Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Stay Safe
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-6-2005 at 07:26 AM
Stay Safe

A while back we were talking about the risks in life, but this is nuts.

Union Tribune 5-6-05

Man grabbed from upscale Tijuana club . A team of more that 10 heavily armed men, masked and dressed in black, stormed the exclusive Club Campestre and grabbed a man who was trying to elude them?????.Ernesto Santillana, secretary of public safety, said that they appear to be ex-police officers from all three levels of government??These are very professional people???..Last year Tijuana experienced 355 homicides and in the first four months of this year ---163 homicides.

Last week it from a restaurant in Rio Zone where a man was abducted in the same manner and later found beaten and strangled.

I guess the tourists don't have to worry because these guys are 'professionals.'
I no longer wander about Tijuana.

STAY SAFE Amigo?s

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 5-6-2005 at 07:38 AM

You suppose most of these killings are in drug related circles? I do. The tourist is not the aim of most of these killings. Damn tweekers.

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2005 at 04:46 AM

Unfortunately, the kidnapped man is a cousin of a friend of mine at work and the situation is obviously grim considering there has been no ransom call and recently another similar event took place that ended in a homicide. My friend does not know of any organized crime connections with her cousin but as she points out...you never know what could have been going on. In any event, whatever the circumstances, the rising violence is disturbing as the problem of being at the "wrong place at the wrong time" can and has happened to local residents during these abductions.

We'll see how this event unfolds and hope for the best...
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-7-2005 at 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
A while back we were talking about the risks in life, but this is nuts

Yeah, but look at the plus side:

It will now be easier to get a good tee time.

Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 5-8-2005 at 06:10 PM
Dave

True!!!
But they found the last guy---he was alll choked up also.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2005 at 09:03 PM
No Laughing on Mother's Day

So, the latest victim is found dead on the side of a busy TJ road and today, as a mom on Alta CA's Mother's Day...2 days before Baja California, I ask you to try to pause before you put humor on a missing man, now dead as his mom passes this Mother's Day in mourning. Sure, he may have been running in the wrong circles, maybe his family knew, maybe not...I don't know. I guess what I want to convey is laughing at another's crisis hit me when I read "the tee time" comment. I see my friend, a cousin of the murdered man, cope with this crisis and it's no longer a distant story so joking about it now seems cruel. Sorry to go on but when you're indirectly witness to what this one extended family in TJ is experiencing it makes you ask others for reflection about it...what if it was your relative or child??. Believe me the golf line is humorous when it's part of some fictional joke but not when it's attached to someone's life crisis. Solamente son los sentimientos sinceros de una madre..
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 5-8-2005 at 09:38 PM
Y que le hacemos?

some of my personal friends are gone, they either took another route or destiny had different plans for them. Adolfo F. was my firend and so was Ivan E., but then again so was Emilio V. and Alex H. and many others. We all had fun, we all did and did'nt. Destiny sent me in another direction than that of other friends that had the same level of education, parents, money, etc. Some of my friends have high government positions or have had them, some are businessmen/women, some persued their career, some ended up working at a job. I had the opportunity to hire one of them as my employee. I have been to La Paz, were at least 32 of us were studying tourism at the time and only myself and Myrna had persued that industry. And guess what, I hav'nt been involved in tourism since Feb 2004. Funny (or not) I got into a red cab in Tijuana, the ruta fija cabs and EL Fily was the driver, what's up with that? We used to compete for the same girlfriend. Yes very traumatic when we hear the news, OH MY GOD, we all scream or we wonder why him/her, but as time goes by we figure (those close or involved), puta, que mala onda, pero ni pedo, arrieros somos y en el camino andamos. Que descansen en paz los ultimos dos. There is a song by (the now enemy combatant:lol:) Cat Stevens that says "But I might die tonight"
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-8-2005 at 10:13 PM

I don't think any of us have an answer as to when and why our moment to leave this world happens and we all get there whether through our own choices, accidents or nature. My main feeling was I can't poke fun at another family's tragedy. My friend, a cousin of Ivan, said many of the same sentiments you expressed. She took a different route too and teaches now. She told me before his body was found that she was resigned to him already being dead. Then, she talked about being cousins in TJ, his family and his mother. She was mourning their loss and I think that there's a dignity to that. You're right, we can be done at any time and it may be the road we chose or really crappy misfortune. Last month, I helped at a accident north of Loreto where a Mexican family of 8 had a multiple-rollover crash. Everyone was thrown from the van, no one probably had a seatbelt on and when we were checking the kids, a baby was trapped under the car, already dead. Like the crime violence, we can cry why and get weary from it...and wait for it to happen again. But for each of those families, I respect their moment to mourn what was and will not be
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 5-8-2005 at 10:55 PM
I super respect

