Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: What is needed down south
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2003 at 12:05 PM
What is needed down south

I am leaving for the Loreto/ La Paz area Wednesday. I have clothes, foods, water and insect repellant. What is the most needed thing down in this area right now ? More Deet ? Please, someone who is there let me know. I have had donations from many but still have room left for small items.
If anyone else wants to make contributions to the people down there, you can email me at jrbaja@hotmail.com
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-25-2003 at 06:22 PM
what is needed

SkiMan, I am cheering you on for taking all the aid and supplies possible on your upcoming trip.
However, the real answer to your question is simply "Just Go!"
So many people get spooked at this sort of event and postpone their trips.
What Baja needs now is visitors and a return to normal.
You will probably be surprised to see how "normal" most things are and how quickly the Baja folk can bring back a regular pace.
In more that 30 years of Baja travel I have seen many disasters, and all have quickly been picked up and pressed onward.
So, Go for It!
Life does go on.

Baja Vida!
Ski Baja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-25-2003 at 07:47 PM
Heading south

Hey Runner Dude, it's not a matter of whether I am going or not, it's a matter of changing plans a little. I know that some of my destinations previously planned will not be accesible for quite some time. They were questionable before the storms. But, there will be a need for some supplies in many areas that the fishermen and tourists don't go. These are my destinations as well as my favorite beach towns which have had extensive damage.
There are many areas in Baja that don't have access to medicines and supplies, especially after a record setting storm like Marty was.
When Dengue, Religious Conversion Attempts, Plague or any other devasting events happen to remote communities, they are a lot more susceptible than most others. We are now able to prevent these things from happening. Plus, they are my friends.
Thus the insect repellants. This isn't a vacation for me, I had many things going on down south prior to Marty. Including the delivering of goods, mostly baseball equipment and fun stuff.. Plans and priorities have now changed so I am now concentrating on things to help with standing water everywhere and mosquitos known to be carrying Dengue.
They still get the baseball stuff too.
thebajarunner
Ultra Nomad

Mood: muy amable

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 05:55 PM
what is needed

Whoa!
Where did that negative shot on "religious conversions" and negative impacts on native villages come from?
Yikes!! Do I hear some anger there?
Read today's NYTimes Op/Ed piece by Nicholas Kristoff entitled "God on Their Side"
A non-Christian, non-religious writer admits and praises the positive effect of evangelical Christians in their work in the two/thirds world.
What is your point of reference?
Have you been to San Vicente, of late?
Have you seen the positive impact that Bill and Kaye Lawrence have had on that community through their Christian home for kids (Rancho Santa Marta), school for the disabled and the technical training institute. Not to mention the positive impact on the town from the medical clinics etc.
The "traditional church" in Mexico needs a good shakeup.
Watch the very popular film "La Crimen del Padre Amaro"
We have experienced that first hand in my wife's village in Jalisco.
Sorry for the outburst, perhaps this is not the proper forum, but I cannot pass on your comment, It is just not accurate.

Baja Vida!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.