BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Black Jackrabbits, Fish-eating bats, and Rattleless Rattlesnakes
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 08:35 PM
Black Jackrabbits, Fish-eating bats, and Rattleless Rattlesnakes

OK,

I'm reading the 1972 edition of Time-Life Books 'Baja California' and in chapter four the author discusses black jackrabbits, fish-eating bats, and rattle-less rattlesnakes.

From my ecology training I can accept that these creatures can really exist, but with all the travel discussed on this board how come we never hear about such things?

Have any Nomads seen first hand black jackrabbits, fish-eating bats, and rattle-less rattlesnakes?

What other strange creatures have you seen in Baja?

gringorio
:bounce:

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 08:41 PM

yes

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 09:17 PM

The legend goes that rattleless rattlers live on Isla La Guardia ........my favorite other worldly critter in Baja are the giant moths the size of a small bat--they usually flutter around at night.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 09:51 PM

It was more than a legend or rumor as I read it in several books and have seen pictures of them. And I thought it was on a single island but further south and smaller than Angel de la Guarda. But the rattleless rattlesnake is, I believe, a fact on an island, a single island in the Sea of Cortez.

As for the moths the size of bats I have seen them many times. When Mary Ann and Miguelito and Kevin and I lived north or La Gringa across the summer of 1985 these large, hand-palm sized silent filers were attracted to our kerosene lanterns after dusk. You could never hear them but they always startled you because of the width of their wings. They would slip through a door or window and were attracted to the dim lamps burning behind us in out tiny bamboo "library" and their shadow would be alarming, like a huge wild animal lurking somewhere in the hidden corners where we couldn't see him, just waiting to disembowel us. We'd shout and jump up to protect the boys, sleeping in their cots, awakening them, only to see the worlds most gentle creatures silently and delicately flitting around a lit mantle while casting dancing shadows around our bamboo walls.

It was always easy for the boys to go back to sleep and for me to slow the pumping adrenaline. They'd just read a bit and I'd pour a rum and Coke while Mary Ann read and we'd all settle in with the tugging of the lapping small waves of Las Cuevitas ringing in our ears and soon be fast asleep.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 11:01 PM
tarantulas

Since we're on the subject of creatures that make your flesh crawl I would like to talk about the tarantula.

I had seen about 2 of them up until that early october day in 1983. We were driving through the portion of the desert around Catavina when we first noticed the first one lumbering across the highway. We pulled over, got down on our bellies, and watched it's slow robotic movements as it crossed the road. Back in those days, a tarantula could cross the road before another car even appeared on the horizon.

We eventually moved on and started to see them everywhere. They became so familiar that we could spot a dark shape from a distance and recognize it as a tarantula. Each sighting was of a solitary individual. They were never in a group. Altogether, we must have seen about 25-30 tarantulas over an area of maybe 100 miles of road.

Since that peculiar day I have seen 3 tarantulas in the last 32 years. One in Milpitas, CA, one in Loreto, and one in Guatemala.

I know they're fairly common, but to us this was a special day. That's what's great about the peninsula - it seems that every day has something special to offer.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 11:26 PM
Santa Catarina Island Rattleless Rattlesnake

From a book that should be in every Baja bound vehicle: Amphibians and Reptiles of Baja California by Ron H. McPeak c2000...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 11:45 PM

We lived in Livermore, CA for years, and the Tarantulas would trek around the hills to the south in the Fall, as I remember, looking for other Chick-Tarantulas to hang out with (wink-wink)...they look mean, with those big fangs, but really don't bother you if you just let em' crawl around...My father-in-law HATES spiders, and, well you know where I'm going here...we got his heart to pumping real good one day by 'planting' one of these roving critters on the back on his easy chair at home...for some reason, we haven't been on the best of speaking terms since then...

I was watching a 'Deep Jungle' TV program a few nights ago where they showed videos of Fish-eating Bats...in Indonesia or Madagascar - don't recall which. Anyway, these were some BIG bats! They had huge claws (Talons?)- like an Eagle's - and would swoop down on the water, and 'troll' with those claws piercing the surface till they snagged a fish, or ran out of cruising room! It was quite a sight - would really hate to have one of those critters come cruising along my body as I slept on a cot on the beach!

