Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Los Corrales
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 10:07 PM
cpg----

-----57 gal., and we topped off in BOLA on the way south. I have two 18 gal. tanks, plus a 20 gal. tank on the roof rack. When we hit the little town of Vizcaino back at the pavement I had about 8 gal. left. But, my "beast" only gets 10mpg (big 460 cc engine) no matter what the conditions.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 10:36 PM

Here's a look at the general area, thanks to The Baja Almanac... reduced for Nomad posting...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-27-2006 at 10:40 PM

and a zoom in of Los Corrales... and the state border, just south...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 07:16 AM

Thanks Barry,
I have 38.2 with about 13.5 mpg.

David

The almanac seems inaccurate south of el barril. The original road is washed out. I went inland got in a river bed and tried to work to the trail on the almanac. I dont think i made it. There was a definite main dirt trail.
It seemed further inland than that on the almanac. Have you been down ther lately?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 08:43 AM
south of El Barril-----

David K---absolutely outstanding that you are able to show the Atlas maps in this thread----that is really helpful.

-----Guys-----being a Geographer by training, and an amatuer cartographer by hobbie (like David K), I am mentally locked into "maps", and believe in them until proven otherwise. The Atlas maps are, by and large, very accurate, in my opinion. However, I realize that GPS's are revealing otherwise, lately.

The road as indicated in the Atlas between El Barril and Rancho San Miguel appeared to me to be very accurate. South of Rancho San Miguel may be another story. The small dotted "trail" from the Rancho NE to the coast is approximately correct, or it seemed to me to be. When I left the Rancho to head for Los Coralles I attempted to follow the map, i.e. I headed out SE like the road on the map is shown. We did note that there were several tracks heading out from the Rancho like the spokes of a wheel, all heading generally in a southernly direction. I took the one that appeared to me to be the one on the map, however the track soon veered to the east, unlike what the map showed. As I was only able to go about 2 miles, I cannot vouch for anything beyond that distance. Now, after reading what you guys say, I am wondering if I did the right thing------I certainly wish I had taken the time to investigate ALL the tracks heading south from the Rancho--------which tends to make me want to go back and check it out, like next winter when it is cool.:bounce:
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 01:08 PM

Barry

How long ago where you there?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 02:09 PM
cpg----

----April of 2000--------which is "ancient history" by some standards. :lol:
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 06:53 PM

Barry

Here is the road out of el barril. This wash out was a no go. A few tries around and then back down to el barril and in the large wash we went.
I tried to stay in the right direction.

[Edited on 4-29-2006 by cpg]
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 07:09 PM
Wow-----

-----I see what you mean. Things have changed haven't they, since 2000.
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 09:36 PM

I think I was to far west take a look

Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2006 at 10:48 PM
cpg----

-----if that is a GPS "track", something is drastically wrong with something. There is no way that the track plotted could be correct------the road is in the bottem of the major drainage that shows on the aerial photo. The plotted appears correct at the top of the visual aerial, but way off as you travel south thru the visual aerial. What do you think is going on?? Aerial photos don't lie. For some reason, the aerial photo and the GPS "track" are not corresponding-----all this makes me really suspicious of "modern technology"???? Can you enlighten me???
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 07:59 AM

Well Thats what i thought. The LB Map and the almanac show a semi straight shot down a major wash. We were traversing major washes and going up and down hills. And as we headed south getting lower on fuel we were not getting to close to the ocean. We keep saying ok after this ridge top. But it was always more mountains to pass. I am thinking that what I was on was a newer road to work over to los coralles. I might have missed a left on the way down but I think I tried all of the lefts. If you look at the s turn of the wash maybe thats were we should have turned. But there was no way in it was full of big rocks. The photo is around were we left the lb map route. I was watching hard for a left.
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 08:00 AM

This was on are left in that area. Anyone seen this?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 01:37 PM
cpg----the plot thickens-----

The only thing I can think of is that the road I took in 2000 has been completely washed out after it entered La Fortuna/San Miguel wash-------back in 2000 it was totally in that major drainage that shows in the aerial photo as a pretty straight shot from the NW to the SE. However, at the top of the aerial photo, the road as plotted on the aerial does look the same as it did in 2000-----i.e. back then you are climbing slightly after you leave El Barril on a wide graded road for many miles, then the graded road ends (as I remember), and you drive up Las Cuevitas wash (a really monster wash) a little way until you make a 90 degree left turn up a small sandy arroyo, climbing up to a plateau, and then you cross that plateau (Mesa el Alambrado) topping out at a divide (Cuesta don Reyes) and then start down a very steep and rocky grade (with switch backs) into that major drainage (la Fortuna wash) pictured in the aerial photo, and upon reaching the bottom of that canyon (near La Fortuna [big stone corral]) you then stay in the canyon bottom until reaching Rancho San Miguel (exactly as the Almanac shows). La Fortuna wash is (was?) full of big and beautiful Palo Blanco trees.

Perhaps they have bulldozed a new road that is out of, and west of, the La Fortuna wash??? (which would make the GPS data/plotting correct???)

Did you guys cross over the road to Rancho Santa Barbara (which runs east and west) as you made your way south??

By the way, did you guys ever actually get to Rancho San Miguel, or do you think you were west of it?? The Rancho was a very well maintained, pretty big, neat and tidy, and active when we were there in April of 2000.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 02:32 PM
You both may be correct

If you look with a horizon view it looks like there is another route that circumvents the original wash track and reenters possibly at the next huge wash not far from where cpg ended up(orange circle) yellow line indicates the old road.
It looks as if the elevation gain is not more than 250-300 ft so I am convinced that an alternate track has been established.
CPG did you see any bike tracks along the way or heading off down the wash-out. It's probably doable on bikes.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 04:42 PM

Barry

We did not make it to any Rancho on this trail. There was that concrete and a open gate (falling down gate) no fence.
After that we saw something that looked like it was used to hang things maybe butcher cows not sure. It was strange. Then alot of diverse terrain. We saw lots of trees in a wash some where along the middle. My wife thinks they were Olive trees?.

Skark

That looks alot like are drive. There were no bike tracks.
That road was gone for about 75 yards just dropped both sides straight up and down. I wish I had my bike there to scout it was real slow going in the Land Cruiser.
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 04:49 PM

Hers a pick of the trees
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 04:51 PM

hangin thing
cpg
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 04:52 PM

more wash
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2006 at 05:54 PM

Sounds to me like both Rancho San Miguel and Rancho Santa Barbara have been cut off by humongous storms in the recent past (since 2000). This, if true, is a real shame as both these ranchos are well established and truely successful (appearing??) old-time Baja Ranchos. OF course they got along fine before the road was there, so maybe they are still operational. I have not personally been to Rancho Santa Barbara, but I have heard good things about it.

All you folks have certainly been helpful to me, and I want to thank you all. I am so curious now that I have to go back.

I am thinking that maybe the trees in your photo are what your wife says look like olive trees??? and the one's in the background DO look like Palo Blanco trees (distinctive white bark) to me. Palo Blanco trees look very much like Palo Verde trees except the Palo Verde have med. green bark, and Palo Blanco have white bark. This is the furthest north that I have ever seen Palo Blanco trees. We have Palo Verde trees all over northern Baja, and the low desert of California and SW Arizona. The closeup one in your picture could be any of several varieties----I am just not sure----it could even be an OLIVE tree, like your wife says.:yes:
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.