Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja1000 (San Felipe)
3rdRock

[*] posted on 9-22-2003 at 10:23 AM
Baja1000 (San Felipe)

Hi Everyone!
I'm tossing around the idea of spectating the Baja1000 from San Felipe. Can any one give me any pointers as to the BEST place to stay. (hotel or RV park) All the listings on the "net" say "we're the best," but I would like to hear it from the horses mouth. I haven't been to San Felipe for maybe ten years, has it changed any? I'm not much into the "crowd" these days, but it might be hard to get away from, with an event of this magnitude. Maybe an upscale place might be safer and a little less of the "main party spot." PLease let me know. I've heard some stuff about a place called El Dorado Ranch. Is it everything the website says it is, or slightly over rated? I would like to eventually buy some property south of the border although not quite sure where to go. The only requirement I desire is to be near the waters edge. I'd love to hear your opinions. I have spent a great deal of time in Puerto Penasco; how does San Felipe compare! Anxiously awaiting your response!
Jeff

Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 07:42 AM
Baja 1000 spectating

You'll be watching the race in the middle of the night if you watch it in San Felipe...you'll see lights and dust as they scream by at 100 miles per hour in the dark....check spectating on the Pacific Side for this race...

Desertbull
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 07:24 PM
Baja 1000

Watching the night racing is at least as much fun as the day stuff, if you are properly located.
Being at a night checkpoint, with a view out to see them coming in from way out there is truly ethereal, nothing like it.
The down side is that they are ususally really strung out by then, and many have broken down. Therefore, you will not get the focused, rapid action of watching one of the early check point areas of the event.
(By the way, in the day time I would find another spot, out on the course, not in a pit or checkpoint.)
The best of all worlds, go down the paved road to some point where you can watch them within an hour of the start, then hotfoot it back to Ensenada, and across thru Valle de Trinidad to watch the night action at San Felipe.
Now, you are getting the best of everything.
But please, please, please, as a former racer I am begging you....
STAY OFF THE COURSE AT ALL TIMES DURING THE EVENT!!!
Especially, don't get cute and try to back track the course, even if you think all have passed by. There is always some late guy, busted, and patched up, and running like Jack the Bear to try and get back into it.
And there you are, and then you die!

Enjoy!!! It is awesome. Only took me one event to spectate and I raced the next 12 years.

Baja Vida!!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-7-2003 at 09:37 PM

Hello BajaRunner, check your u2u. Thank you!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2003 at 05:27 AM

may be at punta cabras for the race. your welcome to join me.:lol:
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2003 at 11:49 AM
Baja 1000

SCORE has posted a preliminary course description on their web-site under "course notes" for the Baja 1000 event.
Drawing for the event will be this Wednesday in Fullerton, CA...:O
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2003 at 02:54 PM
Race

Kristian, you might want to swing over to Baja.Net and check it out, they seem very knowledgable in regard to the race...

see you in Loreto.....SOON!

george
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2003 at 07:02 PM

The SCORE web address is http://www.score-international.com Click on the Baja 1000 link at the top of the page to see the coarse notes and PDF map.

This may be a great event as new/ never before raced roads are included (unless changes occur).

The race will start and end in Ensenada and its over 750 mile course will pass through or NEAR the following points: Ojos Negros, Santa Catarina, Valle Trinidad, Mike's Sky Rancho, cross the Observatory Road, Mision Santo Domingo, stays inland from San Quintin and over the mountains to the Los Martires/Arenoso road, Some Hwy. 1 running, Santa Catarina, Puerto Canoas, Laguna Chapala/ cross Hwy. 1 north bound, Coco's Corner, Puertecitos, San Felipe, parallel Hwy. 5 to Crucero la Trinidad (The Poles) then turn west, Borrego Wash, San Matias Pass, Valle Trinidad, and back to Ensenada on the same roads used earlier this race.

SCORE stongly requests that NO ONE race the coures except racers on race day and NO ONE pre-run the course until after Nov. 1 (and only those who are racers). No pre-running back towards Ensenada from Valle Trinidad to avoid a head on with other pre-runners) See details on SCORE's web site.
For those concerned about enviromental damage... 'off road racing' is realy not. It uses existing dirt roads.

Score pays heavily for many fees that I believe are supposed to cover damage and trash collection. From my personal observations, it is the citizens of Mexico who drive out to various places along the course, make quite a fiesta of the event, and then leave tons of trash (mostly beer containers), and not the race support crews.
There have been exceptions documented near Gonzaga Bay (American beer containers)... But, by and large, the off road race community strives to be good guests in the host's country.

