Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: spearfishing
fishinrich
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2005 at 05:12 AM
spearfishing

GTB--Looks like the hunting was good. I fished the area south of there last week and caught some nice cabrilla to #20. The pictures of the guy with the small cabrilla are great but the ones of julie with the big pregnant females are horrible. 30 years ago I had the mentality of shoot the biggest to prove I was the baddest spero out there. Thank goodness I still have enough brain cells left to know better now. Those big females full of eggs are the breaders and when caught should be let go and never speared just so someone can have the "record". I thought julie would know and care more about the resource than that???. Next time please let the big ones live, they are the future!!!!-----fishin rich
pascuale
Nomad

Mood: Lets fish!

[*] posted on 5-26-2005 at 08:14 AM

First, Julie is an awesome spearo and has great skill. I guess she had alot of people to feed.

Second, this is what I was afraid of in my previous posts to GTB. I thought you (GTB) said that you would not let people kill numerous grouper and you practice conservation. Thats a bummer, no ifs, ands, or buts. Now there will be 100's of people there doing the same thing because you are showing them by example by posting your report on every board there is. Hope the business goes well! Glad I didnt show you where the halibut are.

[Edited on 5-26-2005 by pascuale]

[Edited on 5-26-2005 by pascuale]
gonetobaja
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-26-2005 at 08:51 AM

Too bad you guys are acting like I dont know whats up.

First of all the grouper had squid in their stomachs. Big ones. After we shot them they threw up all over the bottom of the boat. They have already finished their spawning in the deep water and have moved up to the shallows to gorge on bait and squid.

Second of all, those are gulf grouper they are not big, they are small. Gulf grouper get to over 200lbs so there goes your smartness of big breeder feamales, and the smaller ones are leopard grouper of which the world record is 26 lbs. there is also a barred snapper. We shot only 4 fish each over two days of shooting, far less than other fishermen in the area. Thats 12 fish total for you young college types who are quick to say I shoot numerous fish. Those where the only two grouper she shot on the trip.

Pascuale, I already know where the fish are, I just wanted to make you feel like you know something, by your post you show everyone your cards.

You guys need to get your facts straight before you get on the world wide web and start bashing me with all of your knowledge.

My business is going fine.

Once a month on the dead tide I bring 4 people down to gonzaga to experience the spearfishing trip of a lifetime and we leave with the same 8-13 fish every time. All of the fish are eaten. Why dont you guys bash someone else whos trying to make a living like the big 100 and 80ft charters with 15 pangas that rape the midrifts every month or the gill netters at the islands or the illegal hooka divers getting sea cucumbers and selling them to the japanese?

Its because I really make my living as a professional guide and I do practice what I preach, and you guys just want to sound like you know what you are talking about.

Julie 3 fish (2 grouper and 1 snapper) ended up making 40lbs of fillets that she gave to family and friends, thats the only thing you guys got right...

fishin rich, you are right, I dont have alot of brain cells left, I guess I thought you guys would appreciate a gonzaga bay spearfishing report with pics..."I thought Julie would care more about the resource than that..." she only shot 3 fish...

nothing worse than uninformed comments made to make the posters look like they are saving the world, truly lame.

Pascuale, 100s of people? to Gonzaga? You just dont want to share a good fishing spot. Its not yours, the ocean belongs to everyone.

Sorry I posted...

