insinuating anything by anyone.
Medical, foul play, self exile, etc.
These are all questions as well as where he was and where he is.

I just don't understand the intense interest in a concentrated ground search in an area that has not produced any evidence of Gary other than a rancher claims to have come across his vehicle in an area that he patrols on a regular basis after it had been missing but not in that location for months.
Yes the area must be searched for clues.
Yes many questions need to be asked of people in the area and involved with the vehicle.
I don't believe you are going to come away with anymore facts than what are found with the vehicle and those will be mostly confirmations of the contents and that the trail ends the morning he left the hotel.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
Don't you know alcohol dehydrates DENNIS? No one should ever be drinking and doing work out in the hot sun. Could cause an emboli to go the heart or the brain and cause a heart attack or a stroke.

You ignore the AC bar reference...just like everyone here is ignoring the mention of using a Cadaver Dog. They do have them down here.
Something else......diabetics, as well as others with debilitating infirmities, should remove themselves from the lineup.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Justbozo
If we stay with the known facts that Gary stayed at Jardines, have a Nomad that spent time with him the night before he left the hotel and did he not exhibit any appearances of stress (medical or other), left the hotel the following morning indicating he was going south and would return in a few days, not a trace of him or his belongings for months, an elderly rancher turns Gary's virtually undisturbed 4 Runner into the Catavina police.

There is not yet a shred of evidence that he was ever in the vicinity that the rancher claims to have found the vehicle.

I just don't understand the intense interest in a concentrated ground search in an area that has not produced any evidence of Gary other than a rancher claims to have come across his vehicle in an area that he patrols on a regular basis after it had been missing but not in that location for months.
Yes many questions need to be asked of people in the area and involved with the vehicle.
I don't believe you are going to come away with anymore facts than what are found with the vehicle and those will be mostly confirmations of the contents and that the trail ends the morning he left the hotel.

Well I would say the evidence is the 4-Runner was found near the ranch, and therefore it would be the most logical place to conduct a search for Gary at the last known area where the SUV was found.

Granted Gary was not spotted in the area, and somebody else may have been behind the wheel and then got stuck in the sand, but if you're going to put out a search party, this is probably logically the best place to start, all around the perimeter of where the truck was found.

Where would you search Justbozo?
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 03:20 PM

Quote:

Not sure if it was you or someone else here who posted that they are convinced that Gary never left San Quintin alive - that assertion simply doesn't make any sense at all.

Everybody here in the San Quintin valley knows that there is a military checkpoint south of here before descending into El Rosario. They also know that the alternate routes around that to the east and west are heavily patrolled by the military as well. It makes zero sense that a malandro would attack Gary in San Quintin and risk being caught by the military trying to dump the vehicle three hours south when there are numerous remote areas to dump it in the hills to the east of San Quintin?

And on top of that dump the vehicle leaving everything of value intact? That idea makes absolutely no sense either. Whatever the motive - simple robbery or if he happened onto drug runners they still would never have left the truck behind without taking its contents and battery.

The folks involved in running drugs and gasoline out to the pangas here along the coast are not high level, gold chain wearing cartel members. They are mostly out of work fishermen who struggle to keep food on the table. They would never pass up the opportunity to score a digital camera or battery. Their economic situations simply eliminate that possibility.

Gary will be found, dead or alive, between Cataviña, Punta Canoas and Puerto Catarina. I think some of you guys watch too much television...
Justbozo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 03:44 PM

BajaGringo

I haven't owned a TV in years. I prefer the view of the mountains and bay.

Your speculation is based on no more than mine.

Back away from the "criminal foul play" and expand your thoughts.

As an example, with no insinuation implied, only an example, what if he fell in love that morning and something happened to Gary and out of grief the partner would not allow anything touched, scared, had the vehicle dumped. Mind you this is not necessarily as I see it, only an example!

There is not a shred of evidence yet that Gary ever set foot outside San Quitin!

I say beat the bushes around San Quintin.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 03:47 PM

Quote:

Back away from the "criminal foul play" and expand your thoughts.

He already had his thoughts expanded, as well as many of his body parts in the SQ area. He knows the risks of the area only too well.

Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 03:48 PM

I should not have to say this but with advice like "drink ice-water" floating around, I have to say a few things so no one gets hurt.

No one should be doing any searching if it's over 100 unless they are acclimatized to the heat, this takes days.

No one should be doing any searching unless they are healthy and capable of walking for miles and miles.

Some kind of shade structure needs to be set up. COOL water should be consumed, at least a pint an hour. Ice-cold water is a no-no, as is any drink with caffeine or alcohol.

A 10 minute break should be taken around once an hour in the shade of a bush or the shade structure.

