Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Cracked, Emergency, Marty, Part 2
Brandi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 11:03 AM
Cracked, Emergency, Marty, Part 2

Shortly after getting out of the airplane, a couple of police officers show up and are trying to assess our situation. About this time, Julio Cesar Weissner, who had been in the van we landed in front of (and who took photos of the landing) , pulls out his cell phone and is making calls. I asked him if I could use his phone to call some friends. It just so happens that my friend and neighbor in Gonzaga, John Baretta, lives not far from the border. I am fortunate that not only does my call go through, that John and Heather have forwarded their telephone (they are at Walmart when they receive my call) and John answers even though his caller id does not identify who is calling (he usually won't answer if he doesn't know who it is). Our connection is bad and all he hears is that we're broke down about kilometer 37 just outside of Mexicali on Highway 5, but Heather is in the background and tells John "John, they flew, not drove" and John replies to me "We'll be there as soon as we can." I feel a little better knowing John & Heather are on their way. John knows EVERYBODY and was confident he would know what we should do. About this time, Gene had removed the cowling and had discovered the engine block had a big crack in it.

Hours start ticking by and more and more authorities (of every possible division) keep showing up. We are asked the same questions, over and over again by everyone. No one seemed to understand how we came to be parked here, in the opposite direction of our destination, even after they had seen the damaged engine. At one point, we are completely surrounded by the military and I notice they are driving around in the desert looking for anything we may have "dropped". As I notice more and more military showing up, I began getting extremely nervous. It's right about now, that John and Heather show up. Thank Goodness, I began to breathe a little easier.

It's completely dark now, and we're still answering questions. The confusion seems to lie in the fact that we never made it to our point of entry, so basically, there is no record of us at all. Gene's flight plan was done by phone and the fact that we have to "papers" to back this up is really confusing the police. Once the Commandante assessed the situation, talked with Gene, asked us questions and talked with Baretta, we were told we could go. Great! But what of the plane? The commandante informed us he would be sending two officers to guard the plane all night. Gene and John are to meet the commandante at the Mexicali airport at 9:00 a.m. Friday morning. Once informed that we were in the clear, all military and other officials took off and we were left standing alone in the dark next to the plane.

We unload all our belongings and toss all in Heather's 4-Runner, pack ourselves in and head for Mexicali. A couple of miles into the drive John says "You know, I've got Gene's van in San Felipe" (this is another story) "and anyone still wanting to head south could hop in and keep going." I ponder on this new idea. Let's just get to the hotel and get a bite to eat and talk it over, I say to John.

We arrived at The Lucerna somewhere between 8:30 and 9:30. Everyone heads straight to the bar and the drinks begin flowing. The Lucerna doesn't know what's hit them. As the time ticks away, Tom and Tom are high-fiving everybody exclaiming "WE ARE SURVIVORS!" We go on to the restaurant and the Van/Gonzaga topic resumes. It is decided that John and Heather will head home, Heather will pack a few things, get some sleep and call us before heading towards the border again in the morning.

The five of us "survivors" get rooms and continue on to the dance club. We are all weary, but have a good time anyway. About 1:00 a.m., Mike and I say good-night and head off to our room.

Friday, September 19
6:30 a.m. - Phone rings and wakes us up. It's Heather. She's on her way.

8:00 a.m. - John and Heather show up at The Lucerna in two vehicles. Mike and I hop in with Heather, John and Gene head towards the airport.

We're off to Gonzaga and let the adventure begin!
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 11:43 AM

ye ha what a great ending.....a story to tell over and over. Congrats to you all!!!!

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower
Brandi
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 12:22 PM

BUT....Bajabus....It's not over yet......
BajaVida
Senior Nomad

Mood: muy cool

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 03:03 PM
a true Baja adventure

can't wait to hear more

[Edited on 9-27-2003 by BajaVida]

No se apure y dure.

Don\'t hurry and you\'ll last longer.
Family Guy
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 08:55 PM

...first dibs on the movie rights. :biggrin:
Bajabus
Senior Nomad

Mood: My friends..it's good.

[*] posted on 9-27-2003 at 09:55 PM

OMG post away. I always clapped to early at plays and events........my humble apologies.

"Preventive war was an invention of Hitler. Frankly I would not even listen to anyone seriously that came and talked of such a thing." Dwight David Eisenhower

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.