GTB
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

biggrin.gif posted on 5-27-2005 at 06:57 AM
Dale,

illigetimi non carburundum!:coolup:

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2005 at 11:12 AM
dont be sorry...

you posted,i think i speak for the majority when i say that i was impressed with the pics of your trip....anyone that has ever tried spearfishing knows it is not very easy....these guys that are giving you flak are worried about the same thing that everyone is worried about which is fish populations dwindling because of greedy fishermen,personally i think they are barking up the wrong tree by pointing the finger at you....keep posting those trip reports,we need them:smug:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2005 at 11:18 AM
Gringos

+ Gringos = Drama:lol:
pascuale
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2005 at 06:19 PM

Sorry GTB, but shooting any Grouper or Black Seabass is not my idea of conservation. Thats just my opinion. I dont want that place to become like Southern california became after everyone shot all the Black Seabass. Both species are slow to grow and the leapard grouper or Cabrilla Sardinera are not scarce so shooting them isnt a problem, but the gulf grouper are very rare so by shooting them your just wiping out a population. Thats fine because you wont have any fish for your customers to shoot in all those caves you frequent. Better find new spots because those same ones will be empty now.

[Edited on 5-29-2005 by pascuale]
aldosalato
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2005 at 08:41 PM

Spearfishing freedivers probably catch less than 1% of all the groupers taken out in Baja every year.
pascuale
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 12:00 AM

13 grouper a month that are 50 years old give or take times 12 months a year is almost 140 fish a year. There will be no more grouper in those caves ever again with that destruction. That is what I am concerned about GTB and i do scrutinize the gill netters as well. If we dont start somewhere then nothing will ever get done. Its cool to see that your doing what you love but like you said, no one owns the ocean, so dont take what cant be replaced. Thanks.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 01:13 AM
Big fish

GTB... It's good to hear that some folks are more and more aware of the necessity of preserving brood stock. I am a spearfisherman from way back and have followed the demise of the black and white seabass. Although spearfishers are certainly not the cause of their plight, but the fact remains that these large fish are an easier target and easier to locate. Moreover, spearfishing contests in areas of concentrations of these awesome animals should be monitored at least to some degree as well as the banning of spearing of obviously pregnant females of a predetermined size. This would behoove the arguement in favor of spearfishing. By requiring business owners to collect data and thereby creating a logical reference database one could track or otherwise evaluate fish populations and trends. As the deminishing numbers (of large brood fish)continues through deliberate,incidental or by other non-target means so does the exponential reproduction ratio. I can attest to witness charter boat plundering... I used to watch with mouth agape from a cliffside perch as dive boats would sit off-shore of Catalina Is. and let the "night-dive checkout" students return with sacks of 'bugs' and 'abs'. This an example of a charter(legit) "biz gone bad" as these dives were not for food.
Unfortunately, L.A. and it's millions of week-end warriors exacerbated the problems. The Sea of Cortez is precariously perched, especially with the blind eye of the law in Mexico. It seems you don't fit this category. My fears are the same as some others. Keep the big ones alive.
On another point you made, what do you consider shallow for squid?. Squid are typically deeper water animals that surface and dive to the sea floor during mating seasons. It is possible that the squid was eaten/taken during these ascents/descents, although they die after mating and sink or stay on the ocean floor where they are consumed en masse. THAT is another industry in the SOC that needs eyeballin'.
mrchuck
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 07:21 AM

Question s to "Gone to Baja":

1) your business of fishing tours, I presume that you have an FM-3 immigration document with the work in Baja page stamped and approved??
Also registered with Mexico"s Hacienda(IRS) for paying your Mexican taxes due from your income made in Mexico???

2) That all of your "paid clients" have a valid fishing license. That you know and are aware that anyone spear fishing MUST have one.
(no scuba fishing allowed).

3) Or is it really true that you are just another one of those "scab" Americans that have an ILLEGAL business in Mexico, never respect the Mexican Law, and just skate along over the thin ice and hope no Official catches you red-handed!

Awaiting your answer,,,,,,mc
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 11:32 AM
Good grief

it looks as if the occasional gringo tourists have taken it upon themselves to fight for yet another cause in a foreign country.
Why don't you busy body tourists stick with the neuter and spade brigades you came down here and started, or actually doing something to repair the country that has really gone to chit. You live in it.
Frying pans calling kettles black so to speak!

