Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: My new restaurant
Tommy A
Nomad

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 03:15 AM

Good Luck Jesse, but be careful if you decided to go in with a partner on this. Have everything spelled out, remember the devil is in the details.
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Any help or suggestions will be very appreciated,

NO TELEVISION!!!

Carefully-selected low-key background music.

An honest-to-god no-smoking section which doesn't share the same air with the smoking section.

Did I say no television?

--Larry

Oh yes! NO TELEVISION!!! I second that motion!
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 08:58 AM

Tongue in cheek, :lol: a real non smoking section but no off topic section. Real black beans but no baja blackie beans.

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 09:43 AM

Good luck Jesse.

I'm not as picky on food as much as I am on service. Great food is always a blessing but if the service is poor you'll only see me every 5 to 10 years. Another thing I've noticed mostly in Mexican restaurants is they are very slow in coming with the check. It may be a Mexican custom but this gringo likes it soon after I'm finished.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 09:51 AM

In Mexico you are supposed to ask for the check. It is considered very rude to present the check at the end of the meal. don't try and change Mexico into Bakersfield just study the costumes and enjoy them.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 10:19 AM

I might have a couple of opinions later on - but the successful places I know in TJ have the following in common:

1) They cater to a mostly Mexican working, non-narco, upper-middle class clientel - but welcome all.

2) Owner involvement up the wazoo.

3) KISS.

Some examples of this would be the Nelson Bar on 1st on Rebo, and La Fogata and the S?tano Su?zo in the R?o Zone.

Probably before your time there was a place called the "Bol Corona" next door to the Hard Rock on Rebo - it was originally a bowling alley - probably way way before your time. They were successful as a restaurant until their success kind of consumed them - they got too big - finally it was burned down.

The newer Bol Corona on Ocampo is better - but it's smaller/friendlier/ a little more intimate. I think that'd be more the direction I'd go.

BTW - You mentioned theme based stuff - do you know a guy named Carlos Maldonado - he was the owner of People's and Las Cuevas and borrowed the "Bol Corona" name for a place in the R?o Zone. He kind of came out of nowhere in the TJ nightclub/restaurant scene about 10-12 years ago. Is he still still wheeling and dealing? I had a chance to do business with him - still kind of kicking myself (sometimes).

Good Luck man.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio
I might have a couple of opinions later on - but the successful places I know in TJ have the following in common:

1) They cater to a mostly Mexican working, non-narco, upper-middle class clientel - but welcome all.

3) KISS.

Some examples of this would be the Nelson Bar on 1st on Rebo, and La Fogata and the S?tano Su?zo in the R?o Zone.

Probably before your time there was a place called the "Bol Corona" next door to the Hard Rock on Rebo - it was originally a bowling alley - probably way way before your time. They were successful as a restaurant until their success kind of consumed them - they got too big - finally it was burned down.

The newer Bol Corona on Ocampo is better - but it's smaller/friendlier/ a little more intimate. I think that'd be more the direction I'd go.

BTW - You mentioned theme based stuff - do you know a guy named Carlos Maldonado - he was the owner of People's and Las Cuevas and borrowed the "Bol Corona" name for a place in the R?o Zone. He kind of came out of nowhere in the TJ nightclub/restaurant scene about 10-12 years ago. Is he still still wheeling and dealing? I had a chance to do business with him - still kind of kicking myself (sometimes).

Good Luck man.

you are so correct I might add only one thing.

4 Owner Investment up the kazoo.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
If you decide to do something in a Titanic or Tropical Bamboo theme, I may be able to help with some ideas:light:

Thanks Jr,

I will keep you in mind if anything Bamboo is needed around here;)
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Braulio

3) KISS.

Good Luck man.

Gracias for the advice Braulio,

I did get the chance to eat at the ol Bol Corona, my dad used to take me there for lunch all the time, they had the best beef fajitas ever! i have never visited the new place, the old one had so much history and so much caracter that i can?t even imagine the new one coming close to the old. Funny thing is, once the old one burned to the ground, the new Hard Rock Cafe settled in that location, and i spent 4 years working for them at that very same place, so i am very familiar with every single square inch of that place.

I don?t know Carlos personally, but i have heard of him and off course i am familiar with Peoples and Caves, pretty chesseball places IMHO but hey, the guy has to make a living and someone has to sell cheap booze to the cheap skates.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 12:15 PM

Thanks to all for the karma and the advice, so far the Hacienda question is going to be settled on Monday, i have a meeting with them and by the looks of things, they arent doing so well, the owner was partnered with the guy who owns the old Cien a?os restaurant, but as it turns out, he found out the guy was stealing from him, so what does the Cien a?os guys do? he leaves and takes the Cien a?os name with him, so the restaurant is now called "Hacienda". If i do go in into that place, i have to do a complete Uturn on everything, the food is mediocre, the service is not good, and the place needs some ambiance. good things are that the location is awesome, and the facilities are also excelent, if i improve the kitchen and the service, redecorate a bit, maybe consider changing the name and perhaps the concept, and we might be into something special, plus, i think the catering and special events area has a lot of potential as well.

