Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Law Enforcement Question
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

question.gif posted on 5-29-2005 at 07:52 AM
Law Enforcement Question

Would someone please list all the law enforcment/military groups that opperate in Baja, how they are uniformed and what/where their area of responsibility is?
Thanks
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 08:30 AM

You planning on robbing a bank, or what?
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 12:33 PM

AFI: federal crimes, narcotics

Military: narcotics, weapons, warrants of mayor traffickers

PFP: Federal preventive Police, narcotics primarily.

State Police: homicide, theft, but truly are workers for the cartes, corrupt as it gets, they dress in plain clothes, cant tell them appart from narcos.

GAFES: special forces of the Mexican military, trained in France, the U.S., and Israel, they hunt for top traffickers and cartel leaders, almost all the arrest of major traffickers have been done by these guys.

Local cops: crime "prevention"
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

cool.gif posted on 5-29-2005 at 03:36 PM
You are scaring me

maybe I better stop going

seems like I have seen all those guys before:lol:

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 04:20 PM
and this group of thugs....

Here's historical documented photoshot of me getting beat up by a band of BajaNomads on this day for non support of any type of spam on our forum. No need to worry about the Secret Police in Mexico!

[Edited on 5-29-2005 by yankeeirishman]

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 06:16 PM

Thanks, Jesse, that was an interesting post.

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 08:49 PM
Thanks Jesse!

Even has pictures.

What about the "Hiway Patrol" - are you lumping them under "local" cops? I don't understand the difference between AFI and PFP - please explain. The hiway patrol - is it an agency of each state? In other words, is there a seperate patrol for BCN and BCS? Is there something like the sherrif in EEUU? On my maps, I see nothing like our counties - how are the rural areas governed? Maybe someone has a good geography source you can give me. Thanks
Anonymous
Unregistered

[*] posted on 5-29-2005 at 09:06 PM

The "Highway Patrol" wich use those new Black and Whites, are part of PFP or Policia Federal Prentiva, they are basically preventive cops similar to local cops, but they belong to the federal goverment and have the capability to investigate federal crimes, wich the locals do not. AFI is agencia federal de investigaciones, and they basically are the Mexican equivalent of the FBI.

Those cops in those Black and Whites that you see in Baja, usually are moved to other parts of the nation because they belong to the federal goverment.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 5-30-2005 at 10:09 PM
Santiago: David K posted this back in 2002

Visitors Guide to Mexican Police (I found it)

This was sent to me some time ago, originally posted on the Amigos board by David Eidell. The email was originally from Carlos Barragan. Jide, I know you personally and thus know this theft to be a fact. I will post this guide seperately as well...
------------------------------------------------------
A Visitor's Guide To M?xican Police

Ej?rcito M?xicano (M?xican Army)

The army has been charged with civil protection, fish and game patrols (land and fresh water), conservation and fire fighting duties. Regional regiments are commanded by One-Star General officers. Subsidiaries of the regiment are called "Batallons" (Battalions). Officers and enlisted men are stationed a minimum of one thousand miles from their home to avoid collusion and conflicts of interest. Army personnel are usually dressed in camouflage uniforms. They transport with Mercedes deuce and a half trucks and patrol in American General manufactured Hum Vee vehicles. Belgian FN. 7.62 mm. automatic rifles are the mainstay of the troop armament. Browning .30 caliber M6A1 machine guns are used to arm sandbag reinforced positions monitoring rural roads in narcotics transport areas. The army cannot prosecute civilians directly. Suspects are remanded to federal or state police custody for further processing.

Armada M?xicano (M?xican Navy)

Navy duties are similar to those of the army. Naval patrols also assist ships and boats in distress. Fifteen hundred ton Frigates are the mainstays of the blue water fleet while multiple (outboard) engines open craft patrol shorelines and estuaries. The former is equipped with 3" 50 cal. Naval cannon, Browning M2A1 .50 cal. machine guns and hand weapons. The later uses Browning .30 caliber air-cooled machine guns. Naval personnel dress in dark blue uniforms. The Armada is saddled with the responsibility of fish and game enforcement. M?xican land transport vehicles are similar to those that the army uses except they are light gray in color.

Polic?a Judic?al Federal (PJF)

Thirty one regional command?nte officers each supervise a minimum of six Capit?ns who in turn supervise a minimum of sixty subordinates. A cadre of "home office" command?nte officers is at the disposal of the Command?nte Primer, who is based in M?xico City. The Command?nte Primer is directly under the Secret?ria de Gobernacion, an appointed cabinet minister. The Secretaria de Gobernacion is generally regarded as the second most powerful position in Mexican government (right after the president). The federal police are charged with enforcing M?xico's most serious criminal laws including "Gr?nde Del?tos Feder?les" which is the same as "Federal Felonies" (murder, drugs, bank robbery).

