Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I need help with a 2002 Ford ranger
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

Mood: A lot cooler than Mulege

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 08:56 AM
I need help with a 2002 Ford ranger

Help please.
dose any one have a 2002 Ford ranger or newer oner Manuel? or can any one tell me the proper way to drive one that has the new for automatic 4 speed with auto overdrive transmission? I have acquired one of these trucks with out the owner Manuel. and the transmission is deferent than the old one I am used to . on the old one you did not engage the overdrive unless you were going over 55 miles per hour. and It looks like the new one is made so you can leave it on all the time. but I don't know for sure.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 04:49 PM

I wish I had those kind of troubles.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 06:20 PM

mine is a manual tranny, but i think that you should shift into OD only when you're going fast enough.

Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 07:03 PM

Woody do you have the owner manual?

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bruce R Leech
Help please.
dose any one have a 2002 Ford ranger or newer oner Manuel? or can any one tell me the proper way to drive one that has the new for automatic 4 speed with auto overdrive transmission? I have acquired one of these trucks with out the owner Manuel. and the transmission is deferent than the old one I am used to . on the old one you did not engage the overdrive unless you were going over 55 miles per hour. and It looks like the new one is made so you can leave it on all the time. but I don't know for sure.

Try this
http://www.fordf150.net/specs/02ranger.php

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 07:27 PM

thanks yankeeirishman but I checked that yesterday it only gives you the specs.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 07:42 PM

Don't know about the Ranger trany, but I have a Ford truck with auto w/overdrive and you leave it on all the time. only turn it off if you really don't want to use it.

:biggrin:

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 08:13 PM
bruce,

since you obviously have access to the internet,you should go on one of the many ford truck forums available on the internet,most of them actually have certified mechanics to answer your questions....here is one specifically for rangers:http://www.ranger-forums.com/forum2/home.php
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-2-2005 at 08:25 PM
Bajalou is right

Use overdrive all the time. Only take it out of overdrive if you are going up a longish hill and it wants to downshift on it's own, no matter how much gas you give it. This is especially true if you are towing something or have the bed loaded with alot of weight.

General rule of thumb.....if you depress the accelerator when it is in overdrive and it takes longer than 5 seconds to increase 5 miles per hour (or it doesn't increase at all) then you probably shouldn't be in OD. It's easier on the tranny to run at RPMs slightly above the midpoint of 3rd gear than to "lug" 4th gear (assuming this is a 4-speed). If it is a 5 speed, apply this rule to gears 4 and 5.

Ignore the rule of thumb if you are traveling at speeds approaching 100 miles per hour.....you may be reaching the limit of OD. :lol:
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 08:41 AM

bajalou and Hook I think you are correct this is kind of what I was picking up on the websites but they did not do nearly as god of a Job of explaining it as tho guys did. you should go to work for Ford writing there manuals.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 09:07 AM

I have a 2002 Ranger. I'll look at it tonight when I get home and see if there is anything in there that addresses your concerns. I'm at work now and the Ranger truck is at home.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 09:22 AM

thanks Bob

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

yankeeirishman
Banned

[*] posted on 6-3-2005 at 10:04 AM
oh...this is great!

http://www.allexperts.com/

hey....this is a great site for any questions to be answered by a pro(s)! it's free and very interesting.

What control freaks there are here. Don\'t believe that post you just read!
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 12:37 PM

Quote:
thanks Bob

Bruce, my manual says that the overdrive can be deactivated by pressing the transmission control switch on the end of the gearshift lever. The transmission control indicator light (TCIL) will illuminate on the instrument cluster.

Drive - Not shown on the display. Activate by pressing the transmission control switch on the end of the gearshift lever with the gearshift in the D (overdrive) position. The TCIL will illuminate on the instrument cluster. Transmission operates in gears one through four (it's actually a five speed automatic). Drive (O/D OFF) provides more engine braking than D (Overdrive) and is useful whenver driving conditions (i.e. city traffic, hilly terrain, etc) cause the transmission to excessively shift between D (Overdrive) and other gears. Deactivete D (Overdrive) when:

-driving with a heavy load

-towing a trailer up or down steep hills

-additional engine braking is desired.

To return to D (Overdrive) mode, press the transmission control switch. The TCIL will no longer be illuminated.

Each time the vehicle is started, the transmission will automatically return to normel D (Overdrive) mode.

Use 2 (Second) to start-up on slippery roads or to provide additional engine braking on downgrades.

Use 1 (First) to provide maximum engine braking on steep downgrades. Upshifts can be made by shifting to 2 (Second) or to D (Overdrive). Selecting 1 (Low) at higher speeds causes the transmission to shift to a lower gear and will shift to 1 (First) after the vehicle decelerates to the proper vehicle speed.

Forced Downshifts
To gain acceleration in D (Overdrive) or Drive (O/D OFF) when passing another vehicle, push the accelerator to the floor. The transmission will downshift to the appropriate gear: fourth, third, second, or first gear.

This is directly from the manual for 2002 Ranger.

Hope this helps.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
turtleandtoad
Senior Nomad

Mood: Good if fishing

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 05:56 PM

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

That's exactly what the manual on my 1998 Class A with the Ford 460 engine says!

Mike & Robin; Full-Time RV\'ers
37\' Georgetown w/3 slides & 275 Watts of Solar Power
06 Taco TRD
www.turtleandtoad.com
I am here

To paraphrase Frank Lloyd Wright; I\'m all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let\'s start with keyboards. -- Mike Dean
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 06:12 PM

Bruce

There was a recall of the rear end on that model year ranger, if it wasn't fixed don't do any hot rodding.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 06:35 PM

thanks comitan do you know what the problem is .

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-4-2005 at 07:02 PM

Bruce

I did find it again and its for manual trans. only.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bruce R Leech
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-6-2005 at 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
thanks Bob

Bruce, my manual says that the overdrive can be deactivated by pressing the transmission control switch on the end of the gearshift lever. The transmission control indicator light (TCIL) will illuminate on the instrument cluster.

Drive - Not shown on the display. Activate by pressing the transmission control switch on the end of the gearshift lever with the gearshift in the D (overdrive) position. The TCIL will illuminate on the instrument cluster. Transmission operates in gears one through four (it's actually a five speed automatic). Drive (O/D OFF) provides more engine braking than D (Overdrive) and is useful whenver driving conditions (i.e. city traffic, hilly terrain, etc) cause the transmission to excessively shift between D (Overdrive) and other gears. Deactivete D (Overdrive) when:

-driving with a heavy load

-towing a trailer up or down steep hills

-additional engine braking is desired.

To return to D (Overdrive) mode, press the transmission control switch. The TCIL will no longer be illuminated.

Each time the vehicle is started, the transmission will automatically return to normel D (Overdrive) mode.

Use 2 (Second) to start-up on slippery roads or to provide additional engine braking on downgrades.

Use 1 (First) to provide maximum engine braking on steep downgrades. Upshifts can be made by shifting to 2 (Second) or to D (Overdrive). Selecting 1 (Low) at higher speeds causes the transmission to shift to a lower gear and will shift to 1 (First) after the vehicle decelerates to the proper vehicle speed.

Forced Downshifts
To gain acceleration in D (Overdrive) or Drive (O/D OFF) when passing another vehicle, push the accelerator to the floor. The transmission will downshift to the appropriate gear: fourth, third, second, or first gear.

This is directly from the manual for 2002 Ranger.

Hope this helps.
Bob H

Bob dose the manual say what it means when you are driving in OD and the overdrive off light starts flashing on its own.

Bruce R Leech
Ensenada

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.