BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Enough interest for a "Baja Living" or "Baja Home" subtopic?
latitude26n
Banned

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 01:55 PM
Enough interest for a "Baja Living" or "Baja Home" subtopic?

I hate to clutter the general Q&A subject with our:
Building materials resources(?)
Good source for flagstone(?)
Best notario (?)
Federal zone concession (?)
Appliance stores (?)
type questions, but the Lat.26's would find this type of information invaluable both now, as we're trying to have something built long-distance, and in the future as resident/property owners/Baja dwellers. We've learned some what-not-to-dos over the years and have a few good referrals that we'd be happy to share too.

Would a "Baja Living" subtopic, (a place for attorney referrals, legal, tax and fideio. questions for example, in addition to building and construction exchange) warrant enough interest, or be appropriate in this Travel-oriented forum?
I think it would be a wonderful thing.
thanks, Latitude26n

[Edited on 4-21-2005 by latitude26n]
jide
Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 4-19-2005 at 02:48 PM

I would love to hear more about this subject... even though I unfortunately can't contribute much with info ...
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 02:51 PM

YES!! I would be so interested. We are just starting our new project and I would love to get feedback from the pro's on the Nomad board!
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 4-19-2005 at 03:03 PM

Yes, as someone that is looking to build a place of my own on the Baja, I also would be interested in such a subtopic.

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 05:18 PM

Excellent idea!

Price
Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 4-22-2005 at 02:35 AM
Baja Living

We think it would be GREAT !!! We have several projects going at "the house" This topic would be a great help to us & I am sure many others !;D:yes::D
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-22-2005 at 06:46 AM

I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in this topic.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 4-22-2005 at 01:29 PM

Yes. Yes Good Idea. Would really help to know the source of things available in La Paz or Constution. Lumber, Hardware etc.

Richard on the hill

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2005 at 03:43 PM

I would like this a lot. I tend to think I'll be doing some type of low key construction down there the rest of my life. Right now my big decision is to put in an underground or above ground pila..... definite advantages to both. I have very limited space so I have been pondering this for quite some time.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2005 at 09:51 AM

Pac O Underground for sur with plastic tank, In La Paz Tanks available to 10,000 liters.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2005 at 12:14 PM

Do you use a submersible pump or one that is outside the tank discharge? Also, do you install the tank and then pour concrete around it for structural integrity?
There is a learning curve here, that's for sure.

comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2005 at 12:56 PM

In ref. to underground tanks most people here are building block wall around tank, and using above ground pump w/ one way valves, my system has one ways valve and strainer on pickup I also added one way valve at pump I never have to prime. Note I was the first one in our area to put in the plastic tanks and the instructions said to backfill w/a mix of dirt and cal. I backfilled with just dirt then watered to campact, I collapsed the tank had to take it out and build wall.

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2005 at 01:34 PM

I like this idea, it has my vote.
latitude26n
Banned

[*] posted on 4-23-2005 at 02:11 PM
Water Tank

We are in the process of designing the initial phase on our new property and have been working on a cost effective, yet long-term solution to water storage. We will require water delivery and will be dividing our time between BCS and our place down South so we may be absent for 5 months at a time and had to devise a way to have water delivered to replenish irrigation without requiring access to areas where expensive equipment will be kept. This is what we came up with:

We designed a below-ground (12,000 gallon) water tank that will be made of block/cement. It?s 4 ft deep (any deeper hits lava rock), 8 ft wide (this width should reduce the number of cement castillos needed in the ceiling) and the concrete lid forms the walkway that we wanted around the garage/workshop anyway. The tank extends 27 ft. along the back side of the garage and wraps around the corner another 15ft or so, forming an ?L? shape that shares footings with the garage.

We decided against a free-standing, above grade tank because of cost. This will be all new construction and we want to share some footings that we'll need anyway.

The future Utility room (8.5? x 8.5?) will be attached to the garage and it sits on top of one end of the tank. It will house the solar, water pumping/pressure tank and irrigation systems. It will also have a 3 foot high raised ?bench? that will have a well-sealing, large hatch- cover for access to clean and observe the water tank below. We made the tank access above the floor so there would be a safety zone of air to prevent overflow in to this room with the batteries etc. We did not want the water tank access outside in our dusty,dirty location. Have you ever looked down in to some folk?s water tanks?? It?s not for the weak of stomach.

The tank fill spout is up at the front of the garage for easy access by the ?Water Delivery truck? and the pipe is sloped down towards the tank. Actually there?s no such thing as a water delivery truck yet, but one hurdle at a time.
The fill spout is housed in its own block cabinet with a door out of the wind, and theoretically the dirt, and has a tank overflow prevention configuration which will cause about 50 gallons to come out a spout down by the feet of the ?Water Tank Delivery Man?, before it begins to before it fills up the floor of the utility room. There is a 2nd safety feature of the air-gap provided by the access hatch mentioned above.

We plan to seal the outside walls of the tank with a cementations product that worked well on our former roof deck, and the inside with a product called Crystalock, which is a liquid, paint or spray-on product that?s specifically for water storage cisterns and reservoirs and is supposed to prevent the leaching of minerals in to the water and the eventual breakdown of the cement which can eventually expose the rebar in the tank.

Our plans are currently at our Mexican architect who is putting together the info to give to the Geo-Biology ?consultants? that he?s using to obtain our ""Environmental Impact Study" which is required because we abut the Federal Zone. (A roll of Tums is required for that story). All of that will be submitted to Semarnat and when we have the correct stamps, the architect can submit the plans for the local building permits.

We?re looking at another Mexican month before we can start construction and will see if our water tank idea will actually work!

I started this thread about a separate ?Baja Living? subject because we?ve spent the past 6 months trying to gather information about things such as water tanks without a lot of success. Hopefully there will be enough interest.
PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-23-2005 at 02:46 PM

Yeah, I am leaning toward underground and backfilled with concrete and rock to prevent a collapse. Of course the tank will be full when I backfill it! I have a pretty small lot so I have to utilize space efficiently.

latitude26n
Banned

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 02:46 AM
"Baja Living" subtopic

Doug says he's been following this thread but has been very busy.

Stand by...
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 05:30 AM
Backfilling

If you backfill with the tank full, won't it just collapse at a later date when it isn't full?, like during/after a storm?

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
latitude26n
Banned

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 10:35 AM

Not sure I understood PacO's design idea, but ours will be block with concrete "traves and castillos" (beams and columns). We're leaving the footings and other support specs up to the Architecto/ingeniero.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 10:51 AM

Saw your questions. I to have alot of questions on land building etc. Where are you building. Hendu
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 02:29 PM

Help me out here....

What should the name of the forum be... and what should be the description?

Thanks,
--
Doug

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.