Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: BOLA weather in mid August
BAJADICTO

[*] posted on 5-13-2005 at 02:56 PM
BOLA weather in mid August

Hello everyone,

My name is Juan Ornelas and I am a new Nomad. I will be changing my user name soon (BajaRunner), as another Nomad already has a similar one. Me and my friend Alejandro Licea went on a trip to Bahia de los Angeles on July 2003 and fell in love with the place. We were planning a trip to go this July weekend. Unfortunately, Alejandro has kidney stones and it may postpone the trip. Can anyone inform me how the weather is on mid August. Thank you in Advance for your courtesy.

PS: You guys all rock!!!! I love all your stories and experiences. I am currently studying Tourist Attraction and hope to someday tell great stories and help the people of Baja as you guys are. God Bless You All.:biggrin:
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2005 at 04:26 PM

I hope you like it HOT! Maybe 105, to 109....but, the good news is you will have the wonderful Sea of Cortez to jump into (hope you like to swim)

Bring tents with both front and back door (it's much to hot to sleep inside unless you are in a hotel room that has air).....

Juan, would you be the same Juan that we met (myself, Mike and Maryann H., David K.,.....several others? Doesn't sound like him, but, thought I'd ask.......

Any which way, welcome to the board!
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 04:01 PM

Bring an air conditioner...:o and a big block of ICE to sit on.....:lol:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 05:06 PM
HOT !!!!!

Juan-----We are not kidding---it will be really hot. If you have ever been down to the Imperial Valley in far SE California, like El Centro, in the summer, that is about what it will be like. (I know because I lived in El Centro for 13 years)

If at all possible, try to put off the trip until October. It is beautiful in October, but it may be a little windy, or really windy, tho sometimes it is perfect in October in BOLA (Bahia de los Angeles), you just never know ahead of time. Still, even with the wind, I love it there in October. Water is super warm then, and the temps are will within the "perfect" zone.

Now, after re-reading your post and realizing that you were there in July, then I believe that it will be about the same in August as July-----HOT !!!!! But if that is what you are looking for then GO FOR IT, and have a wonderful time.

Tell us about your trip when you get back.
PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 06:45 PM

Hey Juan,
it's hot and humid. Just perfect. Hopefully Alex is OK. I've seen those kidney stones passed and they obviously hurt like hell. I'll be there in August myself and you can't ask for better water. And fishing. Bring the snorkel gear and something to float on and you'll be stoked.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 09:29 AM
My experiences in BOLA

.....in even early July have me avoiding the area in August.

Everyone is suggesting ways to cope with the heat and humidity during the day, but that's the EASY part. Just jump in the water and hang out under some shade with a breeze. Bring your own large shade structure that you can pitch wherever you see consistent breezes.

The hard part is staying comfy at night in 80-85 degrees with humidity to match. And occasionally, you will get a strong wind out of the west in the middle of the night that I have seen hit 107 (degrees, not knots). Yes, that's right 107 in the middle of the night! :o

But it was a dry heat...........:lol:

I have found tents become counterproductive in these conditions. Tents are unuseable as shade during the day and tents trap much heat within their nylon/no-see-um skin at night. Cots out in the open are the second best option at night.

The best option is Costa del Sol hotel :lol:

If you have the battery capacity to run a small inverter and power a 20 inch box fan, it can be very invaluable on the cots.

[Edited on 5-16-2005 by Hook]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 09:47 AM

I agree with Hook...I spent way too many hot days and weeks here in Bay of Conception...south of BOLA, near Mulege. There is NO escaping the heat at night...unless you can provide cooling for yourself or head for the A/C of the nearest hotel. I recorded 115 in the shade of my veranda. The beach in front of my house is too hot to swim in until you get out to at least 8 foot depths and dive down to the thermocline. My favorite way to cool off years ago in the summer was to stand under my 40ft-high watertower and let the tanks overflow and I had my own minature cooling Niagra falling onto my parched body. Of course, by the time you walked back to the casa, you were just as hot as when you started!

