Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Mexican Grits
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 09:17 AM
Mexican Grits

Some of you may not like grits but try this and you may start liking them.

Pour 1 cup (8oz) water in a small pan and heat to a boil. add a little salt and pepper.
dice up 1/4 cup of onion and 1/4 cup of bell peppers. Add a little hot pepper too if desired. pour this into the water. Add 3 table spoons of your favorite salsa, I like the chuncky style. Add 3 heaping tablespoons of quick grits and stir everything while it comes to a boil. Cover and remove from the heat and let it set for at least 3 or 4 minutes. Remove cover and stir again and eat.

Albertson has diced peppers and onions in the cooler area near the ready made salad stuff. They also have what's called Pico De Gallo which is onions and tomatoes and it has something hot in it probably hot peppers.

Another good grit dish is grits and tomatoes. Same as above for the water, salt, pepper and grits. This time add diced tomates. I usually used the can type. For one cup of water, a half can of tomatoes will do.

Enjoy
Stephanie Jackter
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 10:21 AM
Where the heck did you get that recipie???

Don't you know, nobody in California eats grits? I bet you have to go to the World Market to even buy them out there! (I'm from the south, so I can chuckle if I want). It definitely sounds worth a try, though. - Stephanie
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 11:55 AM

Quaker instant grits are available at Albertson and Von in the cereal section.
Having lived in the south during the 60's I came to love grits. The tomatoes and grits was a favorite of my grandparents.
The Mexican recipe is one I came up with using salsa instead of tomatoes. Adding cooked beacon or sausage is even better.
Juan
Junior Nomad

Mood: Life is good.

[*] posted on 9-21-2003 at 07:52 AM
grits

Sorry I have to expose my ignorance but exactly what is "grits"? I suspect it is a vegetable product from reading the posts but what is it made of?

Thanks in advance, Juan
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-21-2003 at 08:20 AM

They are a cooked cereal made of hominy (the same bean that's in pozole- can't think of the name in spanish), that when cooked has a consistency a little bit like mashed potatoes with sand in them. A lot of people don't care for them right off because they are "gritty", but they're quite tasty with a little butter and pepper and probably even better in this recipie, which adds a lot of flavor.- Stephanie
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 02:34 PM

Hominy is hulled corn, typically made by treating dried corn with a lye or baking soda solution that puffs it up and allows removal of the hull. It's also used in menudo (the soup, not the band). Grits is the ground up version of hominy, cooked in water or other liquid until it becomes a thick cereal, somewhere between polenta (cooked corn meal) and cream of wheat in consistency. I like it simple with a pool of melted butter in the middle.
Baja Red
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 10:33 AM
GRITS

My Dad was born in Georgia and my Mom is from Florida....I was raised on grits. I live in Ca. I usually put bacon or sausage, butter, salt and pepper. I am going to try your recipe even though I like grits with the above ingredients. Thanks for the recipe. :spingrin:
Jim

[*] posted on 9-23-2003 at 11:57 AM

TW, sounds like a good recipe.
Our location is Central Coast of California.
We eat grits frequently and often substitute them where polenta is called for (less expensive) and our local markets (three locally-owned, plus Albertson's) all carry grits (and if you are reallyfrom the south, that's two syllables, gree-uts). The locally-owned mks even have different grinds, i.e. coarse, fine, and medium.
Baja Red
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2003 at 08:50 AM
Fresh Albacore

Does anyone have any kick-*** recipes for albacore? Something out of the usual... seared with butter and garlic. :coolup:

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.