Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Do you bamboo ?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 12:44 PM
Do you bamboo ?

This is borrowed from the INBAR site.
Bamboo and Rattan Facts

A sixty foot tree cut for market takes 60 years to replace. A sixty foot bamboo cut for market takes 59 days to replace.
Over one billion people in the world live in bamboo houses.
The world trade in bamboo and rattan is currently estimated at 14 billion US dollars every year.
The majority of bamboo and rattan harvested for market is harvested by women and children, most of whom live at or below subsistence levels in developing countries.
Bamboo

Bamboos are giant, woody grasses which put out several full length, full diameter, naturally pre-finished, ready-to-use culms ("stems") each year. A single bamboo clump can produce up to 15 kilometres of usable pole (up to 30 cm in diameter) in its lifetime.

Bamboo is the most diverse group of plants in the grass family, and the most primitive sub-family. It is distinguished by a woody culm, complex branching, a generally robust rhizome system and infrequent flowering.

It has a tropical and subtropical (cosmopolitan) distribution, ranging from 46 N to 47S latitude, reaching elevations as high as 4,000 m in the Himalayas and parts of China. Bamboo is very adaptable, with some species being deciduous and others evergreen.

The taxonomy of the bamboo remains poorly understood, though the general consensus seems to be that bamboo numbers between 60 and 90 genera with 1,100 to 1,500 species.

Described as the 'wood of the poor' (India), 'friend of the people' (China) and 'brother' (Vietnam), bamboo is a wonder plant that grows over wide areas of Africa, Asia, the Caribbean and Latin America. Millions of people depend on this plant for their livelihood. It has become so much a part of the culture and memory of societies that the existence of a Bamboo Age has not been ruled out.

Its use in food and cooking goes far back in history. Exports of bamboo shoots from Taiwan alone amount to $50 million (US). Apart from traditional uses, bamboo has many new applications as a substitute for fast depleting wood and as an alternative to more expensive materials.

Modern paper industry has expanded to such an extent that 2.2 million tonnes of bamboo are used in India for this purpose.

Bamboo furniture is an expanding business. In the Philippines, between 1985-1994, exports rose from $625,000 to $1.2 million.

Bamboo's potential for checking soil erosion and for road embankment stabilization are now becoming known. It is equally important for providing fast vegetative cover to deforested areas.

Bamboo's role in the construction field is equally substantial. Hundreds of millions of people live in houses made from bamboo. In Bangladesh, 73% of the population live in bamboo houses. It provides pillars, walls, window frames, rafters, room separators, ceilings and roofs.

In Borneo and in the Naga Hills of India, large communal houses of 100 feet in length have been built of bamboo. Throughout rural Asia it is used for building bridges, from the sophisticated technology of suspension bridges to the simpler pontoon bridges. Bamboo scaffoldings are found throughout Asia, and they are employed on the high rise structures of Tokyo and Hong Kong.

Bamboo is also used for musical instruments of all three types: percussion or hammer instruments, wind instruments, and stringed instruments. In Java, 20 different musical instruments have been fashioned of bamboo. The flute may have been invented by cave people toying with a hollow bamboo stem.

Come by and see the Baja Bamboo Park. And in the mean time, you might consider getting some planted!:light:
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 01:01 PM

jr...
When I was in Bali I saw some incredible bamboo and rattan furniture with diameters of over 4 inches....They build all their scaffolding with bamboo and new shoots grow over 2 feet a day with certain species. I've probably got over 15 different varieties planted at my house with cold hardy palms and bananas too. There is a gal in Seattle area that has the "Hinon" variety of the black bamboo that has 4 inch culms and is over 60 feet tall..
Got Bamboo here.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 01:29 PM
I knew you did Cinco

