Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Holidays
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 03:08 PM
Holidays

There was some blather going on regarding Cinco de Mayo and who celebrated and how much of a holiday it was in Mexico. Mostly by gringos discussing the day.
It was pointed out to me that in Mexico, Mothers day is a national holiday, where they actually respect and spend time with their Mother's rather than just making the hallmark family, delivery services and florists wealthy.
Perhaps we as gringos have somewhat screwed up our priorities in life somewhere along the line? We all have Mother's I'm pretty sure. Yet we have a national holiday for Martin Luther King Day but not one to respect our own Mother's.
This would explain a lot when it comes to figuring out what happened to family values and morals in the u.s..:barf:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 03:16 PM

No sh_t Sherlock! It's very apparent. It(values), like Cinco de Mayo, only serves one purpose to corporate America.......to cash in on and make money on..... whatever a stupid gringo will fall for!
bajajudy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 03:20 PM

I am cutting and pasting this from one of my previous posts about Cinco de Mayo:

I have a friend who says it was dreamed up by the American greeting card industry. Americans wouldn t tolerate celebrating a holday in which they were defeated so defeating the French at Puebla seemed like a great thing for Mexican Americans to celebrate.

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 06:21 PM

:lol:
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
Perhaps we as gringos have somewhat screwed up our priorities in life somewhere along the line? We all have Mother's I'm pretty sure. Yet we have a national holiday for Martin Luther King Day but not one to respect our own Mother's.
This would explain a lot when it comes to figuring out what happened to family values and morals in the u.s..:barf:

Perhaps you need to check your facts.

Mothers day is a national holiday in the U.S. Fact is, the holiday originated in the States (1914) and was exported throughout the world, (even to Mexico).;D

PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 07:56 PM

Those stoopid fookin' gringos. Don't ya' just hate 'em?:moon:

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 08:10 PM

hmmmmm. is there a reason you picked on MLK day. why not 25 dec. or how about Mexico's independence day.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 09:19 PM

Because of the ignorant fool with a keyboard thet he (JR)is
PacO
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2005 at 09:59 PM

God forbid you would respect a man that extolled equality.... Maybe he can lambaste Cesar Chavez next.:lol:

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
No sh_t Sherlock! It's very apparent. It(values), like Cinco de Mayo, only serves one purpose to corporate America.......to cash in on and make money on..... whatever a stupid gringo will fall for!

Mother's Day festivities in the United States date back to 1872 when Julia Ward Howe (her other claim to fame was writing the lyrics for the "Battle Hymn of the Republic") suggested the day be dedicated to peace. Ms. Howe would hold organized Mother's Day meetings in Boston, Massachusetts ever year.

In 1907, Ana Jarvis, a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania school teacher, furthered the cause by beginning a campaign to establish a national Mother's Day. Ms. Jarvis persuaded her mother's church in Grafton, West Virginia to celebrate Mother's Day on the second anniversary of her mother's death, which happened to be on the 2nd Sunday of May that year. By the following year, Mother's Day was also being celebrated in Philadelphia. With all due respect to you Sir: " It has ZERO connection to corporate America

[Edited on 5-15-2005 by yankeeirishman]

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 09:47 AM

Some Motherly Advice...

Always change your underwear; you never know when you'll have an accident.

Don't make that face or it'll freeze in that position.

Be careful or you'll put your eye out.

What if everyone jumped off a cliff? Would you do it, too?

You have enough dirt behind those ears to grow potatoes!

Close that door! Were you born in a barn?

If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.

Don't put that in your mouth; you don't know where it's been!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by yankeeirishman
Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja

Mother's Day festivities in the United States date back to 1872 when Julia Ward Howe (her other claim to fame was writing the lyrics for the "Battle Hymn of the Republic") suggested the day be dedicated to peace. Ms. Howe would hold organized Mother's Day meetings in Boston, Massachusetts ever year.

