BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: My Baja trip
uk barbara (2)

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 02:50 AM
My Baja trip

Our 2 week trip to Baja followed a week driving around SW USA where the obvious highlight was my flight in a helicopter at the Grand Canyon. We had snow there but the truly awesome spectacle of that place will stay with me.

We ended up in San Diego where we managed to rent a car from Galaxy-very helpful & reasonable price. Unfortunately our budget didn't run to more than a mid-size saloon (do you use that term?) - anyway that was a real shame because we were constantly worried about damaging the underside and couldn't go off the main road. Even that road gave us some scary moments.

It was a big culture shock for suburban Londoners with very littel Spanish especially after the first 100 miles into Baja. My husband has driven all over the place - Rome in the rush hour, all over the US - but he found the concentration necessary to keep the car safe on the road quite tough at first.

We spent the 1st night at La Pinta in San Quintin. I think we were pretty much the only guests there. What an amazing beach. We walked for miles without seeing a soul. Heaven.

The 2nd night, we spent in La Pinta in Guerrero Negro not the most attractive place -sadly Malarrimo was booked that night but we got in there the next night. I was very excited about my first whale trip and completely unsure how I'd react to it. Somehow, once I was in the boat my nerves disappeared and it was probably the most amazing thing I've ever done, even though my camera ran out of film before the whales came right up to the boat - I nearly cried. I went straight back to Malarrimo & booked a 2nd trip & accommodation for a week later and bought more film.

After all the warnings about being careful with locking cars and so on, my husband left the keys in the lock of the trunk while we walked to the supermarket in G.N . When we realised what he'd done and after an extremely nerve-wracking 10 minutes as we ran back - the car was as we left it and untouched. Worrying about the underside of the car was nothing - this could have been everything we had including the car gone.

We then spent a lovely, much warmer week in Mulege. We came across a small, clean hotel/motel (Cuesta Real) near La Serenidad and had some beautiful walks along the beach and around the town & the Mission. That was a relaxing time and at least I got some suntan to bring back to UK. Three cheers to the woman who stays there and who rescues dogs and tries to rehome them.

We visited picturesque San Ignacio on our way back to Guerrero Negro . Everwhere we went in Baja the people were so friendly and polite and seemed so surprised when they heard we came from England. We didn't meet any other English people the whole time there.

My second whale trip was just even better than the first - no nerves, plenty of sunshine , getting to touch mother and baby , and photos to remind me too this time! As soon as I stepped off the boat I couldn't believe what had actually occurred. I have read the debate on your forum about the ethics of this practice and feel very torn. I do feel guilty about any possible risk this practice might cause, but hope the respect for those wonderful creatures can spread and grow as a result of esperiencing such unique mutual trust in that place. I'm trying to forgive myself!

We started back towards San Diego, but enjoyed a night at Catavina and again marvelled at the scenery along the whole road. This time, after the rain, my photos were full of colour from the flowers and greenery.

I was so, so sad to leave Baja. I desperately hope we can come back one day - Lottery win permitting! - and maybe we can get to rent one of those fabulous 5th wheel vehicles which would let us explore a bit more the wonders of that special place. I feel quite emotional writing this - I'll just have to keep sneaking off into the Nomad website when I have a minute.
Thanks again for your help and for sharing your expertise.
Barbara
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-21-2005 at 07:36 AM

Wonderful Barbara! Thank you for sharing!!!

Now, you will really enjoy reading about a fellow countryman of yours and how Baja totally changed him... Graham Mackintosh. Graham was a teacher in London and encouaraged his students to have an adventure. With almost no money he set out to do what no one had done before... walk the coastline of Baja California... nearly 3,000 miles.

Read 'Into a Desert Place'... followed by 'Journey with a Baja Burro' and 'Nearer My DOG to Thee' all available at http://grahammackintosh.com

There are some short stories in his web site to read as well...

Thanks again for sharing your story! A 'saloon' is (I believe) called a station wagon over here in the colonies...

[Edited on 4-21-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

uk barbara (2)

[*] posted on 4-22-2005 at 12:44 AM

Thanks David.
Divided by a language! I think I wish it were a station wagon - perhaps the car was a sedan - it was a Toyota Leganza. No matter - it was not a good option for adventures in Baja.

How interesting about Graham Mackintosh. I think I'd seen his name in a couple off Q & A postings before I came to Baja. Was it long ago that he did his trip? Did he stay in Baja? I will look on the website asap.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-22-2005 at 01:12 AM

To be near Baja, he immigrated to America, married an American nurse, and lives very near the border in San Diego... Became an American citizen this past year...

His first Baja trip was in the early 1980's.

He had a part in the movie Titanic (his red hair stands out), which was filmed in Baja.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-22-2005 at 08:23 AM
baja burro

baja burro was probably one of the best reads i have ever gotten my hands on...if youre going thru baja withdrawals this book will help alot...the way he describes some of those out of the way spots is just amazing....Hey David,can you reccomend any other baja books?

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.