Everyone needs to be familiar with heat stress in themselves and others in the party. Here's a link to OSHA on Heat Stress (Good to follow even if you’re not working in the USA for pay): https://www.osha.gov/Publications/osha3154.pdf

Everyone should have a least a quart to half gallon of COOL water with them.

Some kind of systematic transect system should be set up walking parallel transects (north-south, or east west, or paralleling a road), fairly easy to do with a GPS unit; this also allows people to always be 30-50 feet away from other in the transect party, no one should be out alone. Also ensures you cover all areas, and don't look at the same area twice

Some kind of radio communication should be set up if there are multiple teams in different areas.

A “check-in” “check-out” protocol needs to be set up in the field. You don’t want to get back to the hotel, or camp, and realize you left someone out there.

There's more, like boots, long pants, hat, sunscreen, but I can't cover everything in a small post like this.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 04:01 PM

How far is the suspected location where the SUV was found from the ocean?
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 04:12 PM

"Gary will be found, dead or alive, between Cataviña, Punta Canoas and Puerto Catarina. I think some of you guys watch too much television..."

A sound assessment, I think. When the evidence from the car and cameras is made public it should be possible to run some likely scenarios. I can't imagine that guys with any level of cartel involvement would want to bring down the heat that would be guaranteed by offing a tourist along their "gasoline" supply route? Though, admittedly, no heat came for 7-8 months if, in fact, foul play was involved.

I'm more inclined to think that some poor desert survival decisions, maybe bad luck, resulted in his not reaching help. In survival school we were always taught to hunker down in the heat of the day and walk at night. How many flashlights will be found in the car? Did he take them all with him? And, what might it mean if he didn't leave with a flashlight?

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Justbozo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 04:22 PM

Well, BajaGringo it sounds like DENNIS has nominated you to beat the bushes around San Quintin as being the most knowledgeable.

Let us know what you find from all your contacts!
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 04:44 PM

Bozo I love your ideas. I think it will do a lot of good investigating San Quintin. As far as Ice water, in 100 degree temperature it will turn tepid within hours if not minutes, in fact starting out with a frozen bottle of water it will melt rapidly and get to the cool water you want. I think we need to stop making sarcastic references to body parts, etc. this is not a joke. Bozo the first part of this post is directed to you, not the whole post.
Quote:
Well, BajaGringo it sounds like DENNIS has nominated you to beat the bushes around San Quintin as being the most knowledgeable.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
I think we need to stop making sarcastic references to body parts, etc. this is not a joke.

And, you were appointed director of conversation here by whom?

EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 04:50 PM

Anyone over 40 in those conditions are targets for a stroke or heart attack, most people by the age of 20 have some hardening of the arteries and even though they don't show symptoms put under sweltering heat conditions can cause catastrophes.
Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Don't you know alcohol dehydrates DENNIS? No one should ever be drinking and doing work out in the hot sun. Could cause an emboli to go the heart or the brain and cause a heart attack or a stroke.

You ignore the AC bar reference...just like everyone here is ignoring the mention of using a Cadaver Dog. They do have them down here.
Something else......diabetics, as well as others with debilitating infirmities, should remove themselves from the lineup.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 05:00 PM

Quote:

No nomination from me. Only a recollection.

I'm sure you know about that which I speak, but if not, here's some bathroom reading for you:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=55094#pid6665...

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 06:54 PM

It is good to prepare for heat but I have been in that area in mid-summer and it was cold and cloudy...the ocean influence goes quite a distance inland sometimes so you might just get nice weather. Bring a sweathshirt, just in case. Much different than say, Catavina, which usually bakes.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 07:06 PM

^^^yep!^^^

that's why I doubt Gary succumbed to heat!

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
^^^yep!^^^

that's why I doubt Gary succumbed to heat!

Was down in the area in 2004 in July...surf was flat and we were freezing our arses off---we decided we'd rather suffer heat prostration then hypothermia so we headed over to Bay of LA!
Justbozo
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 08:38 PM

JoeJustJoe

I agree with a search in the area of the 4 Runner but the conversation has been such that it was almost a forgone conclusion that he had to be there because the 4 Runner was. It seems the anticipation level is running far too high.

It is all good that the area be well combed. You never know what people may know but not divulge without them being asked.
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
It is good to prepare for heat but I have been in that area in mid-summer and it was cold and cloudy...the ocean influence goes quite a distance inland sometimes so you might just get nice weather. Bring a sweathshirt, just in case. Much different than say, Catavina, which usually bakes.

Correcto Mexitron. We are talking 10 miles or less from the coast. Big difference from Catavina.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-14-2014 at 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron

That's EXACTLY why I was asking about the distance from the coast. That area is not hot.

Another assumption by the good doc that is FALSE. Several of them in this thread already.
 Pages:  1  ..  78    80    82  ..  116

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.