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2005 at 11:54 PM

As a So Cal boy in the early '60's I was stationed at Camp Pendleton. In the early part of my tour I was closest to San Clemente and spent time there. I'd go directly to I-5 and north toward home from there for weekends when I could.

After my return from the far east in '64 I was reassigned to the Base Brig in G-2 out of Oceanside. In driving home to La Crescenta on free weekends I often took the Pendleton road into San Clemente from Oceanside and then the I-5 north toward home.

When I got off duty in Oceanside about sunset and headed north there were many tarantulas. Often, driving south on evenings they were there too, on the roadway. By the hundreds.

Eventually I noticed that in the mornings they climbed down from the hillsides of Pendleton toward the slow flowing creeks there. In the evenings they worked back up the hillsides to wherever they lived.

In those days I was driving an MG midget, a tiny convertible where I could drop my hand out the window and touch the ground. I then thought that the tarantula was deadly and could envision them all jumping into my MG and attacking me. Like they were orchestrated or something.

On my first trip into the central Baja desert in 1968ish, I was hitchhiking with a fellow I met driving a fruit delivery truck. The road was of course dirt and there was a hurricane that came across the central desert that year and we were stuck with several other vehicles at a remote desert ranch south of Guerrero Negro on a side route. When the storm struck and the rain started to fill the small places, the land animals came out and climbed the nearest branch or bush to save themselves.

I was told they were deadly by my suspicious remote desert dweller-friends. I didn't know. But when I went to step on a tarantula I was stopped physically and told that if I got tarantula "stuff" on my boots and then removed my boots manually, that the flesh would fall from my hands.

Later, so many years later, I learned that the beasts are quite passive.

When I look back at this long past moment I can only wonder what made my newfound friends so afraid. Was there any history to flesh falling from human hands based on stepping on tarantulas? Was it a myth and if so, just what is a myth made of?

Or was it a mindset that many of us have that supports the need of a being larger than us?

While I'm not a member of a "church" I do believe that there certainly are "beasts" on this Earth that are more powerful than me. It's hard to watch a powerful event, a sunrise or sunset, or watch the universe in action on a quiet moonless evening in Baja or anywhere and believe in some form of a more powerful being.

Is this all just a coincidence? Perhaps. But that's hard for me to believe.

I read recently in Newsweek about an evolving concept where the two philosophies of God and science have found (an uncompromising) way to see through the hype.

That'd be nice.

[Edited on 4-21-2005 by Mike Humfreville]
gringorio
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 06:12 AM
spidy

These hairy spiders are cool to look at and take photos of, like this one, but they still give me the creeps. One of our party let the tarantula crawl over her hand. :o

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Since we're on the subject of creatures that make your flesh crawl I would like to talk about the tarantula.

I had seen about 2 of them up until that early october day in 1983. We were driving through the portion of the desert around Catavina when we first noticed the first one lumbering across the highway. We pulled over, got down on our bellies, and watched it's slow robotic movements as it crossed the road. Back in those days, a tarantula could cross the road before another car even appeared on the horizon.

We eventually moved on and started to see them everywhere. They became so familiar that we could spot a dark shape from a distance and recognize it as a tarantula. Each sighting was of a solitary individual. They were never in a group. Altogether, we must have seen about 25-30 tarantulas over an area of maybe 100 miles of road.

Since that peculiar day I have seen 3 tarantulas in the last 32 years. One in Milpitas, CA, one in Loreto, and one in Guatemala.

I know they're fairly common, but to us this was a special day. That's what's great about the peninsula - it seems that every day has something special to offer.

in October every year they have there annual migration.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 06:38 AM

In Bahia they call those large moths "wine moths"

Last summer I had one visit me nightly for about a week (when it realized I wouldn't share it stopped coming) Kind of freaked me out the first time it landed on my shoulder......really sent my 5yrs. old g-daughter into orbit!