Federal police officers prefer two modes of dress? all black for operations and similar to prosperous Texas cattle ranchers (cowboy boots and all). Armament consists of Browning Automatic Rifles, UZI 5.56 mm. machine guns, Ingram MAC 10, 9 mm. machine pistols, and heavily decorated Colt 45 caliber handguns. Command?nte and Capit?n officers prefer to drive new Chevrolet Suburbans with heavily tinted windows. Rank and file Feder?les sometimes drive confiscated automobiles without bothering to remove U.S. license plates. Federale task forces cruise the roads in battered station wagons and pickup trucks.

Official identification consists of a badge and photo Identification card. When flipped open the silver badge will occupy the right flap. The badge is in the form of a shield with the inscription: POLIC?A FEDERAL. Above the inscription is a nine-digit badge number. The photo ID has the officers mug in the lower right corner. The officer's name, district, and badge number is printed on the bulk of the card. Shadowed in, in large Arial background print are the words "POLIC?A LA REP?BLICA". In a working crew of eight police officers only one will have an identification badge and photo ID.

M?xican Secret Service

The official title of appointed field agents is: Sub Deleg?do Federal Para Investigacion Nacion?l y Seguridad de la Rep?blica. Formerly called the Federal Security Directorate (DFS). Agent's responsibilities include spying on opposition political parties, infiltrating, and counter-subversion of dissident political factions, and labor union groups. Security officers normal dress is prosperous businessmen's attire. Their armament consists of weapons similar to those of the Federal Police. Their badge is a shield with the motto "Seguridad Nacion?l". Secret Service agents prefer new Dodge Cirrus (unmarked) sedans, with a radio antenna on the roof. M?xican secret service agents are at the whim of each 6-year federal administration. Many manage to stay on from term-to-term. The Secretaria de Gobernacion is the Federal administrative head of field agents.

Polic?a Federal de Caminos y Puentes

Federal Highway Patrol. Tired four-cylinder Dodge Aries and Mustang patrol cars are being replaced with the much more popular full-size Ford 8-cylinder sedans. Patrol cars are black and white, with a red and blue strobe lamp overhead light bar. Uniforms consist of brown pants and a khaki shirt. Usually armed with a 9-mm automatic.

Polic?a de Hacienda

Treasury cops. Blue and silver Dodge Ram pickups and Dodge Cirrus sedans. Blue and red overhead light bar. Dark blue pants with light blue shirt. Treasury cops intercept smuggled merchandice and arrest the participants. They are usually found near M?xico's international, borders and shipping ports. Armed with 9-mm automatics and shotguns.

Polic?a del Est?dal (PJE)

State police officers. Plain-clothed. Armed with every conceivable type of weapon. Envious of the prestige of the more elite PJF. Identification consists of a photo ID and a star or shield badge depending on the state. State cops love to cruise around in new Dodge Ram pickup trucks occasionally with six heavily armed officers perched on the bed rails. Armament takes the form of a 9-mm. or .38 caliber sidearm.

Trans?tos

Traffic cops are usually attired in brown garb and they drive regulation patrol automobiles with overhead light bars, and police identification markings on the door. Their armament consists of a revolver or semi-automatic handgun. Uniforms are usually light brown (Transitos are referred to as "tamarindos").

Ejid?ros

A ragtag assortment of civilians that are members of an Ejido. Their powers are limited and they are considered little more than an ill-trained and equipped rural police auxiliary. Transportation is via anything with wheels, usually with a Kojak bubble gum light on the roof. Many Ejideros have firearms but most cannot afford ammunition.

Note:

It is a serious violation of federal law for a plain-clothed officer to refuse to show proper identification when asked to do so.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 5-31-2005 at 12:57 PM
Plainclothes Policia

A couple of years back during the Summer, I was driving back to Percebu from San Felipe mid-afternoon in one of my Samurais.
On the straightaway near Faro Beach, there was a Black Chevy Surburban parked by the side of the road. As I approached, 3 guys jumped out and walked to the middle of the road, two of them had automatic rifles. I stopped dead in the road about 100 yards away, taking time to assess the situation. In the meantime, they are waving at me. I finally decided that they MUST be law enforcement so I drove up to where they were waiting. At this time, another guy got out of the Surburban and the four of them surrounded my Samurai. The one apparently in charge started questioning us regarding where we were going, where we had been and what we had in the vehicle. All of this time, the two with weapons were pointing them our way. Receiving satisfactory answers, El Jefe finally said "Ok, you can go".

Back in camp I related the story to the owner's son, who asked how they were dressed. When I told him they were in plain-clothes, he said that was against the law and they must wear identification. He said that I should have insisted that they identify themselves and point out to them that they were supposed to wear their jackets with ID on them. Yeah, sure !

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.