Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Vicente Fox's Comment about Blacks
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 12:08 PM

I honestly don't know how Fox gets around with one foot continuously stuck in his mouth.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by movinguy
Any thoughts on this?

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050630/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/mexico...

I'm not one for political correctness but not sure this was a great idea . . .:?:

These stamps are horrible. The full line of stamps were shown in todays LA Times, and I was horrified by these images, and also by the ignorance of so many of the Mexican people about this simply being about "A historical comic strip" and not about belittling a group of 1 million people in their own country (read: Afro-Mexicans). Very sad stuff...
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2005 at 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
These stamps are horrible.

That's an understatement. You have to believe that after the last go around Fox and the government did this intentionally out of some form of perverse machismo. They can't be that stupid.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 12:47 AM

Read this:

"The Bush administration condemned newly issued Mexican stamps that feature a black comic book character with exaggerated thick lips.

Press Secretary Scott McClellan said: "Racial stereotypes are offensive?. Images such as these have no place in today's world."

In Mexico, Ruben Aguilar, a spokesman for President Vicente Fox, said, "It seems strange to me that this celebration of Mexican culture ? is misunderstood." He said the comic had helped "combat racism and promote family values" in Mexico."

Helped combat racism & promote family values??? Huh?:?:
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 01:26 AM

Quote:
Read this:

"The Bush administration condemned newly issued Mexican stamps that feature a black comic book character with exaggerated thick lips.

Press Secretary Scott McClellan said: "Racial stereotypes are offensive?. Images such as these have no place in today's world."

In Mexico, Ruben Aguilar, a spokesman for President Vicente Fox, said, "It seems strange to me that this celebration of Mexican culture ? is misunderstood." He said the comic had helped "combat racism and promote family values" in Mexico."

Helped combat racism & promote family values??? Huh?:?:

sure, didn't you know that 2 dimensional ZAP type cartoons are the basis and tools for combating racism and instilling good family values. Too bad these idiots live on some other planet. Celebrate? Cultural? Hoooweeee!

They are trying to distract us....and it's working!
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 07:12 PM
Memin Pinguin

http://www.notofilia.com/

I used to read those comics 40 years ago, they've never changed. Mexico is slow to recognize political correctness. Whether that's good or bad is a matter of opinion.

http://search.ebay.com/Memin_W0QQfnuZ1QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ3

[Edited on 7-2-2005 by Oso]

http://members.tripod.com/gmoaguilera/

http://ngrand78.blogspot.com/2005/06/memin-pinguin.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/spanish/misc/newsid_4638000/4638779...

http://www.presstelegram.com/Stories/0,1413,204~21474~294447...

OOps, does this need to be moved to the thread on the Baja News forum?

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 07:51 PM

I just posted a bunch of links on this subject on the main forum. That post maybe needs to be moved here. We seem to be all over the place on this subject, as far as where to put it.

BTW, when I said "it's a matter of opinion", I didn't include mine. Here it is: It's offensive. Now, and always has been.

Ironically, there is a thriving market at swap meets and flea markets in the U.S. for ceramic Aunt Jemimas and early 1900's advertising with similar exaggerated characters. The majority of those buying such memorabilia (according to sellers) are African-Americans.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso
But, there is a thriving market at swap meets and flea markets in the U.S. for ceramic Aunt Jemimas and early 1900's advertising with similar exaggerated characters. The majority of those buying such memorabilia (according to sellers) are African-Americans.

But nothing.

Oso, you really don't need to go there, do you?

BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 7-1-2005 at 09:55 PM
timing is everything

the Mexican Postal Service could not have picked a worse time to unveil these stamps---too soon after Fox made his negative comments about African Americans

can't wait to hear Al Sharpton on this one

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
[
But nothing.

Oso, you really don't need to go there, do you?

The "but" was a mistake. The irony of the flea market observation was a seperate matter and not meant to excuse or justify the stamps. They are inexcusable. One thing is private ownership of "historical" memorabilia out of a sense of irony, the other is public, government sponsored, perpetuation of offensive imagery. I know any number of Mexicans who decorate their homes with images of the "indio dormido", taking a siesta under a big sombrero against a saguaro. At a gringo's house it would be offensive and if the USPS put out a stamp with that image, I'm sure the Mexican gov't would raise a stink. It's much like use of the N-word. They can, we can't.

The amazing thing is how long "Memin" has continued in print. It was never really funny. My favorite was always "Los Supermachos" back when Eduardo Del Rio,"Rius", was drawing it., after that "La Garrapata", then "Chanoc".

Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 03:32 PM

All 750,000 "Memin" stamps sold out in two days.

From his most recent comments, Vicente Fox still doesn't "get it".

