Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: My new restaurant
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 09:16 AM

when anyone asks me for a discount I always give the same that I git from them in there business. that way I usually don't need to give anything.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 11:39 AM
perks and benefits

"Oh yeah, hope you caught a common theme above...freebies and discounts... hope you go the opposite direction."

I concur, but I DO feed my family.....a perk, but I also let the staff have their choice of one meal, minus the Dungeness Crab. After a while most employees only eat a couple times a week, if that.
One week paid holiday each year of full time employment. No health benefits. Training and help obtaining health permits, alcohol server training etc. Tip sharing which amounts to a good portion of earnings. An occasional gift like a turkey for a holiday.

If you have partners you should comp no one. Account for everything and have your accountant(if you have one) depreciate your equip. etc. if that could be done.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 07:20 PM

Gracias to everybody for some excelent advice, i had a meeting with the owner of Hacienda today and the situation is as follows:

1.-The current concept of high end nouveau Mexican food is not working, mainly because the chef is not as good as i wish he was. That has made me realize that in order to make it with the same concept, i need a Chef as good or better than the one Cien a?os or la Querencia has. In my opinion, it doesnt matter if i have the best service, the best cost controls, and the best location, if the food is not as good as the competition, why will people spend their money with me? so.

2.-That means that i absolutely need a great chef, problem is, finding a great high end Mexican chef is very hard and i don?t have any guarantees that if i find him, he wont leave me for a better offer in a couple of years.

3.-In my opinion, i need to change the concept in order to give the place a fresh start, finding an excelent chef shouldnt be so much trouble as getting a noveau Mexican one, so thats a +. I can prepare a re-opening, atract all of those people that where dissapointed with the place before, and i can start from scratch.

Problems:

Like Gypsy Jan said, i have Saverios next door, they say they serve Italian, but their menu is mediterranean-california, i need something versatile, popular, and at the same time, something that wont feel like i am copying Saverios.

Suggestions?

(Anything but French)
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 07:45 PM

Find a "consulting" chef to plan a menu and train kitchen staff.

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 07:50 PM
Cheap, Ice cold buckets of Pacifico Cerveza...

...would be a BIG draw.:spingrin:

The best to you on your new venture - sounds like lots of work, but can be rewarding when things settle down.

My only hesitation is with trying to make success of a restaurant in the same location of a 'failed' one. Up here, at any rate, when ever this happens, the new place just never makes it. There are exceptions, I'm sure, like when the entire building is re-designed to look nothing like it's predecessor, so there is no 'stigma' of the old place remaining.

New name, new paint, move some windows, doors, walls, etc.

Then most important...great food - 'If You Cook It - They Will Come'. (and cheap beer!)

Again, the best in your new venture!

[Edited on 5-3-2005 by Mexray]

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
HungryHiker

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 05:29 AM
Re: My New Restaurant

Hi Jesse,

Great chef I would say is #1 requirement; beautiful decor, good prices, good marketing and constant attention to detail to provide a consistent dining experience are also essential. Remember Cilantros years ago? Fantastic place, lost to obscurity; as was the more recent Cyrus Persian restaurant located across the street from Saverios, which was fabulous, beautiful, and lasted less than a year (no marketing knowledge on part of owner?)

Hacienda Cien Anos (now known as La Hacienda de Tijuana) I think is too big, but maybe the rent is cheap enough that it doesn't matter.

I think what Tijuana need are high end:
Middle Eastern
Vegetarian
Vietnmese restaurants
I don't know what you have against French, but I believe there is plenty of room for an in town French restaurant.

Whatever you do, please post when the restaurant is open, I will definitely check it out.

And, speaking of restaurants, there is a free introduction to 8 Tijuana restaurants May 19th in Tijuana at La Candelaria (next to La Diferencia) - Last year's event was very fun and gives you a chance to taste several dishes from each restaurant. Details: http:///hungryhiker-tj.com
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 06:39 AM

Jesse

Now that you have had all of this exellent input you had better do a serious Plus-Minus list before you get fully commited.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 07:32 AM

finding the chef is only half of the problem , for me that was easy I was the Exec. chef putting together the team is the harder part. you need to have all parts of your team on contracts in Mexico or you will go crazy.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
when anyone asks me for a discount I always give the same that I git from them in there business. that way I usually don't need to give anything.

I only give discounts to the police. I figure since they are already on the payroll, they should get one.;D

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 07:46 AM

The hungry hiker link is:

http://hungryhiker-tj.com

That's the premiere English-language site for Tijuana restaurant info/reviews. Good stuff.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 02:07 PM
good point Mexray

he said:
"My only hesitation is with trying to make success of a restaurant in the same location of a 'failed' one. Up here, at any rate, when ever this happens, the new place just never makes it. There are exceptions, I'm sure, like when the entire building is re-designed to look nothing like it's predecessor, so there is no 'stigma' of the old place remaining."

New name, new paint, move some windows, doors, walls, etc.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Med is out! Too many of these in SO CAL

I think you've got the right idea. Clients will lose that stigma if you don't repeat the same venue. The same holds true for bad service. If the new restaurant has the same staff, then the customer feels it really hasn't changed completely. Your formula for sucess depends on your ability to get AND keep the person coming back over and over(and their friends).
These days you have to very clever to compete in such a huge market. On one hand you need quality and service but you can't make money if your meal tickets are too low. On the other hand, if you charge to much for more of the same, they will go next door. You must provide SOMETHING the other guys close by don't have. Be a snob, when choosing menu items. People are looking for alternative(more exotic) food items and will pay more for that. So, even if Salmon and Sturgeon cost me the same wholesale, I would alwys sell the sturgeon faster. So I focus on serving extreme meals. Big, bold and plentiful. Unlike any I know.Because it really is amazing how restaurants copy each other. If you do this , do it in a different neighborhood. Most cook/chefs have already been programmed how to cook. We train ours from scratch. It is very important to deliver consistant food. Customers get hooked on certain dishes offered and it's gotta be the same the next time he/she/they walk in, or else!

Then most important...great food. Great service /hospitality. Of course your location dictates a large percent of biz. It is harder to please people in bigger restaurants as the personalized attention gets watered down.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 02:17 PM
When I'm down south

I am a regular customer at the same restaurants for two reasons. #1. The food is always good and a lot of it.
#2. I can afford them
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.