Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  7
Author: Subject: Help Save The Todos Santos Sand Dunes
BajaRescue
Junior Nomad

Mood: Undecided

exclamation.gif posted on 6-1-2005 at 07:19 PM
Help Save The Todos Santos Sand Dunes

If you've ever been to Todos Santos and experienced the magic of the place, or if you're simply concerned about protecting Baja from greedy developers, the Todos Santos Sand Dunes are now under attack.

A developer wants to build over 55 homes directly on the Todos Santos dunes. These dunes are a fragile ocean/beach environment that will most likely be destroyed if this out-of-town developer is not stopped from executing his plans.

If you can help in any way, please do. We don't have much time to go before SEMARNAP, The Mexican EPA, and put a stop to this. We need volunteers to help with legal fees, circulating petitions, meetings, and getting the word out to others who can help...

If you care at all about what development is doing to destroy the natural wonders of Baja, please visit http://www.bajarescue.com/dunes/ for more info.

OR FOR MORE INFORMATION, CALL SERGIO JUAREQUI AT (011-52) 612 14 50780
OR ELENA MORENO AT (011-52) 612 14 50050.

Todos Santos Technologies
http://www.todossantostechnologies.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 07:34 PM

From the tire tracks in your photo, I guess it would also be a loss to recreational off roading?:o

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 6-1-2005 at 08:17 PM

There is no persons and/or corporation of this transaction to be, listed here in your post or the Website. Have a name? Sand Dunes are great here in San Felipe too.....which now have chunks of concrete and glass (a.k.a. homes) perching about. Progress...cannot be stopped in most cases. BTW...you own a home down there? I am sure all the developement that currently exist there, is from "greedy developers"

[Edited on 6-2-2005 by yankeeirishman]

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
BajaRescue
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 06:13 AM
RE: Help Save The Todos Santos Sand Dunes

Quote:
From the tire tracks in your photo, I guess it would also be a loss to recreational off roading?
As in other places in Baja, driving on the beach in Todos Santos with any kind of motorized vehicle is illegal but people do it anyway.

Quote:
BTW...you own a home down there? I am sure all the developement that currently exist there, is from "greedy developers"
I rent an older 600 Sqf. house in the barrio near town. I am a plumber and an electrical contractor by trade, and I'm all for development if it respects the environment and the wishes of the local population. Yes, all development is destructive to some extent but there are plenty of good places to build in Todos Santos besides the beach. I used the word "greedy" because this developer knows he can make more money selling beachfront property to rich Americans, and without giving a thought for the local environment. He is trying to buy his way into modifying the laws to allow him to build there. His last name is Ogden, he apparently lives in Cabo, and I don't know if there is a corporation involved. I think not. I'll post more details as I have them.

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 07:36 AM
Hilton Hotel and McDonalds marching in.....

Thanks for the response.
You are in part, correct. You are commended for giving a damn about the land! Good for you, and all luck for your (one of many) future battle of the landwar.

But...
I own and lease in Mexico. Not all of it is on the Beachfront. My personal home we are building in Campos Octillio is near the water...a few blocks away. I have holdings far off the water's edge. I am a ?Rich American?(I just ain?t poor) that has a buck or two, with a Mexican nationalist neighbor has the beachfront home at our Campos.
San Felipe at one time was sand dunes, wild native brush, and the ocean blues. And your town was too. San Diego too! Trying to fight the advancing humans with their habitats is futile. Zoning laws are changed everyday, everywhere. The desire to expand will always be there in the human mind. All to be, will be!
At best?try to work with the Real Estate developer, to a compromise. You?ll end up with a lot more. Try asking for native landscasping, smaller houses, designed improvements that goes with the land, More land per unit...so forth. Don?t get me wrong?. I hate seeing the destruction of the land. I watched the Irvine Ranch swallow up the green hills of Newport Beach where we used to live in the 50-60s.

[Edited on 6-2-2005 by yankeeirishman]

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 08:25 AM

"Trying to fight the advancing humans with their habitats is futile."

It's that fatalist, distancing attitude which ALLOWS those things to happen. The silence of mankind, doing nothing, is the most destructive. If you'd get off your collective asses - nationality be damned (after all, they're building for YOU) you could change things.

