Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: surf fishing
bajaden
Nomad

Mood: vicarious

puzzled.gif posted on 4-29-2005 at 05:51 PM
surf fishing

Ok, here goes. Im moving to mulege in july. I grew up in missouri and learned to fish there, which consisted for running a trout line in the wee small hours of the morning and usually bait fishing for bass and perch. I then moved to northern california and had to learn how to fish all over again. Never saw a spinning reel until then. Of course that was in the 60's. Now Im moving again, and after reading this board for a week or so, I realize that I don't know squat about salt water fishing. So I quess I need a mentor. I've been reading any book I can get my hands on, but you can only learn so much, and then you need hands on. I've been putting some equipment together, based on what I've read, but like I said, I don't know squat. I also want to try surf fishing. Im open to all advice. Thanks guys.....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 05:56 PM

Quote:

I've been putting some equipment together, based on what I've read, but like I said, I don't know squat.

it's just like doing anything else worthwhile. it takes time. i'm sure you'll find there are plenty of folks who are in need of someone to listen to all of their fish tales. keep us informed on your progress.

bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 06:07 PM

Did you read The Baja Catch by Gene Kira? It's basically as good as it gets as far as info from a book. You will hear a thousand different oppinions as how and what to use. The best way to learn is by doing and watching with the locals in the area you fish in. Buy the best equipment you can and take care of it and it will last longer than you will. One last thing, don't limit yourself to fishing from shore. Most of the fun is from a boat or kayak. Always listen to everyone and see what works best...good luck...Gary

Carry an Organ Donor card. You could save someone\'s life... http://www.organdonor.gov
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 06:11 PM

It should be called shore or beach fishing as the is no real surf in the Sea of Cortes. Most the fun comes with trial and error, making your rewards that much better. Best bet though is are rocky points with deep drop-offs using bait. Some predators like Roosterfish will chase baitfish in very close. Check this site out by doing a search. There are many fish experts that post in here.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
bajaden
Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 4-29-2005 at 06:38 PM
books

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaloco
Did you read The Baja Catch by Gene Kira? It's basically as good as it gets as far as info from a book. You will hear a thousand different oppinions as how and what to use. The best way to learn is by doing and watching with the locals in the area you fish in. Buy the best equipment you can and take care of it and it will last longer than you will. One last thing, don't limit yourself to fishing from shore. Most of the fun is from a boat or kayak. Always listen to everyone and see what works best...good luck...Gary

Actually I've tried to buy that book and its out of print and very hard to find. If you know where I can get one let me know.
Thanks....
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

eureka.gif posted on 4-29-2005 at 07:33 PM
The learning process

starts every time a guy moves to a different area of the country in this case Mulege but that is half the fun!watch the guys who catch the fish,ask questions,what were you using,where,and what part of the day?
Now try and duplicate what he did,if if your lucky maybe you can watch him in action,look for little things,speed of the retrieve,rod action ect. Timing is everything,if your on the beach,first light is the best time of the day,late in the evening,incoming and high tide is the best.
Have a log,keep it up to date,if you have a boat the same applies.

You will find in salt water everything is faster,bigger and more fun.........Again ask questions,most guys will be more than happy to share their knowlegde.
BAITCAST
Keep an eye on this board and mix :bounce:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 08:17 PM

Bajaden...fishing in Mulege waters is going to be easy as pie for you. You are going to be spending most of your time trying for yellowtail, snapper, cabrilla, grouper, triggerfish, dorado, and whatever you finally determine is your 'style'. You are going to meet dozens of fellow fishermen who will gladly share information with you or invite you out fishing. Lots of local fishermen hang at Jungle Jim's on the river next to Oasis from 4:00 pm to 6:00 or so. Also the new Pelican Reef Bar & Grill downtown Mulege across from the square will give up a few fishing tales.

If bar scenes are not on your menu, then check out the 2 boat ramps at the estuary and talk to the local guides. Alejendro, Mateo, Gringo, Manuel, Bony, Felix, ..you will meet many for more information than you will remember. Check out the filet station at the Oasis when the fleet comes back. Always something happening there. Tight lines!

Equip yourself at any good tackle shop catering to salt water fishermen. If in San Diego try Hook, Line, and Sinker - Fishermen's Landing - Bob's Tackle - SquidCo - all these are in Shelter Island and Sports Arena area of SD. Just tell the expert on duty where you are fishing and stock up.