And before you say anything about my being stingy with my wine MIKE....I thought about it and decided that I didn't want my kids to see a DEAD drunk moth (I can hear the "GRANNNNNN MAAAAAA you KILLED IT!" and just see her at "show and tell" Payton: "Look everybody, here's the moth that my GRANNNNN MAAAAA killed by feeding it wine" UGH! Not a good picture. :o
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 06:57 AM

Another critter that I just recently started seeing in Baja is the Badger--had no idea they were there all these years. Indian mythology has the Coyote and Badger as good friends: apparently when they're both looking for a meal the Coyote will guard the entrance to a rabbit hole while the badger starts digging into the rear exit of the rabbit den......its a crapshoot who gets the prize.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 07:15 AM

About 8 years ago, we saw a badger about 3 miles off H 5 at K165. This is a very dry area so how they survive is a mystery to me. I don't think they have the range of coyotes.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Jack Swords
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 07:34 AM
Tarantulas walking around

Mexray is right...these tarantulas walking around in the fall are males, usually about 12 years old and end-of-life. They are looking for females for a last fling. Females usually remain in their burrows (and can live 25 years). Males are larger and have "claspers" or hooks on their front legs to hold the female should she be unwilling. Teaching science for 30 years, I always had several in the classroom for kids to hold to get them to overcome their fear of spiders. While we saw many half-inch fangs open out, never had anyone bitten. Fearful kids all eventually ended up letting them walk on their hands. As a mentor science teacher I did the same with Kindergarten up to 6th graders to allay fears of spiders. One caution however...tarantulas frequently use their back legs to scrape hairs off their abdomen (you see many with bald abdomens) to let a curious mammal sniff in the hairs. The abdominal hairs have tiny barbs on their basal end and are quite irritating. After handling a tarantula for a while, some experience itching/irritation on the sensitive underside of their forearms. It is a minor, short term thing. So they are gentle creatures that go about their lives presenting no danger to anyone as long as you don't sniff their hind end.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 07:40 AM

Down south here we have lots of snakes. Millions of harmless coachwhips. I've caught and released some lyre snakes (venomous, rear fangs) and small night snakes which have venomous toxin in their saliva -- neither snake is much danger to man. We have lots of horned lizards (Horney Toads) which the Mexicans kill -- rumor has it that the blood (which they exude from their eyes) is poisonous and if one is seen in the vacinity of a nursing Mexican woman, she will have no breast milk. Factoid -- skunks are attracted to the sound of human breathing. In all of Mexico rabid skunks drawn to the breath of those sleeping on the ground kill, each year, more people than all snakes.
capn.sharky
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 08:47 AM

That would be isla Catalana for the rattleless rattlesnakes. It is outside Isla Carmen just out of Loreto and Puerto Escondido.

If there is no fishing in heaven, I am not going
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

smile.gif posted on 4-21-2005 at 08:55 AM
First one we'd seen in a decade in San Nicolas

Without a doubt the prettiest spider in Baja, unless your are REALLY into arachnids. As a Real Estate Inspector, crawling under houses for a living, I wish they were ALL tarantulas!

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
latitude26n
Banned

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 09:10 AM

Tarantulas

About 20 years ago we were mid-way between La Paz and Todos Santos around dusk, and noticed that a large stretch of asphalt was moving up ahead of us.

Ever been to an estuary at low tide that's so full of crabs that the
ground seems to swarm and move?

Same effect, but this time it was tarantulas-thousands! A solid mass of them marching from one side of the cardon forest, across the road to the other side, and visible for about a quarter of a mile up the road. By the time we realized what it was, the crunching had already started and we just powered thru them chanting "please don't break down,please".

We've never seen anything to this extent again but in certain years, in Sept and Oct. (as Bruce mentioned) right around dusk, we'll have individuals begin to march from the bottom of our lot and end up collecting on our patio (where they perfectly match the rock pavers, thank you!) because the retaining wall we built seems to block some instinctive migration route. During this season we keep a plastic cookie tub handy, called "The Relocator" which we use to gently scoop them up, over the wall and take them out to the desert on the other side of us. It's the least we can do for the carnage we caused years ago.
GeoRock
Nomad

Mood: Always have one

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 10:26 AM

At the previous two booksigning events, I gave a quiz which included a few questions about these unusual creatures.

http://reinventmyself.isagenix.com
For rapid weight loss; building of lean muscle for athletes; and overall improved health through nutritional cleansing.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 11:27 AM
BADGERS?

WE DOAN NEED NO STEENKIN BADGERS!

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

Oh, about this bit from Jack Swords:

"So they are gentle creatures that go about their lives presenting no danger to anyone as long as you don't sniff their hind end."

I guess you could say the same thing about me. Heh.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.