So many entities are tasked with protecting this environment in Baja, CA - WHERE ARE THEY NOW? They are failing. Why?
BajaRescue
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 03:04 PM

While we're working to stop this particular project, we're also drafting a community plan for development in Todos Santos. This will take time, money and lawyers.

Again, I'm not at all against development or rich Americans. I hope to build a home here one day myself and I would love to be rich. But I am against what I see as a blatant disregard of the will of the local population and the environmental laws of Mexico just so someone can build in a Federally-protected area that will negatively impact the local environment for years to come.

Also, this area can and will get hit by hurricanes. As we've seen elsewhere, beachfront projects like this one are an invitation to disaster and loss of life. I know you can only do so much to protect people from themselves, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

You're right, development can't be halted. But it can be channeled and made to conform to community standards. There are master plans in many communities in the US and the same can be done here. I heard it took 20 years to develop one for Cabo, but by that time it was largely too late.

Hopefully, it won't take us that long...

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 03:41 PM

Quote:

You're right, development can't be halted. But it can be channeled and made to conform to community standards. There are master plans in many communities in the US and the same can be done here. I heard it took 20 years to develop one for Cabo, but by that time it was largely too late.

Hopefully, it won't take us that long...

the last thing I want is to make Baja Ca. just like the US. the thing that gives Mexican towns and villages there charm is the lack of a master plan. such American inventions should stay north of the border. in Laredo they are building what they call an authentic Mexican village with a master plan.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 05:13 PM
"All your beach are belong to us"

And Fonatur has a master plan, currently being reviewed by Loreto and a team of university professors from the US and Mexico that calls for all of the area's beaches (sand, gravel and rocky) to be designated for development. A 35 mile stretch. Where cliffs drop straight to the sea will be "conservation zones."

No public beaches, no parks, from Ensenada Blanca to El Bajo north of Loreto. ALL for developers. "The Authentic Mexican Villages of Loreto Bay" is only a small step.

Fonatur...the Evil Empire!

And they're coming to Mulage and Bahia Concepcion, rumor says! Bwahahaha! :o
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 05:57 PM

the next few years are going to be very interesting. those of us. that were smart enough to Tye up some water a few years ago are going to be the ones to come out on top I hope.If we can manage to hold on to it against the big boys. the water is worth much more than the Land. the city wells in Mulege are already starting to get salty. in cabo they rented the sewer water to the golf courses for 1,000,000 dollars.:?:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 06:08 PM
When the gringos come

it turns into another gringolandia, no matter how you look at it or what pretentious gibberish goes along with it. Most people I know don't even go to Todos Santos anymore because it is so unMexico like. Too many "neuter and spade brigades" so to speak!
Capt. George
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 10:34 PM

Again, I see and deal with the multitudes of "I got miners"....what crap! There are a lot of people out there on their way to Baja, ya ain't gonna stop it or slow it up. Unfortuneately money talks etc.

Over the next 5 to 8 years you will see staggering developement in Baja whether u like it or not....the baby boomers aka "me generation" are coming, with lots and lots of dinero....need safe haven...little petty crime, no real violent crime... a place of beauty and peace, can you blame them?

Do I want this? No, but here I am none the less, a little late...who am I to deny others...tooooo many people...how about a nuclear war, that'll give us more room...Get real and get over it, go about your business and enjoy it as long as you can.....

Not everywhere is for everyone, go where you really like, maybe no one else will come, YEAH RIGHT!!!!!

Capt. George............ I feel fortunate for all the things I'VE had before the explosion of pseudo adventurers.......
BajaRescue
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
It's that fatalist, distancing attitude which ALLOWS those things to happen.
I agree. It's just a dodge to justify inaction.

Quote:
Most people I know don't even go to Todos Santos anymore because it is so unMexico like. Too many "neuter and spade brigades" so to speak!
Aren't "Neuter and Spay Brigades" just code words for "Elitist Gringos?". Your response makes it sound like it's just the Todos Santos Gringos backing this effort. The truth is that many Mexican nationals are leading the effort to stop this and many more have signed the petitions.