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 04:06 PM

Didnt i tell you Mexicans are ignorant when it comes to the sensitivities of other races? The Fox goverment is as stupid as it gets.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-2-2005 at 06:24 PM

Jesse, this is one of those occasions upon which we are in total agreement.

One of the things which I have found particularly offensive to my own family in recent years is that banda- I don't remember their name and don't want to- that dresses up like "pieles rojas" with feathers and "war paint". Since most of them have at least some Indian blood, you'd think they wouldn't imitate such obscenities as "Chief Knockahoma" of the Atlanta Braves, or the Washington Redskins, Cleveland Indians, FSU Seminoles, etc. etc. ad nauseum.:barf:

[Edited on 7-3-2005 by Oso]

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 7-3-2005 at 09:07 AM
Aunt Jemima, Etc

I've been looking for a long time for a plaster "Black" Lawn Jockey, but have become resigned to the fact that I will have to buy a "White" one and color it myself.

Two thoughts: 1. Why is a "Black" jockey demeaning and not a "White" one and 2. Why would the occupation of Jockey be demeaning ???? I once knew a jockey who rode at Hollywood Park and elsewhere and he made a good living.

In recent years, there has also been a resurgence in interest over the old Amos and Andy TV series which we LOVED as kids.

Some people need to learn to laugh at themselves and other without feeling like they're committing a crime.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso

Ironically, there is a thriving market at swap meets and flea markets in the U.S. for ceramic Aunt Jemimas and early 1900's advertising with similar exaggerated characters. The majority of those buying such memorabilia (according to sellers) are African-Americans.

Reason for this is to remember the kind of racism that passed itself off as casual advertising and popular culture. This memorabilia is very hard to obtain and worth $$$. My wife has a miniature Muhammad Ali figure that her mother bought for her, and several Jim Crow-era figures. My best friend Tony who is an avid African art collector is always looking for this vintage American memorabilia as well. As for the Mexican postage stamps, he's not at all happy about these.
Oso
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Oso

Reason for this is to remember the kind of racism that passed itself off as casual advertising and popular culture. This memorabilia is very hard to obtain and worth $$$. My wife has a miniature Muhammad Ali figure that her mother bought for her, and several Jim Crow-era figures. My best friend Tony who is an avid African art collector is always looking for this vintage American memorabilia as well. As for the Mexican postage stamps, he's not at all happy about these.

Ken, that is the only point I was making with the flea market comment. The Memin comic books should have passed into vintage memorabilia with pictures of Al Jolson a long time ago. The fact that they are still being published is as funny as Archie Bunker made up for a minstrel show in 2005.

Do you remember if it was Red Foxx or someone else who said he never used aspirin because he was damned if he was going to pick the cotton out of the bottle?

Once, back in the 80's, I was privileged to be invited by co-workers to a small, private black club in Charlotte, NC, after our office Xmas party had petered out. This was not a commercial operation, just a little house that some of the older guys had gotten together and bought years ago, so they could have a place of their own for parties, card games and socializing. After several liquid refreshments, I started looking for the facilities. I found the right door but stopped dead in my tracks. Mounted on the door was about a 12" long rectangular metal sign that said "Colored". As I stood there, staring at it, everybody started laughing and hooting at me. "You have to go out in the back yard, man!" Literally red-faced, I felt a bit embarrased but at the same time good about being accepted enough to be there.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2005 at 09:54 PM

Oso, great observations. My wife Suzanne is from Flint, MI and is very Waspy. When living in Michigan, we traveled to Detroit regularly to check out the Techno scene which is mostly Black and very underground. She was happy to really experience Detroit from the Black perspective with me - to visit the private (mostly Black) clubs, walk the streets of downtown Detroit, and hang out with all of the producers of the House music scene that are known the world over.

After moving back to Southern Cal., we visited friends in Rosarito Beach, hung out at peoples homes in Playas de TJ, and really got to know folks in San Felipe and San Pedro Martir. None of these people speak English, but everyone was very cool and really wanted to know what we (as Americans) were all about. As for the postage stamps, I think they represent a true institutional ignorance/racism that is firmly planted in Mexican society. Similar to the thought of 'Mejorando la Raza' or 'Bettering the race' by having children with fairer complexions than the parents, which is prevalent in Mexico.

Funny thing however, when I worked on the East coast with some famous Salsa performers of Puerto Rican decent, they had nothing but bad stuff to say about Mexicans. They depicted the Mexicans they came into contact with as being of poor social graces and inferior style. I felt this was horrible - especially given the circumstances of their meeting these Mexican-Americans - at Selena Quintanilla's funeral and at the Latin Grammys!
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.