I first fell in love with bamboo in the Phillipines, Borneo and Malaysia where it is "The Material" for everything. When we saw about 3 miles of split bamboo pipeline which we followed through the jungle, we discovered the only innovative hut that had indoor plumbing. I was hooked!
We just finished planting Guadua, which has a diameter of about 6 inches and is native to the Americas. I'll try and post a picture of some.
We also have Oldhamii and I'm working on acquiring many more species. Mexico has 25 kinds on the endangered list and I am hoping to work with the government "unendangering" them here in Baja. So far, so good!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 01:35 PM

OK! I broke down and looked closer at all this bamboo hoop-la. Whoa, it's another cult........ it's everywhere.......they are everywhere............ the bamboozlers (sp?) that is.
I did a ass-backwards Google search(thats where all the goodies are) and I must say JR, ya gots plenty of compadres out there. WHY? Why has it taken so long to utilize this versatile and prolific plant.
Here in the NW a major portion of all the logging ends up at the GP mill as cardboard. I would think that fibre forests made up of bamboo could help save our forests from a 20 yr death cycle and would yield other valuable byproducts.

Good choice JR. Hope to see your project sometime.

here are some interested folks:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The University of Georgia
Bamboo Farm and Coastal Gardens
Savannah, Georgia
Research Project Summary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The historic plant collections at this facility began more than 100 years ago when Mrs. H.B. Miller planted three bamboo plants. By 1915, the original three plants had multiplied into a flourishing bamboo grove that was brought to the attention of USDA plant explorer Dr. David Fairchild. Dr. Fairchild saw the warm climate and fertile soils of Savannah as an ideal spot for a plant introduction station and, in 1919, Barbour Lathrop, friend of Dr. Fairchild and a supporter of U.S. plant exploration, purchased the 46-acre tract that is now the Bamboo Farm and Coastal Gardens. Barbour Lathrop then leased the property to the U.S. Department of Agriculture for the price of $1.
For more than 60 years, plant materials gathered from all parts of the world by explorers and botanists were planted here. In 1979, the gates of the Plant Introduction Station were closed as a cost reduction measure of the USDA. Four years later, the property was deeded to the University of Georgia for use as a center for research and education.
The Atlantic coast of the southeastern United States is a unique environment. With its long growing season, warm climate and sandy soil, many plants that cannot be grown in other parts of Georgia prosper in the coastal region; other plants, many of which are well-adapted to the Georgia Piedmont, perform poorly. Since more unbiased information is needed on the performance of ornamentals and turf in coastal Georgia, many research/education projects have been initiated at the Bamboo Farm. The information obtained from these projects will allow landscape professionals, nurserymen, homeowners and greenhouse growers to select and promote plant materials well-adapted to the southeastern coastal environment

http://aprendizdetodo.com/garden/?item=20030811

http://www.austincc.edu/muzos/tbsauction04.html

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 01:39 PM

jr..
Also had a nursery buddie that grew the giant timber bamboo and other species that just sold the new shoots to all the oriental restaurants in San Diego area by the pound for all the bamboo shoot soup. He made more selling those than the actual potted or B&B plants...

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 01:41 PM

Really look forward to seeing your digs down yonder jr....
Have you transplanted any of the Brahea armata blues yet?
There are also Brahea brandeegii, Brahea edule....Not to mention all the Washingtonias...

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 01:44 PM
Cult ??

I just figgerd since I was a westerner born in May, I was too darn stubborn to "let bamboo into my life" hahahahahahaha.

In reality, before the wars, bamboo was beginning to become popular in america. Long time ago. But, the countries we were fighting all had used it for years. Thus, the bad reputation for bamboo for all those years. I know of two people who still feel this way and I respect both of them except when it comes to bamboo and religion:O

Now, with our fantastic attention spans, we are forgetting about bamboo being connected with commies, asian barbarians and the likes of them what would actually eat the stuff.:lol::lol::lol:

Just watch and see how popular it becomes in the next few years!! It could solve a whole passle of environmental problems. It already is being used in most countries for everything.

And we westerners thought we were so "advanced". Hardee har har har!

