Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Ricardo
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 06:26 PM
Ricardo

Ricardo

He wandered onto my remote property south of the Bahia de Los Angeles early one day. I heard the car pull up and the engine shut off and went down the outside stairs to see who it was and what was happening.

He introduced himself in Spanish. I?ll call him Ricardo because this story paints his work habits as problematic at best and he?s a nice if troubled family man with a wife and four young children and I don?t want to defame him in any way.

Ricardo told me he had performed serious work for the previous owner of our new home. He had worked there for many years and done much of the electrical, solar, plumbing systems and was intimate with it all. We sat talking for a bit and he seemed dedicated and anxious for work. I asked him what it would cost for materials and labor to fill in a second floor outside balcony that was dangerously open to the ground below. Ricardo gave me a price that I felt was fair and we shook on it. He would start muy temprano the next morning, 7 A.M. he said. I was working in the garage when he was about to take his leave. I was sorting the solar, electrical and plumbing spare parts left by the previous owner into something I could comprehend. Ricardo spent half an hour telling me how he could use most everything in the garage if I didn?t need the items. I told him I was sorting through them and would let him know. But I knew there were a number of bulky bags of used clothing, bed linens and other items that he could have now. I would see him muy temprano the next day.

By noon he still hadn?t shown. By mid afternoon he pulled into the dusty drive with a bunch of cardon ribs in the back of his truck. By the time I arrived downstairs, Ricardo was filling an overheated radiator while his workmate pumped up a flat tire with a hand pump. Wow! Ricardo explained that his house had been entered by the Mexican Federal police early that morning, and that they had accused him of stealing the Items I?d given him from some tourist. He told me that the police had beat him, handcuffed him and thrown him in jail. He than said that after he was released he and his workmate had been out in the desert all morning looking for the ribbing. They threw the ribs onto the ground and began cleaning the thorns and small irregularities off them by means of two large machetes. I watched from a distance. Once again he asked for several items from my garage. For each he had a specific application. I put him off. I was beginning to think that Ricardo was living a life to evoke sympathy. It was having the opposite effect.

Within an hour the workers had cleaned the cardon and were headed back into town, saying they?d be back muy temprano. Ricardo, solo, returned the following afternoon. He told me his story about how a rattlesnake had cornered him in his outhouse that morning and held him at bay for some time. He then worked alone and finished the job in about half the time we had agreed it would take. His work was acceptable. When he finished and was preparing to leave he told me he?d be back at 5 A.M. to begin the next task, which I?m beginning to wonder about.

At noon the following day he?s back with another wild story. This time it?s about his ear which has developed some infection and kept him awake all night. By now I?m beginning to question everything Ricardo tells me. But he begins fronding my palapa and I say nothing. He has estimated 250 palm fronds will do the job and I have paid him for that many. By afternoon he is preparing to depart and idly mentions that I will need to have him purchase another 350 fronds to finish the job. I ask him how was he was so inefficient as to underbid the materials so significantly. He brushes the question off lightly, telling me that the first set of fronds (that he had chosen) were ?undersized.? He asks me for money to make the purchase and I hand him half of the requested amount. You?ll have to wait for the remainder until I go to Guerrero Negro I told him. ?That?s fine, Miguel,? He says. ?We will continue on schedule regardless. I?ll be here muy temprano.? Then he asks me for more spares from my garage. I?m beginning to see a pattern.

Ricardo shows up in the afternoon with a few fronds and screws them down to the cardon ribs before he?s asking for more money. I remind him that I have no more money until I get to the bank in a few days. It?s a seven hour deal just to get a maximum of $400. Ricardo doesn?t like what I?m saying. Additionally, he asks if he can have an air conditioner that is sitting on the floor of the garage. I told him to please stop asking for everything in my garage before I can determine what I need and what I don?t. He noisily throws his spare tire and tools in the back of his truck. He angrily adds water to his radiator and pumps up his leaky tire and slams off down the rocks toward town. Too bad, I?m thinking, as I?ve told him nothing but the truth and paid him more than a fair wage.

