Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Who did what in Baja and When
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 06:50 AM

so dose this mean our fames Baja fish tacos may have originated from Mongoloid people? this would explain allot of things.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 07:54 AM

There's quite a story behind this guy... and his father!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 08:01 AM

Here is where Sr. Daggett rests, today. Another interesting Baja person is Jesus Flores, pictured here...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 08:07 AM

Here was Jesus, over 40 years ago... in Erle Stanley Gardner's 'The Hidden Heart of Baja'...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 08:15 AM

Here is Jesus autographing his photo in my copy of Gardner's book (in 2002, near Camp Gecko), on the same mode of transportation he has used most his life, I suspect! Jesus told me he was born in Calmalli (near El Arco), and his ranch south of L.A. Bay is Los Paredones... I hired him as a guide to help us find the 'lost mission' site... It is still lost... as is Jesus' Spanish mine that Erle wrote about, that Jesus offered to sell a map of, to Erle...:o

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 08:39 AM

Uh..that's very interesting, David. I'm not sure how those fellows fit in with early Baja settlement by Asians via a land bridge or by boat from Australia, but what the hell..I guess it's all about Baja in the end.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Here is Jesus autographing his photo in my copy of Gardner's book (in 2002, near Camp Gecko), on the same mode of transportation he has used most his life, I suspect! Jesus told me he was born in Calmalli (near El Arco), and his ranch south of L.A. Bay is Los Paredones... I hired him as a guide to help us find the 'lost mission' site... It is still lost... as is Jesus' Spanish mine that Erle wrote about, that Jesus offered to sell a map of, to Erle...:o

is he looking for work?:lol:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 08:52 AM

Good grief, I give up.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Uh..that's very interesting, David. I'm not sure how those fellows fit in with early Baja settlement by Asians via a land bridge or by boat from Australia, but what the hell..I guess it's all about Baja in the end.

Well Pompano, I just looked at the title of the thread: 'Who did what in Baja and When' and figured Dick Daggett (Sr. and Jr.) and Jesus Flores where interesting Baja people for Bernie's inquisitive post. Maybe 'Prehistoric or ancient man in Baja' would have been a more specific thread title, if that was the limitation...?

Bummer you didn't make the Pyramid event... next time you are in the area, let's get together... Mi Casa es su casa... Baja maps, books, satellite images, El Camote's films and Bajo California movie... Just ask TheSquarecircle, BajaCactus, and the few other Nomads that have actually been here... it is a little bit of Baja in the U.S.!

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 10:13 AM

Don't give up, Pomp! You've got interesting stuff, so hang tough.

My favorite estimate of arrival times is that of a botanist named Oakes Ames, who estimed that people must have reached the Americas at least 100,000 years ago because it would have taken that long to develop all the plants they domesticated.

Closer to home, archaeologist Harumi Fujita has obtained dates of around 40,000 BP for sites on Isla Espitiru Santo and is waiting for them to be confirmed. I talked with her a week or so ago, the day before she left to work on a really big dig over there.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 11:22 AM

keep your sense of hummer Pompano it is all tung and cheek. we are just dumb and bored.:yawn:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
keep your sense of hummer Pompano it is all tung and cheek.

If/when I can decipher this I'm pretty sure it will be both physically impossible and indecent:O.

neilmac
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 03:31 PM

" keep your sense of hummer Pompano it is all tung and cheek. we are just dumb and bored.:yawn: "

could that have been 'bung and cheek?"

Neil
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 03:51 PM
Osprey/ Pomp

Here is a link to some good stuff on the Kennewick man. Apparently the 'Native' American Indians feel very threatened by this guy. My reading of this stuff is that the Army Corp of Engineers worked very hard to destroy the evidnece in this case. They buried the discovery site under tons of bolders.http://www.cr.nps.gov/aad/kennewick/

I kinda like David's approach because a whole lot of my Mexican friends carry a bunch of Chinese features around with them. I enjoy pretending that they might be related to those guys who landed, by boat, about 10,000 or so years ago---I know that this is not true because the priests gentle ways caused that crop of natives to bite the dust.

Osprey---Chuck Potter is bringing you another book--"1421 The Year China Discovered America" by Gavin Menzies. He does a reasonable job of trying to prove that the Chinese visited all three Californias long before the Spanards. Great read.

[Edited on 4-28-2005 by Baja Bernie]

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 03:56 PM
According to all the comida china

restaurants I see everywhere, I think some of them probably stayed since then!:lol:
And speaking of which, Bamboo Express in the Sorianas markets has better chinese food than most restaurants I have chopsticked at. Probably has something to do with the name.:light:
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 07:03 PM

Bajalera--Howard Wilson found a female skull in Laguna Beach in the 30's that was later dated at around 17, 500 years, if my memory serves me. Don't know which batch of Paleoamerican she was related to though.

Is there any evidence the Aussies had vessels big enough to make a crossing of the Pacific? Maybe they coast hopped up and around the Northern coasts in smaller boats.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 08:41 PM

Mexitron, I didn't know about the California skulls, but others similar to the long-headed "Pericu" type have been found in Texas, Brazil and several other places. My husband was the archaeologist who did the first formal excavation of hyperdolichocephalic skulls in the Cape Region, which seem to be those that a couple of guys rediscovered in a museum a year or so ago, and apparently assumed they'd somehow never been noticed previously.

The rafts of the aboriginal Bajacalifornians weren't sturdy enough for extensive ocean voyages--one of the main arguments against arrival from the South Pacific. Then there's the food. Transoceanic travel would require a pretty good supply--so after landing, the voyagers lost all knowledge of agriculture? Doesn't seem likely.

I kinda like the "Pericu were Melanesian" theory of arrival that some ballet folklorico groups feature in La Paz--on parade floats their dancing girls wear fake grass skirts and a couple of strategically placed coconut shells. That's certainly the most attractrive origin theory, and by far the most popular.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 09:22 PM
Very interesting indeed

The origin of man based on the parade floats in La Paz. I think we've definitely stumbled on to something here!:light:
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 10:11 AM
JR

You seem to be unable to grasp the nuances involved in gathering the threads of history and attempting to weave them into a pattern that makes some sort of sense.

This is a very interesting thread that seems to balance the HaHa of Baja with a little of the thread gathering that a few of us really enjoy.

To all of my fellow 'weavers' please do not give up because I find myself enjoying the journey with a large smile writ all over my face. Same goes to you pokers of fun.

Saludos Baja

Where is my sage, OSO, in all of this?

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 4-29-2005 at 10:20 AM
Nuances Schmooances

This was a little spat between Lera and I regarding paintings, carvings, history, parades and such. Its just our typical nonsense:lol:
She seems to enjoy this as do I. So what? Was it something I said about that idiot president?:lol:
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.