Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: San Fransquito Info Please
sunshine
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 08:22 PM
San Fransquito Info Please

I will be leaving tomoroow morning, an I've never been there. Is there Ice and/or beer available. Just wondering how much to stock up on in Guerro.
Thanks in advance.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 09:58 PM

There is almost always beer available. Ice is another story. Depends on their generator. You never know. Best to be prepared for anything. On the plus side it is one of the greatest places in the known world. Beer and ice just makes it a little better.
++Ken++
sunshine
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2005 at 10:20 PM

Great thanks for the quick response. Looking forward to a good trip.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 01:37 AM
Bahia S.Francisquito

great folks and fresh fish meals. Camping avail. or a hut like below. Bring enough gas. Sometimes they have extra gas. Great place to visit. Nice to exit through El Arco. Lots of washboard tho.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 05:54 AM

We first set foot there almost 30 years ago when a buddy and I flew a 180 onto the beach. At that time there was not too much around except for a fishing camp. Around 1978 JWBlack and I drove the washboard in after rummaging around El Arco mine area and met some other explorers camped there. Many years later we motored my old 'Pompano' up there to visit an old amigo, Ralph, on his tri, 'Sunshine'. (Does anybody but me remember Ralph? He had a piano onboard his sailboat and was a fixture on the Baja sailing scene for 40 years...last 10 years his 1st mate was Dawn Wilson?) By this time there was a couple of permanent residences, small store, etc. Also I remember a gemstone worker living there. He cut some fire opals up for me with his speciality saw. Don't know if he is still there or not?

Around 1976-77 a friend and I were asked by a local panga fisherman's wife to please go look for her long overdue husband. She told us her hubby had gone north with a few other boats looking for the motherlode of jurel (yellowtail), but now she was afraid for his safety, and our plane could cover the water quickly. We were always ready for another adventure and we were airborne immediately and started flying the coastline north..looking for a lost blue panga with an eye painted on it's bow..named El Tiburon. We covered the coastline all the way to San Fransquito and there it was..up on the beach with about a dozen others. We set down on the strip and walked on down the beach to rescue the poor fellow. Only thing was, he was pretty drunk as where all the other fishermen in the group. We told him he should sober up a little before talking to his wife on his return to Mulege...as we were going to give her the fuel bill for our flight, about $100 worth of aviation gas at the Serinadad. I think that sobered him a little! We didn't give that bill to his senora, of course, but we did let her know what he had been up to with his cronies at San Fransquito. I'm sure the neighbors heard her lecture when he came back!:yes:

[Edited on 4-27-2005 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 06:28 AM

Pompano

The gemstone worker was Ed (actually, Big Ed). I can't remember his last name, it will come to me, maybe it's in my log. He was a delightful guy, married one of the local Mexican gals (I think her name was Marta, she worked in the kitchen) and lived with her in the fishcamp on the north bay. Sadly, he is on the other side of the sod now. I think he died about ten years ago.

++Ken++

[Edited on 4-27-2005 by Ken Bondy]
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

smile.gif posted on 4-27-2005 at 07:17 AM
Ken is Right on!!!

there is no other place quite like PSFO. And that's Genaro and the family will never , they say, sell or lease, well maybe the lots on the south with the 2 small casas, but never to allow trailers and palapas. The late Shark lady and good friend Debra Lucero's husband still runs his ejido based campo on the north bay and you can rent from him. Debra's loss in the Flying Sams baron a few years ago at MMES was tragic, she had small kids left to raise. I have great stories from 25 years of going there. It is on my list for ashes scattering, mine, one day.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 06:56 PM

My first trip there was by plane from Bahia, summer of 81, for a first look.
We were just there this past Spring break, dropping off family for a three day stay, while we did chores in Bahia. They had a fantastic time, Carmen took very good care of them. They were the only couple there as it was the week after Semana Santa. They can't wait to return. I'll post a few photos. This first one is of the cold beer and ice that was of question.

Regarding the leasing of lots...I'd LOVE to pull up stakes from Bahia and move on down the road, BUT I would not want to contribute to the place turning into another Alfonsina's. Some things are best left alone and to the lucky ones who "found it first".
Saludos!
P.<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 06:58 PM

Inside the dining room.

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 07:05 PM

Guess what was for dinner tonight? Our family said that "Gallo", their singing panguero, was quite the comedian.

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 07:10 PM

Lunch on the patio was ready in a moments notice after we pulled in. Carmen wouldn't take no for an answer. She was one the ball, taking care of everyone.

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 07:13 PM

A view looking north from the south end of the cabanas.

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2005 at 07:15 PM

I won't bore you with any more photos. The parting shot, the catch of the day....

[Edited on 28-4-2005 by Paulina]

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

biggrin.gif posted on 4-28-2005 at 06:22 AM
it's funny....

the 1st time i asked Genaro if i could bring my trailer down and lease a spot, he said emphatically, "and what - turn this place into another 'Alfonsina's'??!! no fricking way"

:tumble::lol::lol:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 08:24 AM
Exactly!

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 08:38 AM
If that was Genaro's response......

.....then I nominate him for the 1st Annual Baja Man of the Year Award.

To refuse to allow the "Alphonsina-ing" of that area in the face of continued obstacles (like high fuel costs, onerous regs on pilots from Mexico City, etc.) is truly commendable. It would be so easy to take the lease money and run.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 09:12 AM
Everybody's got their favorite San Francisquito photo

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 09:22 AM
Once I get started I can't stop..

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 09:28 AM
Last one, I promise (yeh, right)

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2005 at 09:31 AM
paulina - loved your bulldog catch of the day

she looks kinda like our Rosie, gone now
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.