BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: airplane info needed....
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2005 at 08:57 AM
airplane info needed....

While down at San Carlos a private plane came in on the Solo Sports runway.....went down to check it out....twin engine turbine with 4 blade props....5 windows on the body... pilot said 6 passengers with cargo space in rear...cruise at 250 MPH....and can go to 30,000 feet.....tail wings were very high off the ground....claimed to be a commercial real estate developer from L.A. down to kite surf...what was this and how much could this cost?....sure beats driving......
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 5-10-2005 at 09:19 AM

Sounds like it might be a Cessna Conquest.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P63632D0B

You can get this one for about $1.4 million.

++Ken++
Tucker
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2005 at 10:15 AM

Wow, that one is 22 years old.................new ones must be out of sight!

\"I think it would be a good idea.\"
-- Mahatma Gandhi, when asked what he thought of Western civilization
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2005 at 11:49 AM

Not exactly the same...c-ckpit begins at the very front of the plane (no extended nose)...and the tail has the small wings up very high and not down low as in photo..... but does look similar....

engines where 750 HP ...each....could fly from Carlos to Ensenada in 45 minutes and from Ensenada to LA in 45 minutes....
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2005 at 12:06 PM

That's a Beechcraft King-Air. I think they are in the same price range as the Conquest.

++Ken++
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2005 at 01:24 PM

surfer jim:

I'm not aware of any twin-engine turboprop with a snub nose. All the ones I have seen have a sleek extended nose like the Conquest or King-Air. There is usually a large luggage compartment in the nose. The 250mph speed is pretty typical. By the way, since you sound like you are destined to buy one in the near future you should be aware that the "tail wings" are called "horizontal stabilizers". The moveable control surfaces at the trailing edge of the horizontal stabilizers are called "elevators". They control pitch (nose up, nose down). You need to know this stuff before you buy one :D

++Ken++

[Edited on 5-10-2005 by Ken Bondy]

[Edited on 5-10-2005 by Ken Bondy]
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2005 at 02:29 PM

Your right Ken, he may to be a bit of a novice if he asks a dealer for a plane with those high tail thingies.
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2005 at 02:40 PM

License, what license? we don't need no stinkin' license!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2005 at 03:13 PM

I say if a man is going to buy a million dollar airplane he damn well should know the right name for those tail thingies.
PabloS
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2005 at 05:49 PM

I think if a guy is going to buy a million $$ airplane the professional pilot he will hire will surely know the right name for those tail thingies. :lol::lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-10-2005 at 05:55 PM

Be nice, that is 'Surfer Jim', not 'Capt. Jim'!

At Alfonsina's I saw a push-pull... pretty awesome (twin props, one in front of the body, and one at the back).

Can you post a photo of one of them? Are they good STOL (Short Take Off and Landing) planes for Baja bush runways (landing between the ditches or on roads or beaches)??:biggrin:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2005 at 06:18 PM

David that's probably a Cessna 337 Skymaster:

http://www.acf.clara.net/scale/scale-pics-1/high-wing/cessna...

Great airplane but it never caught on commercially.

We were just funnin' gently with surfer jim, his "tail wings" were just irresistible to a pilot :biggrin:

++Ken++
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-10-2005 at 06:41 PM

Yah, that's the one... actually, I think there were TWO at Alfie's that trip?!
Thanks Ken...

By the way, about my OLD slides (1960's Baja trips)... I haven't found them yet... but when I do, I will contact you. Gracias!

Hey, can you come down for the Baja Cactus event and come with us to Mision Santa Maria...? Although, you might be a bit 'wide' for that road!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-10-2005 at 08:39 PM

grover - beautiful shot of the Skymasher. I always liked them, probably a genetic flaw. As long as this is drifting, here's a shot of my beautiful old Baron at Punta San Francisquito:
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 05:07 AM
Drifting slightly starboard.....

but we are still in Baja....anybody fly this company in the early days? Cortez Air...that was some adventure! I was designated co-pilot (right seat ballast) on one flight from Serinadad to Ontario, Ca. Got a little alarmed and P-O'ed when I found out pilot had whiskey in his coffee!... He wouldn't share!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 05:18 AM
Rare visitor to Baja......at Posada, Conception Bay....

An unusual airplane for Baja...this flew in one day many years ago and later I saw it at the Hermosillo airport. Float planes are everywhere where we live in the summer, but very rare in Baja.

[Edited on 5-11-2005 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Don Jorge
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 06:54 AM
Wanna Caravan to Gonzaga?

�And it never failed that during the dry years the people forgot about the rich years, and during the wet years they lost all memory of the dry years. It was always that way.�― John Steinbeck

"All models are wrong, but some are useful." George E.P. Box

"Nature bats last." Doug "Hayduke" Peac-ck
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 07:15 AM
"The old "MixMaster"

Short Story on the 337 MixMaster.

Had a Pilot doing an IFR Desent into Oakland Calif airport, lose the Rear Prop, which made two large Cuts in the Booms when the Prop Departed.
The pilot kept on coming and made a sucessfull landing at Oakland. Good Airplane but you have to be carefull if you need to make a "Hot Start" with the Dead engine being the Rear one to Start.

Opinion: Best Airplane for Baja;;Cessna 180

Skeet/Loreto
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 07:52 AM

da plane !!....da plane !!.....GROVER got it....that was the one I saw.....remember seeing "king" somewhere on the side of it......believe King Air 200 from what I have read.....

tried to find what these cost but can't find any prices anywhere....got a guess?......

I like race cars/trucks and thought these "toys" that can cost $100,000+ are for "rich guys".....but it looks like these planes make ANY off-road race car look cheap.....:o

now about those "back wings"....OK ...horizonal stabilizers....I was at work and reading some responses but couldn't reply but was getting a good laugh from it...:lol:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 08:29 AM
LAKE BUCCANEER

I used to fly a LAKE BUCCANEER "land on it's belly" amphibian out of Manteo, Cape Hatteras, in North Carolina and always thought it would be a great plane for the beaches of Baja------------anybody ever see one down there??

It is a pusher, and tough as nails, with the engine on a pylon over the fuselage facing backwards. Funny looking airplane, but fun to fly. I used to ferry folks up and down the east coast from the Cape to Key West, and all points in-between. Landed in the Everglades all the time, too, on the little lakes-----what a kick. Not very fast, but cheap to own.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.