Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Beauty is in the eye
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 01:10 PM
Beauty is in the eye

Carol and I spent some time in Cabo San Lucas this time down. We had a lot of fun as well as a wonderful meal in one of the tourist restaurants, saw a really nice art exhibit and dealt with bamboo stuff.
What this is about is people though. While we were eating along the malecon, we were noticing the many cruise ship passengers and tourists wandering around and I noticed that they were all "ugly".:lol:
Carol was commenting that they must all be from Iowa or Ohio or the many other places we generally make fun of.
I was thinking about exactly that when it dawned on me. These are what Humans look like when they aren't from southern california and havent had their knees, faces or nalgas lifted and not everyone looks like the tv characters
we hold in such high esteem.

Humans! Unchanged, unadulterated real life people. And they were having fun too! Go figure.

:lol::lol::lol:
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2005 at 02:54 PM
wait a second....

you saw regular people out in public...i really find that hard to believe,living here in so.cal. i think i see a regular average person about once a year.....mostly what i do see is a bunch of hollywood wanna-bees,for instance youve got the soccer moms who look like Britney Spears(i'm talking 40 and 50 yr. old women)...youve got the rapper wanna-be's with their BLING-BLING overly shiny cars blasting this boring but very profane rap music and youve got this whole huge group of people who drive around on the weekends with there brand new surfboards on there brand new SUV's trying to look like they're having fun while theyre stuck in traffic but really looking more like pitiful slaves to there shiny overpriced possessions....seeing a regular person enjoying life,now thats like a breath of fresh air:lol::lol:
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 08:31 AM
the "bubble"

after re-reading my own post i realized i was painting a very dismal picture of the very place where i live which is actually beautiful and home to alot of really cool people,the real problem being is that its kind of a safety net....whenever we(or anyone I know)go on trips we call it "leaving the bubble"....this place sometimes does make you feel like youre living in a TV show,which for a person like me is kind of depressing.....whats funny is when I talk to people around here about baja sometimes they will say,is it "safe"? which gets me to wondering why does everything have to be so safe,i mean isnt the point of life to get out there and live,explore,adventure,etc..
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 08:52 AM

California is the best place in the world not to Live.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 09:30 AM
JR/Eat Dirt

Now you can understand why I wanted the title 'NORMAL' Nomad. I surely do enjoy myself and I sure ain't no Hollywood Wantabe.

I totally agree that when people attempt to be 'safe' all of the time they really miss the meaning of life--and that it is meant to be lived with all of its warts.

Our government restricts all of us far to much. That is more than likely one of the driving forces that causes nuts like us to live in or go to Baja as often as possible.

Hell, I just read a plea from some nurse to have the Fed's get involved in the 'obesity crisis'. Cradle to Grave is not just a saying.

Thank 'somebody' that we are not afraid of our Baja and that we can still pretty much do our own thing there.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 5-3-2005 at 09:37 AM
Hey Bernie

Living in a tent a good portion of the time, I eat a LOT of dirt!
I don't have a roof over the kitchen yet so basically every bite has dirt from the mangos growing above it.:lol: And I like it!
It had been so long since I saw real people running around doing something besides getting drunk and falling off the bluff that I forgot there actually were any besides the Mexicans.
And, you are a real people Bernie so don't take that personally!:lol:
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 10:25 AM
Is it safe?

The answer to that question, as Dustin Hoffman said in "Marathon Man," is no, absolutely not, it's not safe.

It's very dangerous.

There's these things flying around at night that eat goats and puppies and babies and whatnot, so you shouldn't drive or even go outside after sundown. Unless you want to get into a head-on collision with a bus with no headlights going 98 mph on the wrong side of the highway. Just hunker down under your binky and your mosquito net and pray for dawn.

Even daylight driving is dangerous. If you get a traffic ticket for going 60 mph instead of 60 kph (who reads those signs anyway?), you actually have to go to the police station to pay it. Can you believe that? And there's a constant risk of getting arrested because you don't have a tourist visa or current vehicle registration or car insurance because, I mean really, who has time to deal with all of that crap?

Even if you risk it all to get up and go out, what'll you eat? They cook everything in or on top of trash cans, and the food, omygawd, sheeps' heads, pig snouts, corn fungus, probably dog and cat for all I know. Forget about food protected from spoilage by refrigeration and get used to warm mayonnaise. And don't be fooled by the Starbucks signs. Those are not Starbucks-authorized operations, so lord knows what's in that nonfat caramel latte. And you can't bring any food with you -- they'll take it all away and spray you and your car with deadly poison.

Once you're down there, you might as well be deep in the Amazon Basin when it comes to communicating with the civilized world. Those three or four bars you'll see on your cell phone in many places are totally meaningless. Mexican cell phone service is completely random and unpredictable, so if you really want to check your voicemail you might be forced to go into a store (where they speak S-p-a-n-i-s-h) and buy a calling card to use at -- gasp! -- a pay phone. Be sure to wash the handset first.

Going anywhere off the beaten path? Count on getting stranded. The toughest off road tires and suspensions turn to pudding down there as soon as you get off the highway. Even the cactus can puncture tires. Why do you think there are so many mechanics and tire repair joints? Not that any of them are reliable -- how many Mr. Goodwrench signs do you see? Oh, those rumors about the gas having water in it? I heard third-hand that they're all true.