But hey, it's Baja...and you will have fun regardless! Bueno suete and keep cool.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 10:37 AM
Oh yeah, forgot to add!

For those hot sweaty nights, bring a large bottle of Shower to Shower body powder or any of the knockoffs that contain talcum powder and cornstarch. Take a cool shower just before bed, air dry and coat yourself liberally in the powder. It reduces the feeling of stickiness and makes it seem cooler.

It can also help if you rig a solar shower before bed so that you can use it during the night if its REALLY bad.

These sleeping conditions are not clothing optional........wearing ANYTHING to bed is NOT AN OPTION!!!!:o
BAJADICTO

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 02:35 PM
Late Reply.....Sorry, don't have internet access on weekends

Thank you all for the helpful detailed advise.:)

Debra: Yes!!!! It's me Juan......we met you and David K at a Taco Stand in BOLA. You were so kind to invite us to Camp Gecko, where we got a chance to try your Clam Chowder....:P..yummy. It is good to hear from you again. Say hi to all the gang; hope to see you soon.

Alejandro was just released from the hospital. The operation went accordingly and the stone was blasted out with ultrasound. He was released to recooperate at home. Thank you for the concerns.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-16-2005 at 03:03 PM
dont forget the ice cold pacifico!

a buddy and I once drove the dirt road from the turn-off at Chapala to Gonzaga Bay with a case of pacifico ballena's.... it was the first week of July and we had no a/c,all we had to cool us down were these ballenas and we drank almost all of them,i dont ever remember copping a buzz,i just remember being extremely hot....when we finally got to the beach we sat in the water with just our heads and our beers above the water..........needless to say we probaly wouldnt have lived thru the experience were it not for those Pacificos;);)
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

cool.gif posted on 5-17-2005 at 07:56 AM
better change that name soon or thebajarunner might get upset

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2005 at 08:07 AM

A large screen tent would be a good idea for a HOT summer trip. It would provide shade and just enough shelter for sleeping - keeps the bugs out, but allows total ventilation. Fewer tourists in summer too.
lewm
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2005 at 08:19 AM

It is definitly hot, but yellowfin tuna & dorado seem to enjoy that kind of weather & water. My brother uses an aluminum boat. Now there is something that gets hot in August.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-17-2005 at 12:19 PM
don't kid yourself.................

stay at los vientos where they have their own power plant for room AC at night, not affected when town shuts off the power at 10 pm or whenever that is.....

but you will catch fish then - beyond that why go to a place like that in the hot august??!!

i'd rather be at the pacific then..........................

or at least in my trailer that has ICE COLD AC!!

Pompano - we scored prettywell with Alejandro this past weekend...looked for you but nada Roger.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
mulege marv
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 5-17-2005 at 01:33 PM
weather in august ?

August !

Want what you have
BAJADICTO

[*] posted on 5-18-2005 at 08:19 AM
eetdrt88: How's the road from Chapala to Gonzaga

Alejandro and I are debating wether to go through HWY 1 or San Felipe. Obviously, HWY1 would be a much comfy ride, but how about the time to get there. Say for example, from Tijuana to BOLA vs. Mexicali to BOLA is it a big difference? My mother is from San Felipe and I know the road all the way to Puertecitos. My concern is the road from Puertecitos to Chapala.

Yeah!!! We'll make sure to take extra amo(pacifico). We won't wanna get cutt off guard. I bet a Pacifico never tasted better......the hotter the weather, the tastier an ice cold beer.:biggrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-18-2005 at 08:33 AM

Hola Juan... I was at the taco stand with Debra in L.A. Bay when you guys pulled up...

The road from Puertecitos to Hwy. 1 is better than the 20 miles north of Puertecitos of once paved road.

It will take you about 4 hours longer overall to go between home and L.A. Bay if you go via Hwy. 5, because of the 100 miles of dirt or holey road.

Did it last January: http://vivabaja.com/105

Good seeing you... Your Nomad name is a bit confusing... as we have 'thebajarunner' here. How about 'JuanBajaRunner' (in English, sounds like One Baja Runner)?

[Edited on 5-18-2005 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.