BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: airplane info needed....
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 08:31 AM
Skymaster

Our friend Rick Bell keeps his " Mixmaster " here @ El Vergel. We flew to Mulege and Loreto with him. Very smooth ride but a gas hog. He even let me drive. He recently re-powered w/ 330 HP turbos and now works out to about 5 MPG. Avgas is expensive @ Loreto. I spent $ 285 to fill it up. It was well worth it for the view of the beautiful coastline and the pig roast was great............Rob
PS> Take offs and landings @ El Vergel are exciting as gravel strip is only 1500 ' long with houses on the departure end and Chelo's Restaurant (w/ tall antenna) @ the approach end. Even with STOL add-ons it's a rush.

[Edited on 5-11-2005 by BajaRob]
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 11:48 AM

That's more what I had in mind...:lol:
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 02:08 PM

The videos on that sight above are wild. The B52 model plane (22 litres of JetA1 fuel) and the video named O my god are entertaining. :biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
I know a few million could be a challenge for some of our posters, so in the interests of aviation I have found a more economical alternative:

Luggage capacity looks a little tight but I bet the seat-of-the-pants feeling is off-the-dial...

http://www.mfarchive.modelstuff.co.uk/mf089/airspace.htm

Nice little wing thingy!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 07:31 AM
ha!!!

that was perhaps his finAL picture as a living human bean.....

1500' at El Vergel?? better be a windy cold day if i attempt to get out of there after i get in! Always wanted to drop in there though, but my personal limit on dirt in baja is 1700'

and i don't dice with my minimums!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 08:09 AM
Arnold Sez...

If you can read the text on Senterfitt's Airports of Baja, Arnold measured it just over 2,000 feet... But, that was in 1987.

You will note there is NO town of Ejido Delicias, nor pavement on the then nearly new graded road, when this photo was taken.

Mike, check it in Galen's book (1,906') too... Fly in over Memorial Day, and I will pick you up... eat at Chela's at the end of the runway, drive out to Shell Island, 6 miles north.

[Edited on 5-12-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 08:29 AM
Paved road truncated the runway, perhaps

David, if the new paved road is in the same location as the graded gravel road in the photo, perhaps it truncated the runway leaving it as the now reported 1500'. Most of the "bush" type aircraft used in Baja can handle 1500' with a fair headwind to help them out, but still that is pretty hairy, and certainly the mins. that any reasonable pilot would tackle. Personally, I am with Capt. Mike-----1700' min.. and I would "pucker" at that.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 08:35 AM
Hey Mike!

If you would finally "Get Smart" and get you a Cessna 180 you could sure reduce your Limits and have a Hellva Airplane!

Skeet/Loreto
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 5-12-2005 at 03:29 PM
now now....skeeter, i will give up my

comanche when they pull my dead cold fingers from around the yoke......and that's no yoke, pardner....it's a wheel!

the 180 is great, but i like to get places FAST amigo. i take my bird into la purisima a lot, 1700' also to the closest strip now to scorp pee on bay, which is cadeje, also short at 1900'

memorial weekend we'll be at the ol' casa in mulege sipping on alex's margs and slow cooking pigs, little ones.....the tender kinda baby ones....:bounce:

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
David, if the new paved road is in the same location as the graded gravel road in the photo, perhaps it truncated the runway leaving it as the now reported 1500'. Most of the "bush" type aircraft used in Baja can handle 1500' with a fair headwind to help them out, but still that is pretty hairy, and certainly the mins. that any reasonable pilot would tackle. Personally, I am with Capt. Mike-----1700' min.. and I would "pucker" at that.

I understand the need for caution... The graded road is now the paved road, in the same place... They even bowed it west so as to not shorten the runway...

Just north of El Vergel you see the highway again vee'd out to not cut off La Roca's (former) runway... Alas, since the gov't started charging land owners to have runways $1,000 US a year, many have closed. Bahia Santa Maria and Coloradito also had runways...

I can't get Capt. Mike to even land at Munoz' strip next door to Camp Gecko (3,000', but sandy)... Again, I don't have a $$$$ airplane to wreck, and he does... or doesn't want to, that is!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 06:52 PM
Runway at south end of BOLA

David----if that runway you speak of is the same one that I remeber, it IS very sandy, and tho I have not looked at it for about 10 years I did not like the looks of it at that time. Capt. Mike knows what he is talking about. Can't believe that Munoz used to land there with his heavy aircraft---wow, what I guy!!!! I have never quite understood completely where Gecho Camp is-----never seen it. We always camped at La Gringa, or just west of La Gringa, on the beach. Last time there was two years ago, but did not get down to the southbay area.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 07:40 PM
Camp Gecko

Here's a shot so that maybe you can see relationship with the intersectioncoming into LA Bay and Camp Gecko

Well,It didn't like 50kb, so will try one a little smaller

[Edited on 5-13-2005 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2005 at 10:09 PM
South BOLA runway

Wow, what a great shot. Thank you very much, BajaLou. The runway I remember must be just south of Gecho (that is if I remember correctly)
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2005 at 05:20 AM
the problem with Munoz is

that after rains it gets a bunch of little vados, and some can be 6" deep or more - and no one hardly ever maintains it, grades it whatever too bad, then there are the ROCKS - cause it would make a great access to Doc's place.
Jack Mack, el jefe de baja bush pilotos has taken his shrike in , a year or so ago and reported crappy conditions, he put it in between vados, quite a feat, used 1500', and had a dicey take off.
it ain't worth wrecking a plane over when you have a paved strip north of town.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2005 at 05:23 AM

and......i am wheels up in one hour with HENDU and co. for some mulege fishing......anyone in the area stop on over, you know where....yee haw!!

El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2005 at 08:16 AM

Nice thread goin' here...I wanted to chime in about the El Vergel strip. It seems busy enough. Mostly smaller Cessna's, and the Skymaster lives there. The Army had it ditched a few years back to prevent landings but it looks to be in great shape now thanks to the Skymaster. We were down in August some years back and I witnessed a large twin taildragger land, turn around and take off right away. A beautiful plane. Looked to be all shiny silver. No tail markings, letters, identification of any sort! What was that all about I wonder??? Uh huh!

I'm headed down there this weekend (Friday the 13th of May) for a quick three-dayer from Hermosa Beach for fun in the 90 degree plus sun and a swim in the Sea of Cortez. Any aviators willing to "risk" it from the South Bay or Orange County please e-me. I'll share expenses, provide logding, and breakfast/dinner/caguamas will be on me. elvergel@hotmail.com.

Ciao Amici,
Vern
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2005 at 08:23 AM

I understand Mike...

Barry, Munoz' runway (north end) is about 50 yards from Camp Gecko property line...

Lou, again great satellite/GPS image. The paved runway (built in front of 'cross-wind canyon' can be seen in the top of your image.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2005 at 08:33 AM

Here is Arnold's page for Munoz' strip (in 1987). The length was 3,915'. Galen's book 'Fly Baja!' (1998) has it at 3,347'! His photo looking south shows how close Camp Gecko's palapas are to the runway.

Neal Johns
Super Nomad

Mood: In love!

[*] posted on 5-13-2005 at 10:33 AM

You young kids don't know what a Mixmaster really is! I had one in my back yard at the Palm Springs Airport when I was a kid.:lol:

Who can name it?

[Edited on 5-13-2005 by Neal Johns]

My motto:
Never let a Dragon pass by without pulling its tail!
Mike Supino
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2005 at 11:27 AM

The Good Ol' Douglas xb-42
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.