Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Farms for tuna
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 08:10 PM
Farms for tuna

Lloys's report

Farms for tuna
Dohsui, a subsidiary of Japanese conglomerate Mitsubishi, is investing 150 million dollars in building "fish farms" for tuna in La Paz, Baja California Sur. Mitsubishi, one of world's most diversified transnationals, is the world's largest tuna trader.

The operation will produce bluefin tuna (which commands higher prices than yellowfin or big-eye) for export to the U.S. and Japan. About 30 million dollars worth of the nation's total tuna exports in 2004 (88.7 million dollars) went to Japan.

The national's tuna fleet, comprised of 60 vessels operating in the eastern Pacific, caught 128,914 tons of tuna in 2004.
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 08:23 PM

Sounds like a great idea.....gettin' ungry fer sushi already.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 08:25 PM

Hope they lose some as I go trolling by.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 09:03 PM

aldo,
2 weeks ago I saw some new stuff from Pichilugi to Tecolote
in the water, as well as up by Isla San Jose, are these fish farms???
latitude26n
Banned

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 11:04 PM
Don't turn your back when Mitsubishi's around

There was a Frontline (PBS) special a while back that was devoted entirely to Mitsubishi's track record of environmental degredation throughout the world from fishing and whaling, the shipping ports they control in the south Pacific, and clearcut foresting in Borneo and Indonesia.

The show focused on Mitubishi's M.O. of paying millons of dollars annually in "fines" to governments around the world for their misdeeds awhile they continue their practices and rake in Billions.r

Who was behind the salt works plan at Laguna San Ignacio?

If Mitsubishi is able to get their foot in the door, La Paz should keep a close eye on them.

[Edited on 4-27-2005 by latitude26n]
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 01:37 AM
interesting subject...

Tuna Farming - How is it Done?

Tuna farming, in its current form, is the capture, transfer, transport, storage, and feeding of live tuna. Tuna farming operations are presently focused on northern bluefin tuna (Thunnus thynnus) and southern bluefin tuna (Thunnus maccoyi). Efforts to breed bluefin tuna in an artificial environment have been realized but attempts to raise bluefin hatchlings to full maturity have yet to become commercially viable. New projects are currently underway to farm yellowfin and bigeye tuna.

Fishing vessels using poling methods and purse-seine nets capture live tuna and transfer the fish into towable sea cages. In the case of purse-seine net vessels, divers are used to direct live tuna from the fishing net to the towable sea pens. Since the objective is to transfer live tuna, purse-seine nets are drawn only to match the towing cage circumference, 132 meters (see Purse-Seine Fishing Illustration and Explanation). This procedure permits the successful release of live by-catch and excess tuna.

After the transfer of live tuna into the sea pens, the pens are slowly towed back to port where the fish are fed large amounts of natural bait and vitamins. Conditions are monitored continuously to provide valuable scientific data and to ensure premium quality production. Tuna are discharged from the pens when environmental conditions, fish quality, pen stocking density and market conditions are most suitable.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It seems more like rustling than farming.

I am always interested in new aquaculture techniques/endeavours but I have a few questions about this one. Particularily, the type of feed and the question of genetic crossover. So they don't harest eggs or otherwise encourage reproduction? Take out but don't put back?

"Farming" usually involves rearing the fish from juvenile to adult in a closed/controlled cycle. This means that these fish depend on humans to survive. Ranching on the other hand usually employs releasing the juveniles to mature more naturally then retuning home to spawn.

Tuna feed primarily on anchovies, greatly deminished in the Sea of Cortez. Who and where are the going to get the anchovies to feed the captured animals.

Since tuna are an epipelagic fish with enormous range they obviously incur a different diet than, for example; farmed salmon. This leads me to believe that these fish will be unlike their wild cousins.
I use fresh salmon as farmed salmon is far inferior in many respects. There is quite a large controversy over its (farmed)purported health benefits.

I also realize that tuna follow a temperature line or contour which sometimes brings them close to shore here in the NW but more notably, a general increase in off-shore(100-200mi) tuna populations in the late summer the last few yaers.

Are the pens able to be moved to a warmer water area if necessary? Warmer water stimulates hunger and tuna can eat!

If Mitsubishi wants to corner a market today, their spies were here yesterday.

[Edited on 4-27-2005 by Sharksbaja]

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 05:28 AM

The tuna large pens should be located in front of San Juan de La Costa.

I do not know much about tuna farming............. myself I am worried about the use of antibiotics. Still the idea and investment looks very positive for the area.