WTF do you know chuckie about being legal down here? And it's pretty presumptious of you to assume that everyone down here is doing something illegal.
And what business is it of yours anyway?
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 02:15 PM
sounds like Mr Chucky

didnt have a good bowel movement this morning,maybe he needs to drink some prune juice and calm the **** down:O:O
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

rolleyes.gif posted on 5-29-2005 at 02:49 PM
but,but, I didn't dint do it yo honor

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
or actually doing something to repair the country that has really gone to sh-t. You live in it.
Frying pans calling kettles black so to speak!

........you can say that again JR. It is a matter of common sense how you treat your own backyard. Or someone elses.
mrchuck
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 05:31 PM

To jr baja:
Now that you have "chimed" in, tell me about your Mexican Business License that you have as to your bamboo business of constructing products and selling to others, there in San Bartolo, Mexico??

While your at it, tell me about your immigration status, ie, are you a FM-T 180 day, or do you have an FM-3 document with the "work status approved" from the La Paz Immigration office which controls the San Bartolo area???

I have followed your postings for years, from your Rosarito Beach Titanic movie set construction days, to here in the Los Barriles & San Bartolo area postings, where you are now working in the "bamboo furniture business.

So tell us about how much money you pay your San Bartolo Mexican employees, and who is your Mexican accountant on record that handles your business affairs such as paying the Social Security, Medical, to all your employees, or their retirement benefits, or even your state and Federal Income taxes.
I would bet you that you aren't even presently registered with Mexican Immigration and you are now "flying under the radar", so to speak, hoping no one in the San Bartolo will turn you in to the Federal Authorities.
I can recommend a great Accountant to you to start the paper work for you and your business, if you desire to be legal,,,,

Hey Bruce Leach in Mulege, what do you say to the illegal businesses in your Mulege area? You or your wife let them slide by???? I don't think so,,,,

Saludos,,,,mc

[Edited on 5-30-2005 by mrchuck]
mike odell
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 06:26 PM

To Junior so called baja,
I think you have bet, been raised and called, show your
hole cards! I thinks your holding a busted hand.
First of all, you ruminate about the American community in
this area, to the degree we will no longer tolerate your
attitude. So as Mr Chuck, said post your info here about your bammboo business, or shut up, or go away, the latter is preferable.
I have worked here in this area LEGALLY for many years,
have you? I have been through the FM3/FM2/Immigrado/
Mexican Citizen, have you? I have an accountant, an attorney, I have documentation for all of my workers,including, IMMS, Retirement benifits,etc, do you have any of this? I also hold business licenses for retail stores. Do you? I also pay my Mexican taxes.
All of the above, are costs of doing business Legally in
Mexico, I think you should get legal, the clock is ticking.
I know a few Americans here that are not working legally,
but they are not on this board everyday, thumbing there nose at everyone, and I choose to leave them alone until
They turn into a person such as youself.
Jr it is indeed a stupid bird that chits in it's own nest.
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 10:08 PM
narks!!!

the websters definition for nark is 1.stool pigeon,informer 2.annoying person.....welll that would pretty much describe the last 2 posts:o:o
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2005 at 08:59 AM
Only idiots assume,

and again clowns, what business is it of yours anyway? Very typical gringo "better than thou attitudes" and also very typical that neither of you have a friggen clue.
Everybody but you is working illegally down here with no legal status? Please you self centered pieces of work, get a damn clue!
It cracks me up that the people that whine so much about others being legal, are also the ones that whine about how much work it is and money it costs to become legal.:lol::lol::lol:
Again my nosey friends, mind your own business!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2005 at 09:18 AM
And one more thing for the

busybody gringos. If you have a problem with other peoples lives, why don't you try turning us "illegals" as you are assuming, into the authorities. I love the way they deal with false accusations down here! Pendejos!
pascuale
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2005 at 11:31 AM

Hey Jr Baja are you white or mexican because if your white, that would make you a gringo also, correct?
 Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.