The final day of our working relationship Ricardo has yet another wild story. This past evening his wife has been bitten by a black widow spider and had to be taken to Guerrero Negro to save her life. No one else in this tiny community has heard this story and I question it without saying anything. I have obtained the necessary money to pay Ricardo, and, unknown to him, have firmly decided I will never hire him again. Never. There is no reason to aggravate the situation with words Ricardo doesn?t want to hear so I make my final decision and smile at him and pay him the last cent he will see from me.

I guess the largest lesson is to be learned in my responsibility and that would be to check out the reputation of each person you hire before they?re on your payroll. But I think the second lesson is important as well: if I put myself into the head of the Ricardos of this world, even though some of us are hungrier than others, it?s still important to just simply tell the damned truth.

In the days that followed Ricardo?s unending errors of judgment I have had another fellow recommended by friends. I stopped by to talk to him this morning, while he was at work. I observed that his work had a high degree of quality and that his labor rates were more favorable and open than Ricardo?s. I will have to tell Ricardo these facts somewhere down the line, not to ?get even? or to be malicious, but to discretely let him know that there are honest and direct folks in this world who want to do a reasonable day?s work while being factual. We could all win with those small improvements.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Humfreville
I will have to tell Ricardo these facts somewhere down the line, not to ?get even? or to be malicious, but to discretely let him know that there are honest and direct folks in this world who want to do a reasonable day?s work while being factual. We could all win with those small improvements.

Mike, with all due respect, do you really believe he doesn't know these facts already?
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 07:20 PM

Ol' Ricardo was going to eventually run out of venomous creatures to blame for his woes.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 07:28 PM

Oladulce, Sooner rather than later as his BS was getting old quickly.

Roberto, Sometimes when you can directly confront another with the garbage they've thrown at you and let them see how silly it all looks to the rest of us it can make a small improvement. Not many of us enjoy looking stupid. But on the other hand, this guy was trying to feed the horde he'd created and a little empathy doesn't stop us from understanding.

Thanks for your comments.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 07:38 PM

Mike, just a small word of "advice". If you are going to finance many projects down there, you are going to have to be more careful and do your homework more carefully.

And ... NEVER pay in advance.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 07:55 PM

you were lucky Mike and you also learned a valuable lesson that we all do here in Baja Ca. I know some people that spent tens of thousands of dollars to get the same education.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 07:55 PM

Roberto,

Speaking of which, I hear you sold your place.
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 08:13 PM

Yes, you hear right.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 08:16 PM

Mike, is Debra still there? She stopped here in O'side to pick up a bunch of 'got baja?' stickers for any Nomads she meets... Oh, and to tag your trach cans and other visible objects!!!:lol::lol::lol:

It is going to be so great to read your entries from Bahia! I hope you get Baja Bus or ?? to install a satellite Internet connection... and a live mini cam would be great too!:spingrin::light::biggrin:

If POT II is running, join us to Mision Santa Maria after the El Rosario festival!!:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexray
Super Nomad

Mood: Baja Time

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 10:32 PM
Senor Mike...

How much do you pay...I work for 'Almost Free' up here at home...with the rate of exchange in BOLA territory, that means I'd probably have to pay you!

Good to hear that 'retirement' has finally caught up with you...enjoy, amigo.

According to my clock...anytime is \'BAJA TIME\' & as Jimmy Buffett says,
\"It doesn\'t use numbers or moving hands It always just says now...\"
mrchuck
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 05:15 AM

It is sad to say but every group of homes in Baja owned by Americans has a "Ricardo", just like yours.
It is painful not to give him something.

But the biggest problem is that this "Ricardo" type, becomes the loudest mouth against the "P-nche gringo groups", that are residing in your part of Baja.
You will experience this soon, if you already haven't.

All Mexican Nationals that know "Ricardo", also know what his diatribe will be.
Make friends with the other Mexican workers plying for your business.
In 6 months, you will smile about this educational experience that you just received a diploma for.