July will have you knee deep in dorado here in Mulege...maybe some tuna and billfish thrown in for good measure. If I was going to be here then, you would be more than welcome in my boat...but I will be on a different shore by then.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 09:21 PM

I tried to help another newbie with advice last week on baja.net. The following URL has suggestions and maps of places that may be useful.

http://www.baja.net/fud/index.php?t=msg&th=7042&start=0&rid=995

I see the "Baja Catch" in every store here in southern california. Perhaps it would be easiest if you bought it online directly from the author Gene Kira at www.bajadestinations.com
bajaden
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2005 at 10:23 PM
july fishing

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
Bajaden...fishing in Mulege waters is going to be easy as pie for you. You are going to be spending most of your time trying for yellowtail, snapper, cabrilla, grouper, triggerfish, dorado, and whatever you finally determine is your 'style'. You are going to meet dozens of fellow fishermen who will gladly share information with you or invite you out fishing. Lots of local fishermen hang at Jungle Jim's on the river next to Oasis from 4:00 pm to 6:00 or so. Also the new Pelican Reef Bar & Grill downtown Mulege across from the square will give up a few fishing tales.

Thanks for the info. I've been coming to mulege for several years and Im familiar with both those places. Sorry you won't be there, but I know its pretty warm at that time of the year. Don't have a boat yet so I'll have to hitch a ride for a while unless I buy one before I come down. Thanks to everyone for all the info.

Den....

If bar scenes are not on your menu, then check out the 2 boat ramps at the estuary and talk to the local guides. Alejendro, Mateo, Gringo, Manuel, Bony, Felix, ..you will meet many for more information than you will remember. Check out the filet station at the Oasis when the fleet comes back. Always something happening there. Tight lines!

Equip yourself at any good tackle shop catering to salt water fishermen. If in San Diego try Hook, Line, and Sinker - Fishermen's Landing - Bob's Tackle - SquidCo - all these are in Shelter Island and Sports Arena area of SD. Just tell the expert on duty where you are fishing and stock up.

July will have you knee deep in dorado here in Mulege...maybe some tuna and billfish thrown in for good measure. If I was going to be here then, you would be more than welcome in my boat...but I will be on a different shore by then.
bajaden
Nomad

smile.gif posted on 4-29-2005 at 11:33 PM
website info

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I tried to help another newbie with advice last week on baja.net. The following URL has suggestions and maps of places that may be useful.

http://www.baja.net/fud/index.php?t=msg&th=7042&start=0&rid=995

I see the "Baja Catch" in every store here in southern california. Perhaps it would be easiest if you bought it online directly from the author Gene Kira at www.bajadestinations.com

I went to the website. It was very informative. I've got to get my hands on that book. Thanks

Den....
bajaloco
Nomad

Mood: wishin I was fishin

[*] posted on 4-30-2005 at 08:46 AM

Here is a link to Gene Kira's site. You can get The Baja Catch there. http://www.bajadestinations.com/books/tbc3/tbc3.htm

Carry an Organ Donor card. You could save someone\'s life... http://www.organdonor.gov
bajaden
Nomad

rolleyes.gif posted on 5-1-2005 at 05:30 PM
Book

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaloco
Here is a link to Gene Kira's site. You can get The Baja Catch there. http://www.bajadestinations.com/books/tbc3/tbc3.htm

Thanks for the website info.

Den......
frizkie
Nomad

Mood: tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 04:42 AM
Baja Catch

Bajaden

If you go to Abebooks.com you can pick up a copy of The Baja Catch. They deliver very quickly and seem to have several used copies of Baja Catch listed. Their used books are always in excellent shape.

I've ordered from them bunches of times over the years and they are reliable and excellent to deal with.

Happy fishin'..........Ketch a bunch!!!:yes:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 06:20 AM

Bajaden...went out looking for dorado yesterday and found them (although small hens) 28 miles east of Mulege in 75.5 water. We caught 3 dorado, 2 sails, 1 skipjack, played a marlin for a while before busting 40 lb. line, and saw lots of action. You should have a good time by July if the season progresses as usual. We caught our fish with: feathers, pitched iron, and a live bait.

By all means, buy fishing books for lots of good info and hints...but nothing beats just getting out there and experimenting yourself. ;)

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 06:42 AM

Pompano glad to here you found the Dorado and the water temp. that means soon we will be in them. please keep us posted on this.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajaden
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 07:26 PM

Well I managed to purchase Baja Catch for what I guess was a reasonable price. To be honest, I didn't care, I just wanted the book. Feeling pretty good about myself with that acomplishment,I Then moved on to read Pompano's fishing report. One with my name attached. I couldn't wait to dive into that vicarious pool of dreams come true. I was at the same time, both lifted with excitement and depressed at only reading about it. Oh well, one thing at a time. Thanks Pompano, Skipjack Joe, Bajaloco, Frizkie, and the cast of thousands who responded. Special thanks to Bruce who turned me on to this board. Catch one for me Pompano.........

Den...
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 08:02 PM

Den your time is short up there soon you will be here in the land of the big Fish. cant wait for you to finally be here. for good.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajaden
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 07:00 PM

Thanks Bruce. I can't wait.

Den....

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.