Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: looking for a similar "site" as Nomads for Sonora---
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-21-2005 at 08:31 AM
looking for a similar "site" as Nomads for Sonora---

Does anybody know of a website like this NOMADS board that is concerned with Sonora rather than Baja? I cannot find what I am looking for with my search engine.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 5-21-2005 at 09:17 AM

you will never find a site like this one:bounce:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-21-2005 at 09:20 AM
Barry A

Ask OSO--if anyone knows he will. He has some really good stories of the mainland--I keep trying to get him to share them but he feels that this site is dedicated to 'only' Baja and that is our loss because he is a wonderful story teller.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 5-21-2005 at 11:49 AM

Well, I just responded to Barry on U2U, and no, I don't know of a good one for Sonora. mexconnect.com has some good stuff on the mainland, but they mainly concentrate on the "gringo enclaves" like Ajijic and San Miguel de Allende.

I've started looking around and I did stumble across this on a Sailing oriented website:

http://www.latitudemexico.com/modules/news/article.php?story...

This is a real bummer, no more free "Sonora Only" permits. You can still go as far as Rocky Point without the temp. importation, but if you want to go to San Carlos it's $29 to Banjercito.
(Seems Sonora lost track of some 25,000 vehicles and faces HUGE fines from the federales.)
:mad:

Bernie, as I mentioned to you, the only half-assed serious attempt at a short story I ever did was "Huivulai" on the old Amigos board. It wasn't "Baja", but it was about an island in the Cortez. If people want to read it, I'll try and dig it up. Just tell me where to put it.

(Wrong, actually the sun does shine there when I'm sunbathing.) :lol:

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Natalie Ann
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2005 at 11:54 AM

Oso - Please reprint your story, I'd love to read it.

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.
.....Oscar Wilde
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-21-2005 at 12:42 PM
Thanks to Oso and Bernie

Appreciate your help-----I got the u2u from Oso-----Strange that there does not appear to be one.

I am interested in the coast from Puerto Penasco to Kino Bay where I want to provide support to my Kayak friends. They already did the stretch from El Golfo de Santa Clara to Penasco last year.
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2005 at 01:20 PM

Barry: here is one for San Carlos: http://www.sancarlosmexico.com/forum.htm. It is new and the volume is lite, but pretty good. Most people are from AZ and many live in San Carlos. I'm sure they can help you with questions about Kino.

Oso: Sonora Only is up and running. It was halted for a couple weeks in January, but is back. It looks like there is a very good chance that the free zone will extend all the way to San Carlos in the very near future. I understand they are under construction of a k21 like facility already down there.

[Edited on 5-21-2005 by JZ]
Kimpatsu_Hekigan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2005 at 01:42 PM
More Sonora sites

Here are a couple of more resources for southern Sonora:

Viva San Carlos Bulletin Board

Alamos News group on Yahoo!

There used to be a great site out of Bahia Kino, but it disappeared late last year (or at least, I haven't been able to find its successor)...

HTH,

K.H.

Re: Moving the "Frontera" Zone south of San Carlos
This plan is apparently still on track, but according to an article that appeared in late April in El Imparcial (the state-wide newspaper published in Hermosillo), the Sonoran State government and federal Aduana (customs) agency are still haggling over where exactly to site the checkpoint. Rumor has it that the personnel staffing the current Km 21 checkpoint south of Nogales are not happy about this move and have reportedly been taking it out on tourists with more rigorous inspections. For what it's worth...
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2005 at 04:41 PM

The Sea of Cortez forum on www.trailersailor.com is quite active. It has lots of people out of San Carlos.
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2005 at 04:48 PM

Contact Club Deportivo In Kino. Tony runs the Club, but the guy who can hook you up would be Carl Overcast. I'm not where I can get the phone numbers right now. If you think they can help I'll send them to you tomorrow.:cool:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

cool.gif posted on 5-21-2005 at 06:03 PM
OsO - yeah man - i want to read it

so can you email to me as a MS Word doc, or??
print and fax - fax, hell - whatever.

and i'll reciprocate with one of mine that i do not post here, it's rated "R" for ribald...

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
rogerj1
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-21-2005 at 09:24 PM
Speaking of Sonora.....

I came across this web site for a proposed development in Sonora.

http://www.libertycove.net/default.asp

This is a project from a genius or a lunatic.
Check out the race track idea.:tumble:

[Edited on 5-22-2005 by rogerj1]
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 5-22-2005 at 08:44 AM
OSO

THIS IS THE ONLY THING THAT I COULD FIND THAT MIGHT GIVE YOU SOME DIRECTION ON WHERE TO POST YOUR STORIES. These were posted in the Announcement section. Scroll down.

Perhaps Doug would like to give some further direction on this---I know he would not want to miss your stories either.

Eli

Nomad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mood: quite mode
posted on 2-2-2005 at 07:34

Speaking of which Doug;

I have often wondered if my post really fit on the general discussion board, or should we move me else where since I seldom actually address Baja Ca. in general. Some times my posts are traval related, (outside of Baja), sometimes they are about art and humanites, and well you know...........geezzzzzzzz. What would you sugget?

Saludos, Sara

David K

Elite Nomad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mood: Have Baja Fever
posted on 2-2-2005 at 07:40

Maybe a place called 'Personal or Human Interest Stories' could be for yours and Mike Humfreville's tales. Otherwise keep posting on the General board so nobody misses them!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."
See my Baja notebook: http://community-2.webtv.net/drdrip/notes
Visit my Baja web site: http://VivaBaja.com

Eli

Nomad

Mood: quite mode
posted on 2-2-2005 at 08:32

Thanks David, that was a real nice thing to say.

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
neilmac
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2005 at 04:10 PM

Here's a link to a Puerto Penasco, Sonora forum:

http://www.rockypointonline.com/RPForum

Neil

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.