In 1907, Ana Jarvis, a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania school teacher, furthered the cause by beginning a campaign to establish a national Mother's Day. Ms. Jarvis persuaded her mother's church in Grafton, West Virginia to celebrate Mother's Day on the second anniversary of her mother's death, which happened to be on the 2nd Sunday of May that year. By the following year, Mother's Day was also being celebrated in Philadelphia. With all due respect to you Sir: " It has ZERO connection to corporate America

[Edited on 5-15-2005 by yankeeirishman]

:lol: my point is not the fact that it's labeled a National Holiday.

It may very well be a National Holiday, and thanks for the history lesson. The point I was reflecting on was the Americans confusion about these "special" days.. It isn't so much as a day of remembering mom and showing our appreciation for being there for us. It has become a corporate blitz to make a buck on, similar to Cinco de Mayo. And although I did not hear too many references to"mom" on the boards , I am inclined to think that the true day for 'mom' has been skewed.. What JR said is real, our Mothers Days our not one of sentiment and love but more of a token day, much like "Noodle Day". It would be considered a "real" holiday if it was fed government recognized.

DO you think United Nations Day qualifies as a National Holiday? Hows about April Fools Day. Now, that is an important event in America don't you think.
Look at these National Hoildays

New Year's Day January 1st.
Birthday of Martin Luther King Third Monday in January
Inauguration Day January 20th every four years
Groundhog Day February 2nd
Valentine's Day February 14th
Washington's Birthday Third Monday in February since 1971
Inauguration Day March 4th every four years
St Patrick's Day March 17th
April Fool's Day April 1st
Mothers' Day Second Sunday in May
Armed Forces Day Third Saturday in May.
Memorial Day Last Monday in May since 1971
Flag Day June 14th.
Fathers' Day Third Sunday in June
Independence Day July 4th
Parents' Day Fourth Sunday in July
Labor Day First Monday in September
Grandparents' Day Sunday after Labor Day
Columbus Day Second Monday in October
United Nations Day October 24th
Halloween October 31st
Election Day Tuesday on or after November 2
Veterans Day November 11th
Thanksgiving Day Fourth Thursday in November
Christmas Day December 25th
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 12:45 PM
Hey Dave

and the family value impaired,, it related to the cinco de mayo thread. My point is that in Mexico, everyone gets the day off for Mother's Day. That's because of the respect that the Mother's deserve and everyone here, (away from the big cities) is aware of that respect. That's why they get to do it in person rather than sending cards and b.s. through a carrier.
Whereas, the u.s. has gone the same way as they have with everything else, making big money for the big corporations.
It has turned into a country where the citizens don't even remember what truth, honesty, and family values even are!
Oh well, at least you still have bank accounts and nice cars. That's always impressive. :lol:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 12:46 PM

Mother's Day has as much to do with respect four your (and other) mothers as YOU decide to put into it. It isn't the government nor corporate america that dictates how you handle it - It's entirely up to YOU.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 12:48 PM
My point being Lou

That's not true if you have to work on Sundays.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 01:00 PM

I agree with Lou too. I suppose that with all the lazy people in this country that can't muster the time and effort to express their love there is always a corporate entity waiting to help you out.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 01:01 PM
I'd say that

McDonalds pretty much verifies that!!!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 01:02 PM
JR Gringo

If there is anyone who personifies a Screwed-Up Gringo, it would certainly be the Bamboo Baron.

On another note, the first time I ever took my current wife to Baja over the Cinco de Mayo weekend, she was amazed as we drove through Mexicali and exclaimed " Look, they celebrate Cinco de Mayo down here too". Having been a Vons Market employee at that time for eight years, she thought it was something dreamed up by the Pochos (or Coors Brewing Co ?).
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 5-15-2005 at 01:04 PM
Yer probably right there Willy

I'll bet I'm the kinda guy you would just love to take out and use one of your P-nche weapons on . But, better save the ammo for your patriotic paranoia cavron.:moon:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2005 at 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
That's not true if you have to work on Sundays.

When you work is TOTALY imaterial to the way you honor someone you care about!!!!

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.