This could be a great event to watch or support. The race starts Fri. Nov. 21 (the weekend before Thanksgiving).

[Edited on 10-15-2003 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2003 at 07:11 PM
Trash?

What is your purpose in trying to nationalize trash? Seems to me the race is run entirely in Mexico.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2003 at 07:50 PM

There are more than a few people (enviro types) who want no off road racing in Mexico. The race brings out spectators and some of these spectators are not up to date with ecological ideas.

The one I was refering to is: 'haul it in, haul it out'. Before another 'green' starts to blame Americans (again) for 'trashing' the planet, I wanted it to be known that SCORE and MOST people involved with the sport are NOT responsible for the trash piles left along the race course. I would hope the good people of Mexico (and any foreign guests) who drive out to the interior to watch the race take back the trash rather than leave it out there. I hope this is PC enough, and please accept my apology if my earlier post wasn't.

I was the only American camping at the spot on the 500 race course east of Hwy. 3 with about 20 Mexican vehicles. Everything they consumed was tossed into the shrubs... I hadn't the room in my truck to haul it away for them, nor was I sure it was my place to do so.. it being 'their' country. I did look real obvious to those still there when I packed to go, as I took one big garbage bag and collected about 2 dozen beer bottles laying near my truck.

Any other thoughts on keeping Baja clean, without banning off road racing? Should SCORE collect all trash left along the course? Would a PR campaign like "Give a hoot, don't pollute" work in Mexico? Perhaps there already is one, and it is a matter of time?

Maybe my next sticker should read: I Love a Clean Baja

Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2003 at 08:17 PM
Running Mexico

Quote:

it is the citizens of Mexico who drive out to various places along the course, make quite a fiesta of the event, and then leave tons of trash (mostly beer containers), and not the race support crews.

So we should dis-allow Mexicans to throw their trash on the soveriegn soil of MEXICO? We don't own the world yet!!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2003 at 11:19 PM

No Tucker, I am saying I don't want to see the sport banned because special interest groups blame Americans, when it has been my observation that some of the local people (of Baja) are leaving trash.

Maybe locals trashing their country isn't as important an issue to you, as say driving on beaches... But, it's one that I have feelings about.;)

Tucker said: "So we should dis-allow Mexicans to throw their trash on the soveriegn soil of MEXICO? We don't own the world yet!!"

Also in my post above, I mentioned that I probably didn't have any business telling them to pick up their litter in their country, so I didn't. Here's that part, you missed:

Now, how about some Peace!:yes:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2003 at 07:36 AM

David, in Sal Fish's course discription they cross hwy 1 at KM233 and take the graded road to Cocos. The graded road turn off at Chapala is KM235. So the race course appears to be coming from El Islote lake bed, Baja map p18, perhaps from the washes that connect to La Pintada, Baja map p20. I originally thought it would follow thru San Antonio and turn north following the Cordornices wash. Anyway that is new stuff.

We have a prerun crew going down the weekend of Nov. 1st to do both of the new sections. I'm excited.

Everyone should do their best to keep Baja clean.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2003 at 10:54 PM

Thanks TW! I didn't look at my KM. notes, so I assumed it was coming up San Antonio way. That means a NEW road from Chapala directly to the Pacific coast/ 7 Sisiters, I guess? I will edit my route notes. Please let us know how the pre-running goes... I sure wish I could help supprt your team! I was a pit captain at several races for Los Campeones ('77-'83). Those were the fun days (before marriage and children and divorce. lol):yes:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2003 at 07:36 AM

David, I haven't made firm plans on where I'll be for the race yet, because I don't know who I'll be helping if anyone. The Locos Mocos pit crew plans on being near where the course turns east at the coast on this new trail to Chapala and if nothing else I'll probably be with them. They are a fun group with about 7-10 4wheel drives that help anyone and everyone. If you want to be with them they won't mind. I'll let you know their exact location when they make it on the course map.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2003 at 08:44 AM

Thanks TW... Because of kids in school, I don't think it's do-able, but you never know about the future, until it happens! I do exchange emails with Mark N. of Locos Mocos, so I am partially 'in the loop'. Thanks.

LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2003 at 02:40 PM
Baja 1000

:o 220 entries at the drawing last night! Up from 168 starters last year.... Map looks good, and should be up on SCORE's site by Oct 24th.:yes:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2003 at 08:17 PM

Thanks Kris... do you know where you will be set up?

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2003 at 06:10 PM

Baja 1000 tulip notes and map are on the RLH web site. www.rlhcomm.com

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.