How about camping? Are you nuts? Don't even get me started on the bugs and other vermin -- scorpions in your boots, annual tarantula stampedes, earwigs under (and in) your sleeping bag, deadly rattlesnakes that don't even have rattles. There are rodents everywhere. And bats. Lots of them.

Okay, forget camping, maybe you're going down for the water sports. Think it's safe in the water? HA! Sea urchins, stingrays, sculpins, jellyfish, GREAT . . . WHITE . . . SHARKS! Tide pools? Deadly. Sneaker waves and riptides'll grab you by one toe and suck you halfway to Chile. Hell, not even the beach is safe. If you don't get eaten alive by sand fleas and no-see-ums, or run over by drag racers, you're liable to be shot by drug runners.

And the final indignity is the dozens of military checkpoints in the middle of nowhere that you have to go through just to get home. If you're lucky, the vicious twelve-year old machine gun toting vigilantes at these checkpoints won't plant any drugs or guns on you, and will let you pass only after completely dismantling your RV, setting the Suzuki Sidekick you were towing on fire, taking your children hostage, and worst of all, stealing your all-in-one phone, flashlight, PDA, digital camera, MP3/DVD player, swiss army knife and fat separator.

Me, I just tell 'em to stay in the bubble, like the boy in that movie with John Travolta.
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
California is the best place in the world not to Live.

I am a fourth generation Californio and this is where I will stay. Our current locale is especially nice because we are 30 minutes north of the border, ten minutes from an international airport and in a few hours we can be skiing the Utah mountains, surfing the Hawaiian beaches, golfing the Arizona desert, dining at a waterfront Seattle restaurant, sipping a Irish coffee with a nice view of the Golden Gate, scarfing down some almejas or tacos de pesacdo or carne asada at one of our 37 favorite stands between Playas and Maneadero or I can throw my board in the back of the truck and be surfing world famous breaks 5 minutes from the house and then for culture there's..........hey I have to get back to work so I can afford to go play!
Everybody has to live somewhere.

California is the place for me!:P

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 10:47 AM

Kalifornia, uber alles (nod to the DKs, not Arnie).
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 11:04 AM
That's good Gato

but unless you are a collector of frequent flyer miles, you may consider moving to one of those places you have to go to have fun rather than having to travel to them:light:
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 11:17 AM

Se?or JR

Trust me amigo I have fun wherever I am, including home sweet home.

I live here so I can do ALL of it.

Some day I may want to settle down and spend the majority of my time in one place or the other, but for now it's a big ,big world and I want to see as much of it as I can.

I travel because I can and for those who can't. I am a lucky son of a gun!

The wife and I just spent the last ten days seeing and going to places in Baja we had never been. It was a great week of discovery!

Can hardly wait for the next trip!

MAGA

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 11:37 AM
Good on ya Amigo

Keep up the good work!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 11:55 AM
back to the ugly people.....

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

JR said:
What this is about is people though. While we were eating along the malecon, we were noticing the many cruise ship passengers and tourists wandering around and I noticed that they were all "ugly".

16 yrs ago we bailed out of So Cal so we could raise our family in a "mellower" state. We were amazed at all the ugly people in our new environment. Was it lack of smog or gridlock, fast food junkies or what?

Actually, here it was a lack of vanity or concern. The attire of choice: hogwashers. It seems that mindset has spread to the rest of the country and perhaps half the planet. There are so many fat people now that it doesn't take much beauty to stand out in the crowd, unless of course if you are Kirsty Alley, who just loves to be cute and FAT.

Today confusion says: "fat must be beautiful because nobody wants to be ugly".

What kills me is the way fat people sneer at the lean ones now. It is so common to be fat here that all the jokes are beamed at the skinny guy, as if HE has the problem.

Let's face it. The corporate food processors right on down to the cafes are forcing sh_t down our throats and cashing in on our lazy habits. i.e.: ready to eat prepared food.

The answer is simple:

Transfats, fillers, thickeners in the shape of human beings.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 02:06 PM

We went on a cruise last year with a large group of friends and family. We had fun and saw some parts of the Caribbean we had not seen. The best part was the boost to my ego as I walked the decks and realized that I was in better shape then 95 % of the people on board! :lol:

The other nice thing was that you could ALWAYS get a treadmill at the window when you went for your workout! No waiting,step right up! :P

MAGA

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 5-3-2005 at 02:12 PM
I'd better explain

that when I said "ugly", it had nothing to do with scars, birthmarks, size, weight or acne.
It had to do with the real people who are the majority of this planet. I guess you could say that those "ugly" people I was referring to were "unpretentious" rather than ugly!

But, on a side note, who wants to see a bunch of "unpretentious" people dancing at the Bada Bing!:lol::lol::lol:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 07:14 PM

Meet the girls!:biggrin:

http://www.clubbadabing.com/

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO

Explain this to stupid 'ol me, por favor.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by DanO

Explain this to stupid 'ol me, por favor.
its a song from a punk band in the 80's called the Dead Kennedys,actually they play it on 91X all the time

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.