I read your story here, it realy got to me , but I dont always reply. I don't remember the part about the baby under the van but in any case, we (the entire fernadetijuana family) were on that highway, and when we got back from a great trip I read your accident post. At that time I visualized the many, many, many times I was doing 90 on a 25 zone, just before Jesus Maria for example, and I rememeber the check point you mention in your story (both ways). You might not believe this, but probably because of the impact your story had on me, or maybe not, on our last trip, last Thursday for Disneyland's 50th (witch was great) on the way back at about 1 or 1:30AM, for the first time in my life other than use the restrooms, I stoped to sleep at the San Onofre rest area. Mrs. ferna had no problem with that, since she was tired too. I woke up at 4 AM and got to Tijuana safe and sound. Now I know that a few hours sleep, even if it's on the side of the road makes a big difference.
saludos
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2005 at 07:58 AM

After I wrote my response to your posting last night, I was wondering what you may be thinking and I was surprised this morning to see that you had read my earlier posting about the accident. This past month has been a strange one for me because it's as if my Baja connections are somehow sending me messages about the value of life...after seeing that accident, it's impossible not to take pause about the "what ifs" of traveling the highway and the significance of each of the road side shrines. If reading about it gave you pause too, then both of us owe that family something I suppose. Thier misfortune has somehow made us reflect on the decisions we make everyday and their impact on those we love. So, I applaud you for stopping to get some rest on your trip back to TJ and I also appreciate your thoughts about these difficult topics. Cuidate mucho!!
Baja Bernie

[*] posted on 5-9-2005 at 09:42 AM
lindsay

I was not attempting to get a laugh. I was trying to get attention for this ruthless and thoughtless attack/s on civilization. As a retired cop I don't care if the victim is a crook or not---to me the offense is one against society and cannot be condoned if we wish to remain civilized.
Sorry that you took it in any other way.

lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-9-2005 at 10:00 AM
I understand

It's OK. You did not post the tee time comment and I know that, in general, we all make flip remarks about situations when we don't have a personal connection. Your post was just about the story itself and I was just responding to another nomad posting the tee time comment that we sometimes forget there is a real family attached to this tragedy and even if we don't know them, we need to pause before we write these types of comments. That's all.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 09:30 AM
Bottom Line

Stay in your own country if it makes you feel safer!
PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 10:22 AM

:fire:JR: "Bottom Line

Stay in your own country if it makes you feel safer!"

Well, not only is that out of context, it's a gosh darnn stupid thing to say.
I shall add that the "tee time" comment fits right in w/that statement.

[Edited on 5-11-2005 by PacO]

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 10:30 AM

JR! Its time for the Woodshed Again!!!!!

You of all people to make a Scarcastic Staement litke that is unbeleivable.
Who do you think You are??????

Q person who is hurting for a family member, trying to get some comfort has to put up with the likes of a Dumb Statement.

Well I have a "DUMB" Statement:
You have not yet learned from all those good Mexicano People "compassion". JR Are you really doing all those things or are you making them Up?
I cannot imagine being around all the good Mountain People of Baja and still being so Dumb.

It is time for you to go to Costa Rico and try someplace new, these Americanos have got your number completely!!!!!

Skeet/Loreto
The Ole Fart
Anon The Preacher

And a lot of other names put on me by BB

"In God I Trust"
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 11:00 AM

JR....always the opportune thing at the opportune time!:yes::yes::yes:
Safety in your own country? Did anyone see the shootout between the LA County Sheriffs in Compton Monday with the crackhead in the Suburban? The cops shot over a hundred rounds at the car and hit the guy twice...seems they need more target practice for hitting a target. Looked like a wildwest shootout!

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 11:08 AM
JR?????? There you go again!!!!

To me, your statement does not make any sense. What to you mean? I feel safer in my house----does that mean I should not go outside where I may be in an accident? What a strange statement (and belief?), at least to me.

Are we not allowed by you to say things we feel without being told by you that we are somehow dumb, or ignorant?

Our perception of our safety is something that you feel is open to your negative opinions and derogatory statements??

Strange indeed!!!!

I, for one, do not feel as "safe" in Mexico as I do in the USA, even after 50 years of going to Mexico------so, that means that somehow I am flawed?? Wow, what do I do with that? What difference does it make if my perception is not true----it is very real to me, and I would speculate it is very real to a lot of others. I live with it----why can't you? (-:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 11:13 AM
90 shots and 3 hits on the purp, is what I heard

The adrenalin was a pumpin at that scene!!!! I can't help feeling that you don't do things like that in amongst the houses, but what do I know.

Things like that do NOT make ME feel un-safe, tho.
Cincodemayo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 11:17 AM

Barry....it took that many shots and ONLY 3 hits? Seems like the Sheriff's Dept. needs more eye tests. Should have read 5 shots fired not 90!
But the guy was all methed out ramming cop cars...

Don\'t get mad...
Get EVEN.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 11:20 AM
The "range" versus the "real thing"

I am bettin that most of those deputies shoot "expert" on the range------things get a little hectic when shooting at live folks, but I agree that 90 to 3 is a pretty sad ratio of shots to hits. I am just concerned that most of those wild shots went into houses in the background----not a good scene.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.