Thanks to all again, and i will keep you posted on the news.
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 01:47 PM
Vouchers

Call me when you get them free vouchers for dinner 555.5673 :lol:
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 02:44 PM
Suggestions

As a former Cannery Row (Monterey Calif) Bar/Restaurant owner who sold the same place 3 times before it stuck (I had to take the place back and rebuild the business twice). I'd like to make a few recommendations (in no particular order, except #1 is critical).

1) Make sure you have enough capital to live on AND operate the place for a full year without making a profit. This over and above the costs of renovations. (two of my buyers went broke in 6 months or less). If you can't do this then wait until you can!

2) Change the name of the place. (You want to get a fresh start, and not be related to any bad vibes from the previous name).

3) Don't rely too much on gimmicks or "hooks", they get old fast. Establish a solid reputation for good food and reasonable prices. (unless you're looking for the tourist trade)

4) Develop your own menu items. For a good chef, a recipe is just a starting point. But once you develop a recipe and start serving it, don't play with it. Be consistant. And try it out on your friends before adding it to the menu.

5) Keep the menu short. Better to have a few excellent items than a book of mediocre ones.

6) Treat your staff with respect and pay them well (and on time). Word of mouth is the most powerful advertisement there is, and a bunch of peeed off employee's can sink a place. Same goes with your vendors, make sure they get paid on time, you can't cook if you don't have the ingredients.

7) Keep regular hours, nothing pee's off a customer more than to find the door locked an hour after the posted opening time or before the closing time.

8) Hire only the best of everything, even the janitors. If you're going to spend time in the kitchen and not going to be the front man, then hire a good one (or two).

9) Keep the place spotlessly clean

10) Advertise, If you're location isn't the greatest then Advertise, Advertise, Advertise.

11) Make sure that the chairs/booths are comfortable and are at the correct height for the tables. (I HATE caneback chairs)

12) Never, Never, Never extend credit!!!!

You sound like you've had some experience in the business so a lot of this is probably not new to you but I developed this list for novices and just edited it a little for the Baja.

Lots of luck

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 03:30 PM

5) Let 'em have the Cien A?os name - drop the ~. Go with Cien Anos and solicite the gay chilango demographic of TJ - L that's about 25% of the population and you'd have no competition.

(No - I'm not anti-gay/chilango or anything else - just trying to help Jesse find a niche here.)
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 04:28 PM

As far as the "before your time" angle...

I have many fond (youthful) memories of the old "Blue Fox", known far and wide for "Fine Mexican Cuisine". :lol:

But, that's probably not what Jesse has in mind...:rolleyes:
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 04:50 PM

Jesse, GOOD LUCK on your new venture! I will definetly come and bring the family.

Oso, was'nt donkey on the menu at the Blue Fox or am I thinking of another fine establishment?

:O

thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 06:18 PM

Very good advice from a lot of you.
The most important thing that I can add.....
Be absolutely dialed in before you open, open 'soft' with no fanfare, do it right from day one.
That goes for good service, good food, and a quality experience from the get go.
The worst thing you can do is open with a "let's practice a while" attitude, you will be toast in a hurry.
Here at home the locals love to swarm a new restaurant, but if the food is cold and the service is slow, they never, never, never come back.
Better to have a slow week or two to get things situated before you start promoting and advertising.
Oh yeah, hope you caught a common theme above...freebies and discounts... hope you go the opposite direction.
Never, ever comp. your friends or family.
You are in this as a business, not a family and friends charity.
Bet Antonio does not give away free gas to his friends and family!!!!
(and I am breaking my own rule, giving free advice when I am still in the consulting biz)
Buen suerte,
Will look you up next trip South.

Baja Arriba!!
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lizard lips
Oso, was'nt donkey on the menu at the Blue Fox or am I thinking of another fine establishment?
:O

Maybe, but it wasn't anything I ate. I was strictly into seafood...:lol:
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 5-1-2005 at 08:55 PM
Consider what works in the area

Hacienda Cien Anos is pretty much in the same parking lot as Saverios and La Espadana.

I haven't been to Saverios, but I am told that it is high end Italian for dinner. La Espadana is very busy all the time for breakfast and lunch and offers Mexican and American style high end coffee shop (not a diss) food. You can get tamales, menudo, huevos rancheros and ham and eggs, all beautifully presented in an gorgeous mission style setting with an incredible take out counter filled with desserts.

Since there is no worry about customer flow in the area, I think the question is, "How do you stand out in this configuration?"

Buena suerte, and get ready to not sleep very much for a great while!

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 08:05 AM

Good luck on your place Jesse... I will look forward to eating there! Maybe we should have a Baja Nomad day there? Nomads can come to Tijuana for the day, meet, talk, eat, drink...!!! Help get your place off and running!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 09:08 AM

For decor, check out the art available at the Perez-Meillon gallery in Ensenada (in the artesenos square). A great fish taco plate would be good. Good Luck, Jesse.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.