Saludos,,,,mc
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 05:47 AM

Dicho

"If you pay the mariachis before they sing, you may not like the tune" Having said that, you have to pay for the materials so in that regard you have to trust someone. So it comes down to trusting people or not doing anything. One day your house will be just like you envisioned it and none of this will matter one whit.
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 07:54 AM

Whay you are saying is true, regarding payment of materials versus labor, and it doesn't take long to learn who's who in the community. I am willing to trust those who seem worthy and learn who are not through my own experiences as well as through the experiences of others. Your comments of locals knowing their own and who is fair and who is not and their willingness to cast off the unfair ones are absolute. If I tolerate the poor worker I will be held in disrespect also.

But it doesn't take long to find the segments of the community, both locals and foreigners, that are worthy of respect and join their ranks.

The kicker with "Ricardo" was, when I was waiting for him at his house one afternoon, one of his children came outside, grabbed a cup sitting on a box, and scooped up a drink from a 55 gallon oil drum filled with bad water. While Ricardo doesn't particularly matter to me, he's still struggling to support his family and it's his plight I care about, his family. It would be too sad to see his family pay the price of his lack of integrity. But when I throw this whole story into the evolutionary process I have to tell myself that it's all for the best.

Thanks for all your comments.
Braulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 09:16 AM

Cornered by a rattlesnake in an outhouse - you're a pretty good story teller Mike - but I think Ricardo has you beat.

Excellent stuff as usual - please keep us posted as to the house construction.
Baja Bernie
`Normal` Nomad Correspondent

Mood: Just dancing through life

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 09:51 AM
Mike

I am pleased to see you are 'almost' setttled in your new digs. Pull out my book and you will see that I only wrote good things about the Roberto's of La Salina. As everyone has said on this thread---finding the bad ones can be part of the fun too--and a great learning process and in the end it will all add to your enjoyment of these wonderful people.

Just don't waste your money on the 'shifty-less' ones. Far to many of the 'good' ones need work and they do spend it on their families while the Roberto's have a way --- of sipping it away.

Keep writing!

My smidgen of a claim to fame is that I have had so many really good friends. By Bernie Swaim December 2007
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 10:04 AM

Mike, I have had several "Ricardos" work for me here in Mex. and they all still owe me alot of money but what confuses me more about this type of outright theivery is when I see them after the fact in town and they approch me they dont mention what had happened or that they even acknowledge what they did! It is the same north of the border as well I can certainly attest to that.

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 11:46 AM

Mike, people like Ricardo will respect you more if you're firm with them and tell them "enough already". They will take advantage of your good intentions and kindness and see it as a weakness to take advantage of and disrespect you. They will deceive you and actually will start to respect you when you stop their BS. It's a weak versus strong mentality. They keep pushing until you push back.

Dr Phil
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 06:03 PM

Mike just seat down and have a nice big peace of banana cream pie and a good laugh.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 09:07 AM

Ay que Don Miguel, another great insight into every day life, thanks.

Expect we all know a Ricardo por hay. I have "met" versions of him several times. You can bet I always run when I get that gut feeling, hate whiny guys, who always have an excuse and covet everything within sight, eck.........

I doubt seriously that any comment will correct his actions, any more than it would my spelling, Jeje. Anyway, if it makes you feel better to tell him, go for it.

As to paying a worker in advance, again, I believe it is a gut feeling sorta thing. Over the years I have been paying Serafin as much as 6 months in advance to care take the huerta in Auga Caliente. He certainly doesn't over do it, but he never knows when I am going to show up there, (neither do I for that matter). Ah but when I do arrive, the wells are always dug around the trees, they are watered, and the grounds are raked clean and pristine.

He never asks me for favors, but he might bring up how much he enjoyed the pears I brought him the last visit, or how his grand kids still play with the hotwheels that I brought how many Christmas's ago. Sure he and his wife kinda are always wishing for and know that when I finally do show, I will bring a load of staples mixed with a few goodies. Of course, I always do, I think it is a ranchero owner kind of thing to do.

[Edited on 6-4-2005 by Eli]
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 01:12 AM

David, Mike must have known I was coming "armed" I couldn't find a single trash can at this place! :lol:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.