Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: hurricane Marty and Elias Calles
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 05:31 AM
hurricane Marty and Elias Calles

Well here we go again. I just went through hurricane isabel and now another hurricane is attacking my house in EC. My neighbor (courtesy 2 way VSAT internet) has sent me these photos and an update. The rain started yesterday and already the arroyos started flooding as of yesterday afternoon and the storm wasn't even there yet. They report that access via 19 to Cabo is about to be cut off at Gaspereno to the south and Rancho Nuevo to the north.

this is just north of gaspereno yesterday
[img]http://bajabus.mystarband.net/images/north%20of%20Gasparno%20(hole%20in%20road).jpg[/img]

[Edited on 22-9-2003 by Bajabus]

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 05:34 AM

Hey Maximo! The photos did not show? e them to me!? Read your e-mail latley? :spingrin:

Mateo

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 05:54 AM

Here is the town well as it looked after ignacio and with martys waters starting to swirl. They just replaced the equipment and got it going again a few weeks ago

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 05:56 AM

this is the old detour road left over from Juliette. the ramp to the right leads to the new bridge. Marty is already swirling around it

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 05:58 AM

this is where gus will ride out the storm

[img]http://bajabus.mystarband.net/images/Gus'%20spot%20for%20the%20storm.jpg[/img]

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 06:02 AM

Mateo sorry about that. I had a drug flashback and forgot how to do meta tags.

yes I did get your e-mails and am an idiot for not responding promptly. I will amigo

hello to barb please

I'm headed your way on Oct 15 on my way to EC, wanna come?

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 08:40 AM

Just got this from my neighbor, I post it verbatum:

my capt,,, from the road your place looks ok,, saw chewy walking from the other side of the arroyo where the water falls is, no cars passing this morning, chewy was on his way over to your place to check it out. Bless his heart. some people by the well house lost their roof ,,it was in the road. well talke to you later, cant keep my eyes opened, still raining and 50 mph winds. heard at lest six dead in the cabo area

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 09:45 AM

last report is no traffic moving at all past EC on 19. Big jam up north of Rancho Nuevo. Nothing on the others side of Gaspereno to our south so that indicates the highway is cut off further south. One vehicle stuck in the arroyo at Gaspereno and headed out to sea. The new EC bridge is holding but the dirt approach ramps are beginning to show signs of erosion.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 06:32 PM

GREAT reporting Max! Almost like you were there... as you were for Juliette! Thanks so much...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 09:50 PM

Hello Guys!!!

Sorry to send these to you----we went to your house and checked it out. Needless to say, with the roof and window damage, there was quite a bit of water too!!! Chewy was there, and a friend with him. When we started out, it was not raining, but by the time we got to your place, it had started again and was coming down pretty good. Had a hard time keeping the camera dry, but got what we could. That is actually an SUV going through the G arroyo, but it was raining really hard right then. As you can see, still no traffic lined up on the south side of it, so I would assume no one is getting that far!!!

My blown out windows

the view from my patio. EGL this is where you and Barb camped when you visited. I should dredge it and open a marina. Ocean busted right through the dunes. I'm ocean front now. Never did like the guy that bought all the low land in front of me

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 11:44 AM

WOW!!!!!

Big bummer about the windows!! Hope there's not TOO much water damage!!

We will make sure and attach the pontoons to or rig next time we camp at your place!

'Marina de Lynna' has a ring to it!

We have a full dance card until the first part of November. We plan to head at least as far as Loreto, maybe La Paz.

Stay in touch!!

Mateo:biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 09:53 PM

Ok well here is the latest. Pedrito RV park is destroyed. here is the post from my neighbor verbatim. I will try and attach photos:
Hello!!!

We had heard rumors about the RV park after Ignacio, so knew that Marty could not have helped much. Today we drove down there to check it out----you have got to see it to believe it!!! I know this is a really big file, but thought you might be interested. John, an American who works there, said they plan to be open for the season, although they will only have about 3 rows of RV spaces and only a bar offering beer/drinks, no restuarant this year. Can't believe the condition of the beach.....if they can clean it up and open this fall, I will be amazed. But if anyone can get the job done, it would be the good old Mexican workers!!!!!

Stopped at the surf camp on the way home and they were thrilled---power had just come on there. Rich was there and said that yes, TS has power too, as of this afternoon!!! Mark went to Cabo today and said some gas stations are open and some aren't, but on the way to the RV park, we met no less than 4 big gas tankers headed south-----I am sure everyone is buying it up as fast as they can truck it in.

So generally, things are improving----no word on our water situation here in EC yet----the pipe leaving the well house is broken again---we can see that from the road---but if there is anything else, we don't know about it. Maybe if TS has electicity and phones---Poncho can talk with the office and LaPaz and get things taken care of. We are hoping for the best!!

Weather is great!!! Cooler temps and less humidity---great nights!!! IF I didn't have every window in my bedroom boarded up--it would be great sleeping weather.....but not taking them off as we want them on while we are on vacation.

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 09:54 PM

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 09:55 PM

looking from office and original bathrooms

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 09:56 PM

Bajabus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-26-2003 at 09:59 PM

somestuff moved under the tree

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.