BTW, they are also involved in spay and neuter here, FWIW.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 08:30 AM

so BajaRescue why do you want to add to the problem by becoming a resident there? would it be the politically correct thang to do to abstain? it seems kind of hypocritical what you are saying.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 08:35 AM

Kind of like: "now that I have moved to Baja, the rest of you stay away", huh Bruce?:lol:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 08:38 AM

"... a place of beauty and peace." Which will be destroyed with every development project. Little by little the peace and beauty erodes until all you have is private property, fences, petty crime, and an un-Mexican homogenous norteamericano commercialized cesspool. When you take an objective look at all of the development plans - Escalera Nautica, development of Loreto, Juncalito, Conception Bay, Todos Santos, the other mega-development on the Cape, you will see that there will be very few places left for the majority of Baja travelers. Who is profiting, really? The true worth and value of Baja, CA is the unspoiled peace and beauty, which is becoming a finite resource. It will be lost unless we, an opposing voice, become a force which will turn the tide.
And here's something else to lament (I got this yesterday):

Dear BioGems Defender,

We need your immediate help to save the most important whale habitat on the planet. Five years ago, our very first BioGems campaign won a stunning victory over the Mitsubishi Corporation and its plan to build a colossal salt factory on the banks of the world's last undisturbed gray whale birthing ground -- at San Ignacio Lagoon in Baja, Mexico.

Thanks to our efforts, when hundreds of pregnant gray whales arrive at the lagoon each winter they still find what generations of whales before them have always found: warm, tranquil waters for giving birth . . . complete sanctuary from killer orcas . . . and placid surf where one-ton newborns can hone their swimming skills for the arduous journey back to Alaska.

But San Ignacio Lagoon has never received permanent protection. And, today, there are ominous signs that this irreplaceable whale nursery may soon be threatened by plans for industrialization . . . oil and gas drilling . . .
massive high-rise hotels . . . and resort marinas with ocean-bound ships.
That's why NRDC and our Mexican partners are now racing to safeguard the whales' lagoon in the only way possible: by buying up the development rights to the surrounding one million acres and putting them off-limits to industry forever.

Securing a stretch of coastline this big could easily cost tens of billions of
dollars in the United States. But we estimate the total cost of permanently
protecting Mexico's San Ignacio Lagoon to be about $9.9 million. That's an
average cost of only $10 per acre!

At that price, saving the gray whale nursery is not just feasible, it's a dream that BioGems Defenders like you can turn into a beautiful reality. And that is how it should be. After all, it took one million citizens to bring Mitsubishi to its knees back in 2000. So it's only right that every BioGems Defender should have a stake in saving the gray whale nursery forever.

We need to purchase the development rights for the first 140,000 acres of land within the next month. To meet that deadline, we're counting on your immediate support. Please look into your own heart and decide what it's worth that Pacific gray whales will always have one perfect lagoon, where their newborns can enter the world as Mother Nature intended -- wild and free. Then please go to ttps://www.savebiogems.org/baja/donate_d.asp
and protect just as many acres of this irreplaceable whale habitat as you
possibly can by making your most generous donation.

If you want to do even more, then please forward this message to anyone you know who might want to help save our planet's last undisturbed gray whale nursery. Thank you.

Sincerely,

John H. Adams
President
Natural Resources Defense Council
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 08:45 AM

Let's take it one step further and say no pavement allowed between El Rosario or Puertecitos south to Guerrero Negro! Keep Baja Pure!!!

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 08:45 AM

Here we go again:yawn:

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

jerry
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 08:53 AM

it seems the same in baja as in the states i got mine screw you, once they have there piece of heaven the "stop the development" bell clangs loud
before i got my little peace of heaven in loreto and from the start of the loreto bay project and i continue to think that development will happen and i think its a lot better to have it with some type of originization rather then piecemeal with no restrants look what happened in cabo? imagin 6000 homes in the loreto area with no planning??i feel i have no place telling another country what it can do i only have influence by my example and trying to let the my native friends know how there actions and there governments actions will directly effect them in the future

jerry and judi
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 09:21 AM

Look at the real authentic Mexican Townes Like the origanal Cabo san Luces or even Todos Santos 15 years ago they have lots of of homes and only limited Mexican planing. and they are quite nice outside of the Gringo gated community's. Todos Santos was one of the Jules of Baja Ca. before all of the US and Canadian people started planing it. now it is a retirement community for geriatric Hippies.

oh boy I'm going to catch heck for that one. Have at.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Pages:  1    3  ..  7

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.