Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Always logged on
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 01:49 PM
Always logged on

I keep this computer running 24/7 unless for some unforseen reason. Last night as I sat across the room I watched in shock as my (6) open windows were shut down one by one without asking to save. Then it proceeded to shut down normally like someone was sitting here doing just that. The computer booted up normally as always and I have had no problems since. Very odd indeed. In 16 yrs I have never had that happen. One thing, though, I did last night was update Windows. Has anyone else had this happen?
So, after opening my programs again I noticed I was still logged in. In fact if I don't log out it seems I am logged on automatically forever.
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
I keep this computer running 24/7 unless for some unforseen reason. Last night as I sat across the room I watched in shock as my (6) open windows were shut down one by one without asking to save. Then it proceeded to shut down normally like someone was sitting here doing just that. The computer booted up normally as always and I have had no problems since. Very odd indeed. In 16 yrs I have never had that happen. One thing, though, I did last night was update Windows. Has anyone else had this happen?
So, after opening my programs again I noticed I was still logged in. In fact if I don't log out it seems I am logged on automatically forever.

Almost. I just did a new windows update too, probably the same one. I was working along and up came a screen that said, Computer needs to be restarted, do you want to restart now? I noticed a screen pop up with a thermometer and it had two choices, restart now or restart later. Then I read the box, it said, computer will restart automatically in 4 minutes 36 seconds. I chose later a couple of times and then restarted manually.

I would suspect you had this same screen in the background so you didn't see it count down those minutes before restarting automatically. The restart screen came up quite a while after I installed the automatic windows update.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 01:59 PM

ah ha, thanks Wornout!
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 02:42 PM
Windows Update

I just this minute finished downloading that Windows update, but haven't yet rebooted. Stay Tuned.

Reboot, A-OK so far.

[Edited on 5-20-2005 by MrBillM]
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 03:22 PM

Sharks
Same thing happened to me last night. A machine I keep on 24/7 rebooted during the night. There was a little icon on the toolbar at the bottom of the screen saying that Windows has been updated. Bill Gates must have made the rounds last night.
++Ken++
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 03:29 PM

:oGOOD LORD!!!! Good thing this computer wasn't some emergency dependant system:no:
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
I just this minute finished downloading that Windows update, but haven't yet rebooted. Stay Tuned.

Reboot, A-OK so far.

[Edited on 5-20-2005 by MrBillM]

Did you get the new window saying the machine would be rebooted in 4+ minutes if nothing is done and you had the option of saying reboot later? Of course I said reboot later but Mr Gates put the message up about every 5 minutes......I gave up and rebooted....

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 03:47 PM

The only wat to totaly avoid that would be to turn OFF the automatic Windows updates if you have a machine that you can't take a chance on. if you do that, you'd be wise to check pretty often for updates manualy.

I had the same experience as everyone else with last night's update.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
bajablue
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 04:12 PM

my suggestion, get rid of the PC and move into a Mac. You will never have any of those problems ever again. Best purchase I have ever made..
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajablue
my suggestion, get rid of the PC and move into a Mac. You will never have any of those problems ever again. Best purchase I have ever made..

but there's just soooo many programs that I use that just won't run on it!!

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 5-20-2005 at 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajablue

I don't really have a dog in the Mac/PC fight. I've never owned a Mac but many people who do seem to really like them. As a developer of engineering software, I must work with PCs. Virtually all engineering software is written for PCs, Macs are kinda non-existent in the engineering and scientific community.

++Ken++
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2005 at 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy

I don't really have a dog in the Mac/PC fight. I've never owned a Mac but many people who do seem to really like them. As a developer of engineering software, I must work with PCs. Virtually all engineering software is written for PCs, Macs are kinda non-existent in the engineering and scientific community.

++Ken++

Ken,

A fishing buddy of mine has been interested in making a career change and becoming a webmaster recently. He's a Mac person all the way and has done all of his web training at home on the Mac. Well, he had a job interview a few weeks ago for a fortune 500 company and failed his web design tests due to the fact his page designs were specific to a Mac and the company ran entirely on PC's. When he showed them his final product there were major flaws on the PC which didn't appear on the Mac.

Earlier on he had been advised on purchasing a Mac by friends in the computer publishing sector where the Mac is king. The Mac was a sentimental favorite for many of us here in the Silicon Valley as we watched Bill Gates copy the look and feel of the Mac and Apple lose it's case in court on the matter.

skipjack
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-21-2005 at 07:04 AM

mine just did the same thing

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2005 at 08:18 AM

Well, he didn't purchase the Mac, originally, to use it professionally. And he had designed (and was paid for some of them) several websites earlier. So he wasn't totally naive. about the differences.

I think, my point was that if he had done his project on a PC his interview test could have gone more favorably for this particular position. I think he worked on the Mac, viewed it on the PC, then went back to the Mac, then the PC. Back and forth. I guess he didn't get all the bugs out. Either way, it was a needlessly laborious way of doing it for a project that was going to run on a PC.

Anyway, this has little to do with baja ...

The Mercedez Benz was a better car than the Model T in the 1930's but as a car mechanic you got more work if you fixed Fords.

[Edited on 5-21-2005 by Skipjack Joe]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-21-2005 at 10:02 AM
No Shutdown Window

No, I never saw the shutdown window referenced after the update.

Regarding the ongoing Mac/PC debate, back in 1995 while working on a Network support contract for GTE, we hired an assistant who was rabid in his beliefs regarding the superiority of the Mac system. Shortly after going to work for us, he dumped it and bought a PC. Perhaps the Mac does have some superior features, but the fact that PC/Windows systems are ubiquitous in the business/engineering world requires people in that environment to be PC proficient.

Betamax was superior to VHS and The Amiga conputer was one of the best in graphics at it's time, but they're both dead now.

It has been remarked before that one of Steve Jobs major errors in the marketing of the MAC was his attempt to make it universal with students, thinking that this would filter into the business world, but graduate new-hires don't determine corporate policy. The other best-known error was making the MAC a closed system, unwilling to make the OS design and software available to other manufacturer with a few very limited exceptions..
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 5-22-2005 at 04:21 PM

Well, that clears up one mystery, and presents another.
I am pretty computer dumb (my kids say that I am in the "Ronald Reagan Era of Communications"- somehow that never sounds like a compliment.
Anyway, yesterday morning I looked at my screen and it was awaiting the password so it could restart.... which is usually what I find when the PG&E idiots turn me off in the night.
I logged on, then walked around the house looking for blinking clocks. None to be found.
Guess you solved that mini-mystery.
So, said to heck with the whole mess and took a quick drive up to Yosemite, where water is pouring off every cliff and rock in the valley.
Made me forget computers and everything else of little consequence!!!!

Baja Arriba!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.