P.S. Cancellation of salt plant in San Ignacio has been a big mistake.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 01:20 PM

Aldosalato said:"P.S. Cancellation of salt plant in San Ignacio has been a big mistake."

I think the plant would have a huge negative impact on ecotourism in the area not to mention what physical changes would occur. Have you seen the Guerrero salt works in those space based pictures? It is enormous. Just a risky project from different standpoints.
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=27.802277,-114.073792&spn...

zoom in for detail

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 05:28 PM

Salt works areas are the BEST for migratory birds.
This is fact.

I agree that human developments create changes and mostly I am against most of them myself. Still on this subject I think Mexico shooted itself in the foot just to get along with international environmental organization.

Now Australia has the lead in salt exports.
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 06:08 PM

One set of Tuna pens in Punta Banda.

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 07:22 PM

Right now wholesale prices of prime quality fish in Baja is still very low at around 3-4 dollar a kg.
Offer is limited and prices are slightly on the way up.
In a few of years due to overfishing prices will probably increase dramatically and be around 10-15 USD per kg at current prices (discounting future inflation).

The only way to feed the hungry world population and contain price of prime quality fish is through fish farming.

[Edited on 4-28-2005 by aldosalato]
El Almirante
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 07:52 PM
Fish Farms around Ensenada?

On our recent trip ,just north of Ensenada as we were coming down the grade, we saw 15-20 white rings in the water, in goups of 3-5. They looked to be about 50' in diameter, and were about 1/4 mile offshore. Does anyone know if they are farming fish, and if so, what?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 07:59 PM
Those particular nets

are off Salsipuedes and are specifically for bluefin tuna. They are putting in more and they are spreading everywhere.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aldosalato
Right now wholesale prices of prime quality fish in Baja is still very low at around 3-4 dollar a kg.

Care to take a guess as to what the Japanese will pay per lb for one of those big blues? Tuna farming is better than having a diamond mine.;D

aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 06:41 AM

3-4 kg prime quality fish is for snapper, cabrilla, groupers dorado etc........

Tuna wholesale prices are higher also in Mexico............probably already around 15 USD per kg.
In Japan they are around 30 USD per kg.
Yes it is a huge profit.
But we have to admit that Japanese are the best in the world to do fish farming. So if Mexicans want to lear they have to allow foreign investments and profits till their own enterprenours can take the lead in the field in future years.

The important thing is to limit the catch in the wild so that this important resource can be preserved for future generations.

Today there has been a report on Televisa criticizing the future tuna farming in La Paz.

Myself I make my living on real estate and tourism in La Paz area. Still I think that we need more technology and grow new technician in profitable new jobs.
Fish farming is one.
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 09:46 PM

Sushi has become so expensive in Japan that the Japanese vacation in the States just to eat at Sushi bars.

Worldtraveller
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 10:55 PM

I don't know about Tuna farming. However, I do know that Salmon farming has a terrible reputation in the Pacific Northwest for flavor, texture, health, pollution & environmental concerns. Whether this reputation is deserved or not, I and most of my friends always choose wild fish over farmed fish.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 06:57 AM
Fish farms......

It's the same thing with the walleye as with the farm-raised salmon. The walleye is argueably the best eating fish in the world...but when farm-raised is a poor substitute to the flavor and texture of the wild fillets!!

Although I love tuna sushi and sushimi.......Nothing but nothing beats a shore lunch of 'Far Northern Lake' walleye fillets....yummmmmm. Pass me another fillet, por favor?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 09:56 AM

Aldosalato said:"Salt works areas are the BEST for migratory birds.
This is fact." Are you saying there wouldn't be migratory birds if it were not for the saltworks being there? The GN saltworks operations was responsible for a turtle die-off due to a toxic brine discharge. Also, there was a large amount of batteries disposed of there, causing more toxins to leach into the sensitive wetlands causing long-term environmental damage. Mollusks and plant life were tested and found to contain high amounts of toxic chemicals. It's an interwoven ecological life science that requires the health of each component in order to thrive. Mitsubishi has been raping the Earth of its natural resources for quite some time, with Baja, CA in its sights because your government can be compromised so easily. You expect them to change their tactics?
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 11:32 AM

Yes the best ornitologist of La Paz BCS University, Lic. Carmona, certified after extensive studies in the area that the salt works "salitrales" are a very positive addendum for the migratory birds in Baja.

If Mitsubishi is leaving chemical leaks it is right to fine them and even close their operation. But that does not change the principle that there is not a "greener" industry than making salt with salt water, wind and sun.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.