Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Marty
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-20-2003 at 08:26 PM
Marty

Marty is an hurricane that will strike Baja with wind and rain but it is not a powerful and dangerous one. www.nhc.noaa.gov

Buy candles, a jug of water and some food
Possibly everything will be over in one day.
For sure it will bring more rain than three weeks ago Ignacio. Expect the road to be closed probably for five-six days. Los Cabos Airport probably will be closed from Sunday afternoon and Monday morning. La Paz airport probably Monday.
La PAz at 9pm Saturday is clear sky. The weather today has not been particurarly hot and could be a good sign of hurricane possible weakening before reaching the area.
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 9-21-2003 at 07:19 AM

Aldo, your reports are really appreciated. Please keep them up, as lots of us have loved ones "down there" and we are "up here". THANKS :yes:
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 9-21-2003 at 09:54 AM

Expect the ?Marty show? has just begun. As of Sunday, 10:30 a.m., Los Barriles time, we have gentle rains, not much wave activity, boats pulled in. Hatches buttoned down just in case. Not much wind, just the lightest breeze in the moment. Nothing left to do for now except to enjoy the moment.
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2003 at 10:18 AM
Jimmy etc.

Eli, I am headed down to your area around the first of Oct. and I have spoken briefly with your Dad about Bamboo at the booksigning. I am looking for large diameter bamboo plants to buy and plant down there at a friends house.. I was hoping to talk to Jimmy when I get down there about finding some as he says he knows where to get it.
Also, if there is anything I can do to help with his return to Los Barriles or bring anything down for you guys, let me know. My email is jrbaja@hotmail.com
Sincerely J.R.
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2003 at 01:52 PM

J.R., Thanks for the offer to bring something down for the family. Course, all we want about now is Don Jimmy returned safe and sound to us, and that is not in your, nor my capacity to make happen. But still, there is hope that we will all be sitting on his front porch talking Bamboo together by the time you make it down here. Now, wouldn?t that be something nice, I hope, I hope.

Meanwhile, tis Sunday, 2:30 p.m., L,B, time. Still, kind & gentle on the rain, the arroyo is still crossable in my neighborhood. So far, so good.
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2003 at 11:29 PM

Well, shoot oh dear, just sitting here reflecting on the moment that I wrote that last note before Marty came in with a bit of a mean bite, and munched it's way up our beloved peninsula. My, my, my, I sure was cavalier going in on that one.

Must admit that we were most fortunate, there was no damage to life nor limb of those I Love. A bit of a mess to clean up, we have no water or electric, sigh, a return to the 19th century for a short span of time is all I had to deal with.

Still, be that as it may, I took advantage of the situation and utilized present day tech. to fly out of Dodge and go visit the Ol Man up here en El Otro Lado for a few days.

Marty was not a spectacular storm to watch from my home, all we could do was listen and imagine what was coming down, it was pitch dark early dawn when it passed thru my neck of the woods. Nope, not nearly the fun that Ignacio provided, sigh.

Still, I must concur with those that expound its benevolence, for it did bring rain and surly has cleared the way for new growth.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-28-2003 at 11:53 PM
Marty

Of the two storms you have lived through this season, the forecasters called beforehand the first to be the worst. But in reading all your reports it was Marty that beat everything to death. Is there anything you can add here to help weather forecasters improve their science?
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2003 at 09:17 AM

Mike, So good to make contact with you again.

Boy howdy, as to your question; I certainly cannot fault those that track the storms, their capacity is way beyond mine. Still, when it comes to a chubasco; What I can suggest is never assume that anyone knows what is going to happen and just button down the best you can. Much better to feel dumb for putting up those storm windows when everyone sez there aint going to be a problem, and there wasn't, than feel really dumb cause you didn't prepare. Anyway, so sez she that more than once in her life, has left her clothes on the line and wound up the next day pulling them out of the neighbors trees :tumble:

[Edited on 9-29-2003 by Eli]

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.