[Edited on 5/2/2005 by jrbaja]
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 01:51 PM

Driving around Bali there would be piles of freshly cut bamboo at least 100 feet long, they'd feed the greens as cattle fodder and cure the poles for building and ceremonial celebrations...HUGE part of the Balinese culture and the rest of Asia. I brought back some awesome cooking utensils made from bamboo. Not only is it extremely functional it's great to look at with all the grainy patterns. Big company in Seattle that produces bamboo flooring.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
latitude26n
Banned

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 02:00 PM
not bamboo, but

Quote:
Originally posted by Cincodemayo
Have you transplanted any of the Brahea armata blues yet?

I was advised to leave a Mex. Blue palm in the container when planting because of fragile roots.

So far I've tried planting:
- one untouched in the container
- left one in the container but scored the bottom of the pot to make the holes bigger,
- took one out of the container before planting
- and took one out of the pot, but transplanted it later.

Only the first 2 on the list have survived,and my prized one is the one plunked right into the ground in it's container.

I don't if this is the reason, or it's a matter of putting the tree in a better location, water etc. Any opinions?

[Edited on 5-2-2005 by latitude26n]
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 02:17 PM

Brahea armata (Mex. Blue Palm) can be touchy if you cut too many roots but using a good Vitamin B transplant hormone will really help....before AND after planting. Don't flood it but don't let it dry too much. The best hormone I've ever used is called SUPERTHRIVE. The stuff is awesome with everything. I dug up a black bamboo clump before we moved last year that was 10 feet wide and 20 tall....Divided it into 2 clumps and hardly lost any canes. Now the new growths off both clumps will double it's size.

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 02:33 PM
bamboo baja

hell yea,i can dig it.......jr,you should post the link to your homepage again so people can see the work you guys are doing...i checked out the photos of the structure youre building with bamboo,i've gotta admit that i'm envious....thats the kind of project i would like to be in on;D
latitude26n
Banned

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 02:40 PM

Thanks 5 de Mayo.

Please check out the "Baja building and living" suptopic from time to time.
I have lots of plant questions but will ask them over there and would love to have your input.

By the way, I still have a staghorn and some bromeliads that we got from you, before you guys made your big move North.

(if this is who I think it is!)

A good reminder to always behave- you never know who you'll run in to...

I'll tell you who this is someday, but will keep you guessing for now.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 02:59 PM

latitude...
Did you get them in Laguna or Vista? Great memory!
I sold sooooo many plants down there as well as traded many to the other fireman in Laguna for helping...The staghorns must be huge by now....I had to sell the biggest one on the side of the Laguna house with the house as 3 guys couldn't lift it!

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 03:01 PM

Woody? If it is how big are Nelson's Kentias in his front? He also had the traveler's palms along his driveway....

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 03:19 PM
Cinco

do you know Don Jorge from this board? He has a nursery in San Juan Capistrano and is interested in Bamboo. Hell of a nice guy from what I can tell and spends a LOT of time south of the border helping people and scaring fish.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 03:24 PM

jr...
Doesn't ring a bell...I moved up to the PNW back in 92 and so much has changed in So Cal. There are so many nurseries in the South Orange Co and San Diego areas...Next time I'm down there I'll get a Double Double from IN-N-Out and look him up! Love nursery hoppin...Can't remember the name of a nursery inland San Diego that had some 24 inch boxed Brahea armatas for a hundred bucks that were silver blue..

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 03:25 PM

jr....Is it out Ortega Hwy?

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 03:27 PM
That's funny

If they are what I think they are, they came from some folks that are VERY close to me, originally grown in Valley Center, Ca. on their ranch specifically for the nurseries down there.
Small world indeed.:lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 03:30 PM
I don't think so but

I will find out the name and address for you unless Jorge sees this. I lived out Ortega highway for quite a few years before moving to Valley Center before moving to Baja. :lol:
Did a lot of construction in them that hills.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 03:33 PM

I could swear the town started with a Q?

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.